well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    D*mn this lack of testing!!!!! (getting close to home here)
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

D*mn this lack of testing!!!!! (getting close to home here)
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
We have two official cases in the "university community," but Oklahoma is one of those states that can't possibly acknowledge that this is going on, because doing so would somehow "score a point for the lib'ruls." Thus, there have to be more people who are sick or who are carriers.

I'm in touch on Facebook or Twitter with many of the people in my college, and we all have offices in the same building, with most of us on the same floor. Most of us teach all of our classes in this building, which is officially devoted to the College of Journalism, but is in actuality used for overflow classes from a number of departments.
Anyway, if someone were sick, I think I'd know about it.

All of that aside, I've now passed out of the window of time when I might be sick from being exposed in that building, because I left a week before things got bad to go on that ill-advised trip. I'm almost out of the window when I might be sick from exposure during that trip, so that's a relief.

You know, I think Quirt has that hunter-gatherer thing going on. Smiler He's been staying close to home during this crisis, but the internet brings hunting and gathering to you....

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Re WTG:

quote:
The message I've heard is "If you feel sick at all, assume it's COVID-19 and act accordingly."

Yes, I'm hearing this message as well.

But there's no official statements (in this state anyway) that acknowledge that there are waaay more cases than just the confirmed stats suggest.

I think we need a statewide "shelter in place" order down here, and it needs to come with a heavy dose of "scare the **** out of you" verbiage.

People will not listen otherwise.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18503 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
MA, glad you are nearing the end of those "incubation" windows. I think I am too, and since Mr. SK isn't going to be allowed to go gathering, he will be too! :P

Back to my endless rant... At my uni, their covid update page has a big inset that shows a zero in the box for confirmed cases here, and in the bullet pointed list, they repeat "no confirmed cases on campus or at any university facility."

And no where does it say "but we assume there are cases in the community, so please act accordingly." Or better, "local doctors report patients with COVID-like symptoms."

You know, if it said that, and then followed with "however, due to a shortage of tests and PPE, we cannot test all suspicious cases" then people would be up in arms. Instead there's this quiet reservation and underlying sense that all these school closings are an overreaction.

Grrrr.

Posts: 18503 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The message here is definitely different than where you are. A week ago I talked to someone who lives in the southeast part of your state and she said she was at a party at the local golf club. Her elderly mom lives two door down from me and I was giving her an update.

I said "You're a brave soul, getting together with a crowd." Her response was that there weren't any cases around her and people weren't taking it seriously yet.

I don't understand how people hearing what was going on in Washington and in New York and Italy could possibly not understand. But they don't.

SMH.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37923 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
if confirmation won't change how the patient will be treated

I get this, and the need to converse PPE etc. is very, very important.

But there's no protocol in place to make up for the lack of confirmed cases. There should be a runny tally of not just confirmed cases, but also presumed cases.

And it's not just whether confirmation will change how the patient is treated, but also whether confirmation will change how the patient and those connected to the patient behave.

I know we'll all on the same page here, it's just so frustrating. And this is why America is doomed to follow the same course as, if not worse than, Italy.

Sigh.

I've been thinking this for a few days.

No testing.

SMH.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
quarantined themselves after contact with a known case, and publicly announced it.

Jodi, your comments (about the folks in close contact with Mr. Jodi), and the fact that you yourself are asymptomatic, are all encouraging, to be sure! Certainly there's no reason for me personally to panic. (I'll save that for when we run out of TP!)

But part of what makes me so mad is what pique is saying here in her quote -- the person I'm talking about has not (to my knowledge) made any specific effort to notify contacts. If she had, I should have been notified in some other, more formal, way besides on FB. And the university's daily corona-update missives continue to report no cases in the university community and no potential cases being monitored.

Except, she is *in* the university community, and because she's a chair, she's interacting with a lot more people beyond her dept moreso that other faculty/staff.

Continued reports that say "no cases here" just create and reinforce a false sense of security in the community, and will likely influence parents' decisions to allow their children to return to their off-campus apartments, thinking that there are fewer cases here than in other parts of the state. All of this would be different if 1) there was more systematic testing of anyone who is symptomatic, and 2) more forthrightness about the presence of cases in the absence of testing. Bang Head

Sigh.

Institutions are playing by old, pre-CV19 rules about privacy.

For starters, those infected should reveal themselves if the places where they work will not do so because of now-outdated privacy concerns. Keeping information private to protect employees from hypothetical retribution or hostility elevates their hypothetical harm above the risk of death they pose to all of those who came in contact with them, and to all of those who come in contact with those contacts.

That's exactly what employees at the gym I use did yesterday. They revealed themselves. But in a pandemic, people should not automatically have the right to keep this information private. Every potential contact should be alerted.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
The message I've heard is "If you feel sick at all, assume it's COVID-19 and act accordingly." That means notifying everyone you could have been in contact with that you are sick. If it's not COVID-19, it's probably something else you could pass along and you should be taking the same precautions.

There's no way to fine tune this so "just" people who test positive are isolated.

I share your frustration. There should be national directives on this, not the repeated mantra of "we've put millions of tests out there".

Tests are *so* last week.

With all due respect, it's we *will* put them out there. They have nothing like the number of tests needed.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
They're saying both, that they've put tons of tests out there and that there are tons more in the pipeline.

But the point is that more tests aren't going to help. In some places, there aren't enough masks and face shields to go around for the medical staff treating people in hospitals. They can't afford to burn them on medical staff testing people for the virus.

quote:
Health officials in New York, California and other hard-hit parts of the country are restricting coronavirus testing to health care workers and the severely ill, saying the battle to contain the virus is lost and the country is moving into a new phase of the pandemic response.

As cases spike sharply in those places, they are bracing for an onslaught and directing scarce resources where they are needed most to save people’s lives. Instead of encouraging broad testing of the public, they’re focused on conserving masks, ventilators and intensive care beds — and on getting still-limited tests to health-care workers and the most vulnerable. The shift is further evidence that rising levels of infection and illness have begun to overwhelm the health care system.

A similar message was hammered Saturday by members of the White House coronavirus task force, who said it was urgent to conserve scarce supplies and offered guidelines about who should get tested. Top priority, they said, should go to those who are hospitalized, along with health-care workers, symptomatic residents of long-term care facilities and people over 65 — especially those with heart and lung disease, which place them at higher risk.

Health officials are now struggling with a complicated and shifting message. More people can get tested as drive-through sites open and more tests are finally available. Nevertheless, those with mild symptoms should stay home and isolate. And everyone should practice social distancing to preserve the health care system’s finite resources.

To convey those points clearly, many officials are speaking in increasingly blunt terms, saying that wide testing could jeopardize the lives of health care workers and the U.S. response by burning through precious supplies as a tidal wave of sick people descend on the system.

“In a universe where masks and gowns are starting to become scarce, every time we test someone who doesn’t need one, we’re taking that mask and gown away from someone in the intensive care unit,” said Demetre Daskalakis, deputy commissioner for the Division of Disease Control of the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

The tactical and messaging shifts come after weeks of efforts to expand access to testing after the federal government’s botched rollout, which hampered states’ ability to know whether the virus was already circulating and to take steps to get ahead of it.

Millions more tests are now available. And the Food & Drug Administration on Friday approved the first coronavirus test that can deliver results in 45 minutes. The turnaround time is far faster than for current tests, which are typically sent to centralized labs and can take days to return results.

The FDA granted “emergency use authorization” to Cepheid, a California company that makes a rapid molecular test, for use in “patient care settings,” but the company and the FDA said initially it will be used in hospitals, emergency rooms and urgent care centers.

The test will “help alleviate the pressure” on health-care facilities by helping doctors find out quickly whether a patient has the disease and select the appropriate treatment, David Persing, Cepheid’s chief medical and technology officer, said in an interview.

Despite those developments, however, many health officials remain concerned that testing sites will be inundated and that the president’s previous assertions that anyone who wanted a test “could have one” will lead many with mild cases to squander finite resources.

“I’m just scared there’s going to be mass confusion when people find out there is a testing site, are worried about their covid status, and they’re going to mob the testing site,” said Michael Fraser, executive director of the association that represents state health directors. “It’s confusing to people to hear that testing is being made available in a much more convenient way, and they think, ‘Hey, this is great, let’s get tested.’ ”

New York City’s Daskalakis said people with a manageable fever and cough who aren’t at high risk for severe illness should assume they have covid-19. Seeking a test exposes health care workers administering them and wastes resources, since nothing would change for those individuals based on their results, he said. There is no approved treatment for the disease.

A “negative” test could also provide false reassurance as covid-19 has become widespread, he said. When one of his patients with symptoms — who sought a test against his advice — got a negative result, Daskalakis told the person to presume he had the disease anyway and to isolate himself.

New York’s Mount Sinai Hospital, which treated the state’s first coronavirus case, is testing only a minority of the hundred-plus patients with respiratory symptoms who come to the emergency department each day, said Jolion McGreevy, the emergency department medical director.

“The default assumption is yes — anyone who comes in with any kind of fever, cough, respiratory symptom, flu-like illness, we’re making the assumption that they have this,” he said, based on the prevalence of community transmission in New York. “It’s very likely you have it. There’s no benefit for you to test.”

Other county and state health officials are sounding similar warnings, weeks after federal officials announced 1.1 million tests had been shipped out and another 4 million were coming.

Los Angeles County health officials advised doctors in a letter Thursday to give up on testing patients as a strategy to contain the outbreak, instructing them to test patients only if a positive result could change how they would be treated, the Los Angeles Times reported. The department “is shifting from a strategy of case containment to slowing disease transmission and averting excess morbidity and mortality,” according to the letter.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...sting-strategyshift/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37923 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
What is actually needed is regular, systematic, and repeated testing of *everyone*. Then those who test positive can be removed from circulation in their communities, whether they have symptoms or not, and those who test negative and who don't live with those who test positive can continue to do their jobs and patronize businesses. Meanwhile treatment and a vaccine are being developed.

Social distancing could reduce the strain on resources, but it won't reduce the ultimate number of cases. To prevent people from getting infected you need universal testing. We need to mobilize this like yesterday.

Where are our philanthropists when we need them, since our government is a total sh!tshow?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
For starters, those infected should reveal themselves if the places where they work will not do so because of now-outdated privacy concerns.

P*D, agreed! And in one post in the middle of a long thread on FB doesn't count as "revealing oneself!" >_<

WTG, thanks for posting that from WaPo.

So, yes, it's not the testing, but rather the message. In my state, at my university and in my city, they're failing at getting the right message out. quel surprise

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
Jodi, two people in MT higher ed (that I am aware of) quarantined themselves after contact with a known case, and publicly announced it. One of them tested positive.

Yeah, and neither one of them was anywhere near Steve at those meetings, and he wasn’t sick then. Many doctors were consulted and though the media made it sound like Steve was the vector the doctors said that is was highly unlikely he was the vector. Doctors said The one who tested positive likely got it from someplace else - he had been in contact with MANY other people, and had gone To many meetings, just like Steve.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where are our philanthropists when we need them, since our government is a total sh!tshow?

Bloomberg
This is just a start, of course.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
What is actually needed is regular, systematic, and repeated testing of *everyone*. Then those who test positive can be removed from circulation in their communities, whether they have symptoms or not, and those who test negative and who don't live with those who test positive can continue to do their jobs and patronize businesses. Meanwhile treatment and a vaccine are being developed.

Social distancing could reduce the strain on resources, but it won't reduce the ultimate number of cases. To prevent people from getting infected you need universal testing. We need to mobilize this like yesterday.

a) Tests should not be universally administered at this time. Their usefulness as a general tool has passed. Administering tests widely steals resources from the people who need them most. If you can't protect the health care providers, they will get sick and won't be available to care for people. The health care system will be worse off than it is now.

b) It's not a matter of money. It's a matter of manufacturing and logistics. Every country in the world is looking for masks and ventilators. There are stories of states trying to buy in volume and getting outbid by the federal government. It's a RL version of the Keystone Kops.

c) We need equipment at levels we have never imagined and there aren't enough being made. And you can't at the drop of a hat turn a plant that makes cars into one that makes ventilators.

d) We need to get them from point A to point B.

Bottom line is, because of lack of a national plan of action from the federal government, it's become everyone for himself. Every state and local government is having to figure this out on its own.

Testing might have helped two or three weeks ago, but it won't now. The hospitals in some areas have been flooded with cases, and they need those masks and ventilators.

People just need to sit their butts down in their houses and ride this out. Period.

Bazootiehead-in-training

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
It's a war. Tests exist. Therefore they can not only make more of them, they can make enough of them, and distribute them, and create the infrastructure to administer them. I'm talking about getting aggressive about what must happen, not about how how to navigate our current limitations.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We've moved on to a new enemy, new priorities and new circumstances.

You are putting testing ahead of keeping the people working in hospitals healthy and safe so they can treat their patients. I strongly disagree with your priorities. But you're entitled to your opinion.

You're fighting an old war and the battlefield has moved.

Bazootiehead-in-training