well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Remind Steve to…
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remind Steve to…
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
Drain the hoses and put them in the garage.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30027 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I did that. ThumbsUp

Also changed the oil in everything, covered the flower pots, the grill, and the patio furniture, changed the furnace filter, got a new car battery and touched up the rusty stuff on the underside of the truck. Buffed out the headlights on Sharon’s car, too.

Bring it! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34789 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Did you put winter kits in both cars?

Hat
Gloves
Boots
Blanket
Water
Granola bars or whatever
Collapsible snow shovel

Anything else you might need if you suddenly get caught in a storm or get stuck for several hours.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30027 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
We still need to drain the water line to the front outdoor faucet.

Patio furniture has been brought in.

This may be my last chance to harvest my parsley; we’re getting near freezing.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13763 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Did you put winter kits in both cars?

Hat
Gloves
Boots
Blanket
Water
Granola bars or whatever
Collapsible snow shovel

Anything else you might need if you suddenly get caught in a storm or get stuck for several hours.

My truck has everything on that list except food. Given my current size I’m quite sure I could outlast the most severe delay.

When I was doing AF I could go three days without eating and not lose a single pound. VeryAngry

Posts: 34789 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Had a -10f night early this week.
Waiting for a warmer day to get the garage ready for Don to park inside.
The repair crew left a kayak and a sup board across the garage and Don's paper supply box must be arranged and sorted.
5F now. Maybe later today. It should get up to a toasty 38F.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25655 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I don't know about anyone else, but lip balm is a winter essential for me. For some reason my upper lip chaps like crazy during cold weather. I have one in my purse, in the car, on the nightstand.

Fortunately, our dentist gives them away.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Why didn't you remind me? Bang Head

Posts: 13626 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Add to the list:

Plastic/ fiberglass poles to mark the driveway/sidewalk so I don’t miss the driveway approach and put big ruts in both the “tree lawn” and the grass next to the drive.

Just like I did last year. In the same spots. The spots I reseeded and just started filling in… Mad

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Get a smaller shovel. We are getting to the age where smaller shovel loads and slower progress is advisable. Plus, it's easier in tight spots, steps, etc.

Also, get an ice chipper. Best thing I ever got that I never knew I needed.

Posts: 45718 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Get a smaller shovel...

I will just deal with what I have. Big Grin

Posts: 13626 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get a smaller shovel. We are getting to the age where smaller shovel loads and slower progress is advisable. Plus, it's easier in tight spots, steps, etc.

Also, get an ice chipper. Best thing I ever got that I never knew I needed.

Oddly enough, I moved an ice chipper with me from CA. We used it to take up tile floors and scrape up drywall mud. It wasn’t until I moved here that I learned what it was called.

The shovel I got has two handles and it’s fairly easy to handle. That said, a smaller shovel sounds like a good idea.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I put the snow brush in the car a week or so ago.

Anybody with a full size spare tire - when's the last time you checked the pressure in that puppy?

So markj, which one of the reminders did you miss out doing?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I would recommend taking in the flowerpots if you can (to your garage or shed) as well as any concrete lawn ornaments. Water gets in the concrete/clay, freezes, and cracks them. I was quite sad to lose a few cute conccrete bunnies my first year.

Also, do see if your hose bibs have inside shutoffs. If so, shut them off inside, then open up the taps and leave them open all winter. That makes sure the pipes are fully empty.

If the forecast calls for freezing rain and you have to park your car outside, I highly recommend covering the windshield with something that you can wrap across the windshield and kind of clamp in the doors to hold it in place. The as-seen-on-tv type folks sell special tarp-like gizmos for this but when I was young and poor, I just used an old ratty beach towel. You will be very happy when you come out and yoink the frozen solid towel off your window and have a nice clear windshield with no chipping and scraping required. Bonus points if you manage to cover your wipers so they aren't frozen solid as well.

Posts: 4388 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
quote:
Get a smaller shovel...

I will just deal with what I have. Big Grin

omg! we have that tractor! now we need to get those accessories!!! how well does it do moving snow? worth it? or are we better off with an ATV or a dedicated snowthrower?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21283 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post