well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    Any bread makers out there? (question)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any bread makers out there? (question)
 Login/Join

Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Maybe we need to keep up with the Jones-Smythes:

Brits Leading the Way

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
See, this is one reason I never mix dough by machine. Am I a tad masochistic, or is my latent perfectionism rearing its ugly head? Sure, it could be a combination of the two, but I learned, through trial and error, how to get the consistency of raised breads just the way I like them. (It's called being an utterly broke college student too poor to buy even store-bought bread.) I don't know what a well-made dough looks like in the mixer bowl, but I sure know what it feels like in my hands.

Sorry, I'm just opining and have nothing useful to add....
Leaving

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
I'm in your camp on the feel thing. I prefer to do it by hand.

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChickGrand:
I was up at 2 and in the kitchen by 3 and had the first roll fresh out of the oven right at sunrise. Razzer

Can I come visit?

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
You need to hurry. Two-dozen lasts me about 6 days. WhoMe

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of katie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
.. Everybody was whining today because we didn't eat breakfast until 9:30...

Big Grin

Heh. I didn't do breaky or lunch for them. They're big boys. If they get to stay home with me on a snow day, if they think they can mess up the house I cleaned Sunday, if they think it's cool to leave their dirty clothes all over, if they can play MY CHeMiCaL RoMaNcE & that God-AwFuL carpy BlUeGrAsS all bloody day long at maxoid volume .... THEN they're SO on their own scrounging for fOoD !!

Okay then. I'm calm. You're red mixer rocks Jodi. Had to mention that. Big Grin

Posts: 1491 | Location: here, there, anywhere .. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt G.:
See, this is one reason I never mix dough by machine. Am I a tad masochistic, or is my latent perfectionism rearing its ugly head? Sure, it could be a combination of the two, but I learned, through trial and error, how to get the consistency of raised breads just the way I like them. (It's called being an utterly broke college student too poor to buy even store-bought bread.) I don't know what a well-made dough looks like in the mixer bowl, but I sure know what it feels like in my hands.

Sorry, I'm just opining and have nothing useful to add....
Leaving

We have the monster grey mixer too, but we do bread by hand. I like kneading it by hand, although tfd makes most of the bread around here. Real bread, I mean, not Doug dough. Wink

For breakfast bread you gotta do it the previous day and do the last rise overnight, then pop -em in the oven. Unless you want do do a Chickgrand-style all-nighter.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
You can do the third rise in the pan, in the refrigerator overnight. It takes longer, but 8 hours or so should do it unless you refrigerator is so cold it's like one degree short of freezing.

YMMV.

Posts: 35380 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was up at 2 and in the kitchen by 3 and had the first roll fresh out of the oven right at sunrise. Razzer

How long did it take you to build the fire in the wood stove? Wink

Big Al

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
quote:

How long did it take you to build the fire in the wood stove? Wink

Big Al

*snort*

I was waiting for a description of how he pulled on the ol' lindsey-woolsey shirt, personally. Big Grin

Posts: 35380 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Chickgrand on the back forty:

Razzer Big Grin

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semi-Regular
Picture of Mary Poppins
posted Hide Post
My sister makes a lot of bread; I know that the type of flour you use can make a difference; some are more gluteny than others, etc. King Arthur Flour has a website, and they sell lots of types of flour, for different stuff. Might be worth looking into. I don't know much about making bread, but my family sits around and drools while we're waiting for my sister's bread to come out of the oven.

Posts: 125 | Location: New England | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
Shoot. This thread makes me wish I were back in Canada where we had a bread/pizza oven built into our masonry heater. We have yet to try it out for lack of a stone or proper bread baking dish. I love the no knead recipe. Will have to try it here.

Rick, your cinnamon roll recipe looks mouthwatering! How long does it take you from start to end?

Posts: 7252 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Well, I have a sticky-gooey yeast experiment bowl of the no knead bread doing it's thing on the counter. Tomorrow, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Speaking of flour wtfh IS cake flour, anyway. They don't sell it at any grocery stores around here. I think it's supposed to have less protein (or gluten????) so the cake is lighter and fluffier, unlike bread.

Somebody told me you can just substitute all purpose flour less 2 tablespoons.

Anybody know?

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post