well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Remind Steve to…
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remind Steve to…
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
We've had January-style winter here since the beginning of the month. Deep snow, deep drifts, and deep subzero temps. Wind chills in the double digits below zero. Today is the warmest day in nearly a month.

The only thing we didn't get done in time was washing the outside of the windows. But we did get the screens stored.

I even got all my root veggies dug up and stored--will be roasting them for thanksgiving.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget about minding your skin during the winter. You didn’t have to in sunny southern California during the winter months but here in the Midwest you do. When a furnace heats the air, it also dries out the air. The air's dryness will then dry out your skin. Especially your fingers. Skin cuts develop.

A furnace humidifier helps but it may not be enough. You’ll probably have to supplement air humidification by using a skin moisturizer. A problem with moisturizers that have an applicator pump is that the pump’s tube gets clogged up and stops pumping. The squeeze tube is better. There’s many to choose from. I personally like the Aveeno brand moisturizer. A good time to apply it is before you go to sleep.

Posts: 1410 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
The very best lotion to prevent fingers splitting in winter is called Amlactin 13 %. Works better than anything else. Sold in pharmacies. I keep a bottle next to the kitchen sink and a small one in my purse.

Once the heat comes on, we have room humidifiers running. Without them I get respiratory infections almost immediately.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of Aveeno, too.

Mr wtg has very dry skin and is always in search of a good product. pique, I see that there are a bunch of different strengths of the Amlactin. Is there something in particular you like about the 13% version?

edit: I read up a little on lactic acid skin treatments and see that they can make you sensitive to sunburn. Also that it's a good idea to start with a lower strength to see how sensitive your skin is to lactic acid.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there something in particular you like about the 13% version?

It's maximum strength of the active ingredient--lactic acid.

I have super dry skin that gets painful finger splits at the first whiff of north wind. Aveeno does not work for me. Amlactin 13% is the only thing that does. I like Aveeno for a general body lotion, though.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
edit: I read up a little on lactic acid skin treatments and see that they can make you sensitive to sunburn. Also that it's a good idea to start with a lower strength to see how sensitive your skin is to lactic acid.

this is the first i am hearing of that. i do have very sensitive skin. never had an issue with the 13% *for my hands*. It does burn my face, however, so I would not use it there. I can see how it could make you sensitive to sunburn. But I don't know that a lower percentage would be as effective with finger splits.

I would try a small bottle of the 13%, use it *only on your hands* and see what you think.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Now seeing that the latest iterations of Amlactin are 12% and 15% so it has changed since I bought my bottle--which has lasted for years.

Get the 12%.