well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    the wtf fifth anniversary reunion--philadelphia, cunningham's, date?, 2010--be there! planning now!
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the wtf fifth anniversary reunion--philadelphia, cunningham's, date?, 2010--be there! planning now!
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted
roberta suggested i start a new thread for this, so here goes:

you know what would be truly wonderful is if we somehow managed to have a very big gathering that included every single one of us.

we might need to plan TWO years in advance to make it happen, but it would be such an incredible event, no?

just think: west coast, east coast, midwest, rockies, and the south, and the southwest--all of us--all together at one big bash. it would be truly awesome.

where could we do this? it would have to also be at a time of year when weather-related travel problems are less likely to occur.

and where?

has anyone ever done a tabulation to see where most of us live?

in spring of '10 it will be the wtf five-year anniversary. maybe we could celebrate it all in one place together, live, in person?

i'm getting to work on my repertoire RIGHT NOW. Big Grin

Posts: 21344 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quirt wrote:

quote:
Definitely an interesting idea.

If I could offer some thoughts:

It should be relatively near a major airport.

It should be where there are several forumites nearby, so that people could have a place to stay. We could also make it a rolling party if we did that ... one person's house one day, another's the next.

It should be over a three-day weekend, to simplify travel plans.

It should not be over a holiday when people are normally on vacation ... so, no July 4th, no Labor Day, no President's Day. Given weather constraints, Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, and Columbus Day seem the most likely choices.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
ot wrote:

quote:
I second Quirt's thoughts.

That being said, it would seem to me the prospective cities would be NYC, Boston, Chicago, and LA.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
what if we have it near a major airport, but hold it at a retreat center with a nice piano? then it could be more like a family reunion or pajama party. Wink

also, are people with children more likely to be able to make it if we have it when school is out? or less likely?

if it is on a holiday weekend, will it be tougher for people to get affordable plane fares?

i know, for example, that within an easy drive of nyc there are some nice retreat centers that with enough advance notice we could book. i'm thinking in particular of a buddhist center i once stayed in.

we could carpool/take the train together.

of the major cities quirt listed, which one has the most wtf members living there?

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
oh, and the date would be spring/summer/fall of 2010.

enough advanced notice for you?

people please speak up if you already know what you can/can't do.

elena, for example, which of those seasons is the most likely for you (assuming we aren't rendezvouing in spain or newfoundland) ?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I'm in!

Preferred location would be some city that is an airline hub. Also need someone with a big enough place and a decent piano to host.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I would think spring is better for travel.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Preferred location would be some city that is an airline hub.

same here. i can't get anywhere without taking two planes from here, and i prefer to not take three. that is just too much.

Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
of the major cities quirt listed, which one has the most wtf members living there?

I'd wager it's NYC, hands down.

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I would think spring is better for travel.

It would have to be after mid-May, for us. Opera season until then.

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I'm always happy to host a big party if we do it in NYC - or be one of several hosts on rotating days.

But I'm all for going somewhere else too.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Memorial Day is after mid-May, and still in the spring.

Jon, if it's an everyone-on-the-forum thing, can your place handle that?

Me, I'd need a new piano.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
i'm thinking in particular of a buddhist center i once stayed in.

New Paltz, or thereabouts?

jf

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I know! Let's have it at Cindy's house. She's the source of all this, after all.

Big Al

Posts: 7404 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
I know! Let's have it at Cindy's house. She's the source of all this, after all.

Big Al

Excellent! And then the party could roll to the Manor markb the next day.

I'm sure Mrs. markb won't mind 100 or so people inviting themselves over.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post