well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Easy decisions
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Easy decisions
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
When you put it that way... ThumbsUp

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Nothing to think about. If someone can use anything I leave have at it. I won’t be needing them.

Pretty sure the liver will be a no go. Evil

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I have been a registered organ donor since I was 18. In Washington state, it's on our drivers license.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I wonder when old is too old...

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
My mother died at 75. They took her corneas.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The body renews itself over seven years.
Have not had a drink in seven years.
My liver may now be worth something. Big Grin

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
The body renews itself over seven years.
Have not had a drink in seven years.
My liver may now be worth something. Big Grin

Congratulations!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
While I agree with the sentiment of this picture, it seems to assume that nondonors have very informal burial arrangements…

Myself, I have a few organs that are hardly being used at all. Some lucky person is could get near-mint donations from me.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
While I agree with the sentiment of this picture, it seems to assume that nondonors have very informal burial arrangements…

Landfill is landfill.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
And yes, Chas, congratulations!

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Jon, you are the reason I am an organ donor.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome to hear, really.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Youall are reminding me I need to check whether or not I still qualify as an organ donor. It always gave me a good feeling to have that option checked on my drivers license, plus I was also on the marrow donor list.

Thing is I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2015, followed by a double mastectomy (the double part was at my request) which revealed at pathology no sign of malignancy anywhere include "sentinel nodes". Accordingly, I didn't need chemo, radiation or even hormone blockers. If I hadn't been required - at the time much resented - to have a second biopsy (from a very different part of the right breast), I'd fear I lost my breasts for nothing.

I prefer to consider myself hugely fortunate all told (especially when I read of women who've suffered all the indignities I was spared).

But back to the first point...Do I still qualify as an organ and marrow donor? According to my expert source ("Dr. House" show), there are levels of qualification, meaning that some folks whose creds to receive transplants are marginal on account of age or other med problems, would welcome organs from a donor like me. One who might be considered compromised. I have no systemic problems at all apart from low thyroid and slight atrial fibrillation (spine is a mess but that couldn't count). I'd figure my organs except for the heart would be "catches" even for someone not in the marginal recipient group. (I'll bet my lungs, kidneys and liver are pristine. Smiler )

But does the medical system view it that way (just in case that "House" show doesn't provide a final verdict)? Surely, they would check my medical records carefully post-trauma (or whatever lays me at death's door), but checking that box per protocol would probably be helpful.

What IS protocol, though? I'd hate to uncheck it if not necessary. Especially pertinent since I need to renew my drivers' license within a week!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
Youall are reminding me I need to check whether or not I still qualify as an organ donor.
As lay people, we just indicate our willingness to donate. Actual fitness for transplant will be determined by the medical professionals if/when the time comes. So just check the "yes" box and rest assured that you checking "yes" can only help and never hurt anyone or anything. Smiler

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post