well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Soundboard    Piano picture of the day
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 299
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano picture of the day
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
This isn't an unusual piano. It's just plain cool.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semi-Regular
posted Hide Post
So, where's middle C?

Jens

Posts: 139 | Location: Leipzig, Germany | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
The path for "twinkle toes", I suppose?

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
And while we're on an outdoors theme:

By the way, google has been a big help, though from years of reading the piano technician's list at ptg.org, I've got a bunch more!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jens Schlosser:
In german it is called a "Giraffenflügel" (giraffe grand), is that the term which you know for this PSO as well? I really wonder if the small pot on the floor left of the piano is filled with water to keep the humidity constant... Big Grin

Jens

I was just wondering, since you seem to be familiar with these types of pianos, how are the dampers set up? Is it similar to the overdamper, or "birdcage" pianos?

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Ron, if you've got more pics, let's see 'em!

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semi-Regular
posted Hide Post
Ron, no, I'm not familiar with this type of piano. I only know them from books and museums, probably like you. Unfortunately in museums they usually will not allow me to 1.) remove any case parts, 2.) take pictures of the inards, 3.) take samples of the tuning pin tightness and 4.) record some small mp3 samples. They wouldn't even 5.) let me measure inharmonicity of the scale (which would BTW not even require any fff sequences (as the Boogie Woogie mp3 recording (no.4) would require) and 6.) they all seem to know me so they will carefully watch that no.'s 1-5 will not be disregarded.

Other then that 7.) due to financial and space limitations I cannot buy any more PSO and 8.) I vote for more pictures as well.

9.) Yes, I think it can only be a birdcage action, this is how the piano evolution was.

Jens

Posts: 139 | Location: Leipzig, Germany | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Ok, ok, I'll keep 'em coming. Big Grin

Well, there may not be much unusual about the inside, but the outside! (It's hard to see in the picture, but those are all mirror squares!)

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Gadfly
Picture of Ermo
posted Hide Post
rontuner - enjoying the thread. Might I suggest Unusual Piano of the Day?

Posts: 3755 | Location: Undisclosed Location | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I want to set myself up for that job!

Anyone else feel free to go hunting...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Gadfly
Picture of Ermo
posted Hide Post
That was just my way of saying "Keep 'em coming".

Posts: 3755 | Location: Undisclosed Location | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Oh! In that case, here's a bonus for today!

Group Hug

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Here's my submission, Ermo:

Gadfly
Picture of Ermo
posted Hide Post
Oh sure, you get me all worked up and then I can't see the picture. Tease.

Semi-Regular
posted Hide Post
Ron, is that a Rippen aluminum grand? Ever seen one in real life?

Jens