well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Soundboard    The WTF Recital Registry
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The WTF Recital Registry
 Login/Join

Forum Frequenter
Picture of Linda in PA
posted Hide Post
Hi Rami!

How were your performances in Alexandria and Utica?

On which of Cathy's pianos did you play? Will you be returning there for another recital?

Hope you and the family are well.

. . . Linda

Posts: 384 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 23 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rami Bar-Niv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linda in PA:
Hi Rami!

How were your performances in Alexandria and Utica?

On which of Cathy's pianos did you play? Will you be returning there for another recital?

Hope you and the family are well.

. . . Linda

Dear Linda,
Concerts were great. I played on a 9 foot Bosie at Cathy's.
I'll be returning to the DC area probably next May, as well as to Utica.
Right now I am in the midst of my piano camp, teaching all day long and giving evening classes and concerts.
Family and me are well, thank you.
Will be touring New Zealand in Sept.
Regards,
Rami

Posts: 52 | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chatty Kathy
Beatification Candidate
Picture of teachum
posted Hide Post
Playing this afternoon - Mendelssohn's Venetian Boat Song. No. 2 - Op. 30.6

Why do I do this to mysel?????

--------------------------------
You'll be 10 years older 10 years from now no matter what...so go for it! Registered *Flaming Liberal* Piano - Estonia 190 in Satin Mahogany

Posts: 8032 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rami Bar-Niv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by teachum:
Playing this afternoon - Mendelssohn's Venetian Boat Song. No. 2 - Op. 30.6

Why do I do this to mysel?????

Because you love playing the piano...?
Where are you performing it?
"Break a leg".
Regards,
Rami

Chatty Kathy
Beatification Candidate
Picture of teachum
posted Hide Post
Sigh - No matter how well prepared I am, I get so horribly nervous and I goof up. I finished well, but I didn't play the piece anything like I can at home on my own lovely Estonia. It's very frustrating. I think I need to see if I do better just playing for friends (other than Mr. Teachum) at home. If I can do that, I may bag the public recitals, 'cause who cares about their opinion anyway.

Any suggestions, Rami? I'm tried everything Elena has offered, but nothing seems to help. Plus the piano stunk. BUt I knew it would.

You'll be 10 years older 10 years from now no matter what...so go for it! Registered *Flaming Liberal* Piano - Estonia 190 in Satin Mahogany

Posts: 8032 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rami Bar-Niv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sigh - No matter how well prepared I am, I get so horribly nervous and I goof up. I finished well, but I didn't play the piece anything like I can at home on my own lovely Estonia. It's very frustrating. I think I need to see if I do better just playing for friends (other than Mr. Teachum) at home. If I can do that, I may bag the public recitals, 'cause who cares about their opinion anyway.

Any suggestions, Rami? I'm tried everything Elena has offered, but nothing seems to help. Plus the piano stunk. BUt I knew it would.

I don't know, or don't remember what Elena offered. There's a whole long list of things one should do and it starts with your first piano lesson....
Meaning how well are you prepared, how well do you know the piece, how comfortable your hands are on the keyboard, how well do you know your theory/harmony, etc. how do you memorize pieces, or do you play from the music, in which case you have to not loose your place in the score. Do you practice on a grand piano, or an upright?
Then comes the whole set of run-throughs: for your friends, family, neighbors, community center, old age homes, schools, church, etc.
And recording yourself and listening to it.
Then comes Yoga, Feldenkrize, Alexander, various books like "the inner game of tennis/music...", etc.
Then there's warm up before performing.
What are the symptoms of you anxiety?
If everything fails, there's hypnosis and of course beta blockers (ask your doctor), which are so popular with musicians and have great success.
Best wishes and Happy Holidays,
Rami

Chatty Kathy
Beatification Candidate
Picture of teachum
posted Hide Post
Wow - Where do I start?

My piece was memorized, but I should have had the music *up* for security I guess. I've always been a good memorizer, but I do not just rely on muscle memory, it's many levels, visual memory of score, what I call geographical memory of what the chords, etc look like and of course just momentum/muscle memory.

I think it's an inner thing. I have great fear of failure and very high expectations of myself. My hands shake, badly sometimes, and I get all flustered. I hate it. I used to do a lot of vocal performing and even some stage experience and I was never bothered by stage-fright. Why the piano??????

I do know people who use beta-blockers, but I don't *perform* often enough to warrant it, I don't think. What do you think of my idea of inviting people into my home to see if I react as badly.

As for practice - I always play my Estonia 190. It is wonderful! The piano I was performing on was crummy, but that isn't what makes me goof up and shake!

Picture of Rami Bar-Niv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow - Where do I start?

My piece was memorized, but I should have had the music *up* for security I guess. I've always been a good memorizer, but I do not just rely on muscle memory, it's many levels, visual memory of score, what I call geographical memory of what the chords, etc look like and of course just momentum/muscle memory.

I think it's an inner thing. I have great fear of failure and very high expectations of myself. My hands shake, badly sometimes, and I get all flustered. I hate it. I used to do a lot of vocal performing and even some stage experience and I was never bothered by stage-fright. Why the piano??????

I do know people who use beta-blockers, but I don't *perform* often enough to warrant it, I don't think. What do you think of my idea of inviting people into my home to see if I react as badly.

As for practice - I always play my Estonia 190. It is wonderful! The piano I was performing on was crummy, but that isn't what makes me goof up and shake!

You seem to have started OK.
Good idea about playing for people at home.
If your "hands shake, badly sometimes", you definitely need to speak to a doctor about BB.
It doesn't matter how often you perform, it will enable you to do your best and to show and prove that you are actually prepared. You don't take them all the time, only when you need before performing.
Good luck and please continue to report.
Happy Holidays to all,
Rami