well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    D*mn this lack of testing!!!!! (getting close to home here)
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

D*mn this lack of testing!!!!! (getting close to home here)
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
People just need to sit their butts down in their houses and ride this out.

This.

Well, and, everyone needs to hear this message and take it to heart. This is the area in which everyone could make a positive difference, if only they knew and believed it.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18399 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
People just need to sit their butts down in their houses and ride this out.

This.

Well, and, everyone needs to hear this message and take it to heart. This is the area in which everyone could make a positive difference, if only they knew and believed it.

If we knew the actual reality we are dealing with, that would do a lot to get people to take this seriously. They wouldn't be able to delude themselves into thinking that their community is safe. And even if cases taper off because everyone stays at home, the disease will be back unless it is addressed more directly by knowing who does or doesn't have it. Otherwise this is just a wing and a prayer.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21323 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I don't disagree with you piqué.

But as WTG shows in her comments, we just can't do the kind of testing we would need to do to have the impact you're talking about.

The only recourse at this point is for the federal government, and each state government, to be on the same page and to be relentless in getting out the message. This, as we can see, is not happening.

So, yeah, we're doomed.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18399 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
Jodi, two people in MT higher ed (that I am aware of) quarantined themselves after contact with a known case, and publicly announced it. One of them tested positive.

Yeah, and neither one of them was anywhere near Steve at those meetings, and he wasn’t sick then. Many doctors were consulted and though the media made it sound like Steve was the vector the doctors said that is was highly unlikely he was the vector. Doctors said The one who tested positive likely got it from someplace else - he had been in contact with MANY other people, and had gone To many meetings, just like Steve.

I didn't see even the slightest suggestion in the media that steve had anything to do with this. They didn't make any comment one way or the other about who the known case was--that I saw.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
, we just can't do the kind of testing we would need to do to have the impact you're talking about.

We can't at present. But that can be changed if someone decides to change it.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
pique, there is plenty of evidence of what is happening if people are open to it.

There are videos of what is happening in Italy. Doctors speaking about what they are facing. Military trucks loaded with bodies. People in hospital beds in the hallways. Doctors and nurses dying of the disease.

If that isn't getting someone's attention, then telling them how many people are testing positive isn't going to make a damn bit of difference.

Not to mention that you can test negative one day and a week later you're positive. And it's an easily transmitted virus. Seems that droplets can hang in the air for three hours, on cardboard surfaces for 24 hours, and on hard surfaces for days. I applaud what grocery stores are trying to do with keeping things clean, but wiping down a self-checkout register or the handles on the refrigerator case every three hours isn't going to stop people from picking up the virus.

The Chinese stopped it by putting 60 million people in isolation. They didn't ask them to sit on their butts, they made them do it.

It worked.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37859 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
What I don't get, is the apparent discrepancy between testing methods. Jodi described a real ordeal (but blessedly short) - with sample gathering WAY up in her sinuses, and gag-making throat swabbing. Also a LONG waiting period for results.

Meanwhile, S. Korea and other places do drive by checks based on nothing but swabbing the inner cheek (and only hours to wait). WHAT GIVES?

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Re simpler tests referred to above, there's this in Japan! Curse

"Ten-minute" tests in Japan.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotli...ute-coronavirus-test

While there are drive through "testing pods" in S. Korea. 40 minutes to get results.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/28...outh-korea-12318106/

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I live in a place with few confirmed cases. And lots of people who are ignoring what they should know. Plenty of them are insisting-- still--that c19 is less of a problem than seasonal flu. The truth won't be real to them until they know people who have it. By then social distancing will be too little too late.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I totally hear you. I told this story earlier, but you may not have seen it.

I have friends who get their news from Fox. They live around the corner. Our town already had two confirmed cases (numbers 3 and 4 in Illinois) and a hundred people were under observation because they had contact with the couple. The husband was hospitalized and the wife quarantined at home immediately.

Around that time my friends were singing the "media is hyping this" song. I sent them some info from a public health person at Hopkins, and also a video from a regional health minister in northern Italy.

They finally got what I was trying to say. But I think it was a combination of the information and probably even more so, Trump changing his tune.

If someone doesn't want to believe it, they won't until they or someone they know has gotten sick. It's pretty ingrained in some folks' basic nature. Logic and numbers don't work on a lot of people. They need to see things play out.

Regrettably, by then it's often too late.

edit: Florida is a really good example of the impossible to convince. Why the governor hasn't closed the beaches is a total mystery.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37859 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
But WHY are the Americana tests so much more complex , uncomfortable, time consuming (and presumably more expensive) than Japan, S Korea, and other countries?

What are we doing wrong apart from not administering tests)?

Described above. See links.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There have been a lot of tests developed. A hospital in a nearby suburb developed their own. They started working on it in January because they thought this virus was going to be big. It gives results in four hours.

Unfortunately, without coordination at the federal level, everyone is building their own mousetraps, and they're all different.

Bazootiehead-in-training