well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Soundboard    Piano picture of the day
Page 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... 299
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano picture of the day
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Pssst... ron... the real problem is that that's a harpsichord.

That is actually a common tool for tuning a harpsichord. It's called a calico mute and can both mute off an octave or two at a time AND pluck up to four strings at a time with the plectra built into the end of each appendage.

They are also very helpful, as you can see in the lower left picture, the calico mute has been enlisted in the search for the obviously missing keys.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Here's a Jesse French that I just saw on craigslist:

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Here's a Jesse French that I just saw on craigslist:

Isn't THAT cute! Very 30's art-deco looking.

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zorba:
...Isn't THAT cute! Very 30's art-deco looking.

Looks like an old 30s/40s console radio. Probably would sound better if it were one.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChickGrand:
Looks like an old 30s/40s console radio. Probably would sound better if it were one.

It sure does! I have a 1937 RCA model 811K console radio (in working order) that looks very similar to this instrument.

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
William Stodart, c. 1830, London. The metal frame in this piano, built of iron and brass tubular braces, was patented in 1820 by Messrs. Thom and Allen of the Stodart firm.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
That one has those left and right-facing music desks, doesn't it?

I always thought those were a novel idea. I wonder why they're not done anymore?

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
from a Clementi piano

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

posted Hide Post
Hi pianojuggler - I like the pictures, reminds me of my cat when she was a kitten. Also reminds me of my fortepiano - that's a Walter reproduction isn't it?? Who built it though?
It's range goes to g''' ...... right? Has a moderator. Yours? How long have you had it, and how do you like it?

Ours are matching Steins.
Ciao
Ron

Posts: 2 | Location: White Rock BC Canada | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of kathyk
posted Hide Post
Hi FPG. I'm sure PJ will eventually come along and chime in or correct me, but I don't believe that is his harpsicord (or whatever it is). The pic was posted a page back by Rontuner. That does look like one of PJ's cats as a youngster, though. Smiler

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF.

Posts: 11691 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Hey FPG

Welcome! I posted that harpsichord picture with the cats. The way this works, is if you find a picture on the web or from your own travels, just pop it in here for others to see.

Many of the old links may be dead by now, but there is quite a variety of piano/keyboard related pictures here.

Kindof like the music rack on this Streicher

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
They is right. 'Snot my harpsichord. Mine is a "Wolfgang's Original Sin" which I got for $400 earlier this year. I am still in process of getting it up and running... It has the old evil "triangle mortise" plastic jack/tongue which are no longer available anywhere in the galaxy.

I also have a calico mute, although mine is much larger than the one in the picture, so is no longer able to hunt for missing keys.

Here is a picture of a similar feline mute showing how their capabilities decline as their size increases...

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
This Erard (1877)has a couple of extra keys!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post

Unsigned Piano, c. 1795, in South German/Viennese style. Typical of its time and place; state-of-the-art at the end of Mozart's lifetime. Case, with all-over geometric marquetry, evidently re-used from a mid-18th century harpsichord. Reverse-color keyboard. Knee levers control dampers, mute stop.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
beautiful pianoforte, ron! i want one just like that to play mozart on.

some day soon, when i'm done with my deadline, i'm going to post the pianos i met at the deutsche museum in munich, one of them a mozart era piano similar to this one. it will just take a while to find them and get them up on photobucket.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post