well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Amazon splits ‘HQ2’ / Arlington and NYC
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon splits ‘HQ2’ / Arlington and NYC
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
Seen on Twitter:

The NYC subway was ill,
Affordable housing near nil.
Officials there knew
The wise thing to do:
Give Amazon $1.5 bil.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
They are expanding their footprint in Wilmington, OH, at the airpark where DHL folded a few years ago. Good for the local economy.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Article here.

The comments section is interesting.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
6 Senators now. That should be enough for most reasonable contingencies.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
This whole thing irks me, though I'm struggling to explain why. I guess the dog and pony show of cities scrambling to put together proposals and parade in front of Bezos & Co., only to see the selection made primarily on the basis of the best financial deal strikes me as corporate bullying.

PDX put together a proposal. I was not involved but know several people who were. They were never really in the running (too close to SEA, for starters), but had they known that the decision would come down to cold, hard cash, I think everyone would have turned their attention to other projects.

I also think that this pattern of extremely wealthy corporations demanding that cities give them massive tax breaks and other financial incentives to move to their area is poor policy. "The rich get richer" and all that. If you think of the major economic movers and shakers in the USA, they all started as a good idea, and a good idea transcends geography for the most part. Bellevue was an affluent suburb of Seattle before M'soft. Silicon Valley was plum orchards. Austin/Round Rock, Texas was a patch of blue hippiedom in greater red TX.

So yeah, Amazon had a good idea and pushed it to the hilt. Why do we have to fund its expansion? Will the jobs really pay enough for these cities to recoup their investment? Or is it another case of huge promises that fail to materialize.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of kathyk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Seen on Twitter:

The NYC subway was ill,
Officials there knew
The wise thing to do:
Give Amazon $1.5 bil.

Son, James is distraught. The L train will be shutting down in a few months. Masses of Brooklynites will no longer have ready access to Manhattan for jobs, etc. He thinks it's part of a ploy to purge low income people and get them to abandon their rent-controlled and rent stabilized housing so older buildings will be razed and new, high priced apartment buildings will come in for the influx of tech workers. Gentrification is already happening in Bushwick, and with the loss of convenient transportation, it could expedite the transition.

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF.

Posts: 11691 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kathyk:
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Seen on Twitter:

The NYC subway was ill,
Officials there knew
The wise thing to do:
Give Amazon $1.5 bil.

Son, James is distraught. The L train will be shutting down in a few months. Masses of Brooklynites will no longer have ready access to Manhattan for jobs, etc. He thinks it's part of a ploy to purge low income people and get them to abandon their rent-controlled and rent stabilized housing so older buildings will be razed and new, high priced apartment buildings will come in for the influx of tech workers. Gentrification is already happening in Bushwick, and with the loss of convenient transportation, it could expedite the transition.
Wow. It's almost like the Trump Crime Family has taken over.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
They’vr been talking about the need to close the L since it was damaged by Hurricane Sandy.

That’s a pretty elaborate plot.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Are they closing it for repairs or are they closing it permanently?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Repairs. And they announced it literally years in advance.

Minor Deity
Picture of kathyk
posted Hide Post
Run down of Repairs I guess the post-Sandy repairs have been a bandaid waiting to unravel.

Posts: 11691 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of kathyk
posted Hide Post
And Ii get your point about J's musings, Jon, but you've got to wonder what it's going to do to an already really stressed housing market.

quote:
New York’s housing market is already tight. The share of housing units available to low-income households fell 12.9 percent between 2006 and 2016, according to a 2017 report from NYU’s Furman Center. The city said in September that it has lost more than 400,000 affordable housing units since 2005.

Atlantic Article

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Why Amazon Is Caught in an Unexpected Brawl in New York
https://nyti.ms/2E7UyGQ

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
This is rich:

quote:
“Amazon is big, but it’s not bigger than New York. They don’t get to tell us what to do.”

The US is big. Queens doesn't get to tell Amazon what to do either. I'm sure we would welcome Amazon on the peninsula if they wanted to double down in VA.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Re the L train, then there's Gov. Cuomo's contention that it can be repaired rather simply and with only minor nighttime shutdowns. I don't know where the plans stand at the moment, but it's a serious proposal.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post