well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    The Thanksgiving Recipes File
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Thanksgiving Recipes File
 Login/Join

Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I'm going to try a few of these.

I was heartened to see that many contained alcohol. I find that "cooking" with spirits helps make the day simply fly by! Smiler

Yeah, but you're supposed to add the spirits to the recipe, not drink it!

Razzer

Unless, of course, you're cooking in the tradition of Julia.

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Here's a recipe from this week's Washington Post. I tested it last night, and it totally rocked. I plan to make this dish year-round.

I omitted the lemon juice. I roasted my own garlic, using one full head for about 1.5 pounds of beans, which is far more than recommended.

Green Beans With Roasted Garlic

6 servings

The green beans can be prepped and steamed a day ahead, then tightly covered and refrigerated, so this side dish will take just 5 minutes on the Thanksgiving day stovetop. If you opt to add the lemon juice, the beans are likely to discolor if they stand around for a while. Adapted from a recipe mentioned on the Chow magazine Web site.

1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise on a slight diagonal, or use haricots verts

1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 to 2 teaspoons roasted garlic puree*

1 teaspoon toasted ground cumin*

Salt

Freshly ground black pepper

Juice of 1/2 lemon (optional)

Working in batches, steam the green beans in a steamer basket set over a large pot of barely boiling water for 5 minutes or until they are just crisp-tender. (At this point, the beans can be cooled, covered and refrigerated for up to 1 day.) Set aside.

In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the garlic puree and cumin, stirring to combine. Add the green beans and toss to coat evenly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 2 minutes, until the beans are fragrant. Transfer to a warmed serving bowl and sprinkle with the lemon juice, if desired. Serve immediately.

*NOTES: Roasted garlic/puree is available in some grocers' produce sections. To roast garlic, slice the top off a head of garlic so that the tops of the cloves inside are exposed. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Bake in a preheated 425-degree oven for about 45 minutes or until the garlic has softened and browned. Set aside until cool enough to handle, then squeeze the softened garlic cloves out of their skins. Cut off and discard the stem ends.

Toasting ground cumin releases the spice's natural aroma and oils. Place the ground cumin in a dry skillet over medium heat and cook for 2 minutes, until fragrant.

Per serving: 51 calories, 1 g protein, 6 g carbohydrates, 3 g fat, 8 mg cholesterol, 2 g saturated fat, 52 mg sodium, 3 g dietary fiber

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
This recipe saved my butt one Tday when a family who swore they were not coming, asked if it was ok if they changed their minds....1.5 hours before dinner. The stores were closed, turkey about done. I raided the fridge and hit the books to make a side dish to stretch things a bit. It's from Marian Morash's Victory Garden Cookbook.

Carrots and Cranberries

1 apple, grated
1 cup cranberries, washed
4 cups grated carrots
4 Tbls light brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup apple cider
2 Tb butter

Combine apple, cranberries, carrots, sugar, salt , and cider. Place in a buttered casserole an dot with butter. Cover, bake in 350 oven for 40 minute, stirring once.

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Cindy, those green beans sound fab. I am betting that I could even cheat and use the frozen ones from Trader Joes. When thawed they are just like fresh steamed....I have used them with vinaigrette, toasted almonds and blue cheese all tossed together. No one would ever know they had been frozen.

All the recipes here do and I think I will have to print out the whole thread....

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
bump

[cause i am making it and want to find it easily. i can't keep these long and complex directions in my head.]

jf

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sharon has banished me from the kitchen.

It's OK - someone has to hold the puppy:

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eileen:
Can't claim this recipe as my own....came fro Martha Stewart. Did it last year and it was the best Turkey we have ever had.

Eileen

Brined and Roasted Turkey
Serves 10 to 12
2 gallons cold water
2 cups bourbon
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons coarse salt
1 cup sugar
1 twelve- to fifteen-pound turkey, giblets removed and rinsed
1 tablespoon freshly ground white pepper
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
Cornbread, Apple, and Sausage Stuffing (recipe below)
4 cups Homemade Chicken Stock, or low-sodium canned
2 medium onions, roughly chopped
2 carrots, roughly chopped
2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley stems (about 1 bunch)
Chris’s Thanksgiving Gravy, for serving (recipe below), optional
1. In a pot large enough to accommodate the turkey, combine 2 gallons water, the bourbon, 2 cups salt, and the sugar. Stir to dissolve salt and sugar. Add turkey, and refrigerate for 18 to 36 hours.
2. Remove turkey from the brine, and dry well with paper towels. Let stand, covered, at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 325°. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons salt and the white and black pepper. Rub the inside and outside of the turkey with the salt-and-pepper mixture. Fill the large cavity and neck cavity with as much stuffing as they hold comfortably. Do not pack tightly, or the stuffing will not cook through. (If all the stuffing does not fit, simply transfer the extra to a buttered baking dish, and bake covered, for 30 minutes and uncovered for 15 minutes more in a 375° oven.) Tie the legs together loosely with kitchen twine. Fold the neck flap under, and secure with toothpicks. Place the turkey, breast side up, on a roasting rack in a heavy metal roasting pan. Fold the wing tips under the turkey.
4. Soak a clean kitchen towel in the chicken stock. Lift the towel out of the stock, and squeeze it slightly, leaving it very damp. Spread it evenly over the turkey. Place the turkey in the oven so breast is facing the front of the oven. Roast for 3 hours, basting every 30 minutes.
5. Carefully remove the towel. Turn roasting pan so the breast is facing the back of the oven. Baste turkey with pan juices. The skin gets fragile as it browns, so baste carefully. Add onions, carrots, celery, and parsley stems to the roasting pan around the turkey. Roast 1 hour more, basting after 30 minutes.
6. Insert an instant-read thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh. Do not poke into a bone. The temperature should reach 165° and the turkey should be golden brown. The breast does not need to be checked for temperature. If the legs are not fully cooked, baste the turkey, return to the oven, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
7. When fully cooked, remove the turkey from the oven, and let it rest, covered, for at least 20 minutes. Transfer to a carving board. Make the gravy, and serve with turkey.
Cornbread, Apple, and Sausage Stuffing
Makes enough stuffing for a 12- to 15-pound turkey
Cornbread (recipe below), cut into 1-inch cubes
1 pound sweet Italian sausage
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
4 medium red onions, finely chopped
8 celery stalks, finely chopped
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 cup dried cranberries
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1/2 cup chopped fresh sage
1. Preheat the oven to 300°. Place cornbread cubes on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake until dry, about 20 minutes; set aside.
2. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, cook sausage until it’s no longer pink. Transfer to a small bowl; set aside.
3. Melt butter in the same sauté pan. Add onion and celery, and cook over medium heat until translucent, 10 to 15 minutes. Add apples and cranberries, stir to combine, and cook 5 minutes. Add half-and-half, and cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Add sage, and remove from heat. Transfer to a large bowl. Add cornbread and sausage; stir to combine. Let cool completely before stuffing the turkey, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Cornbread
Makes one 8-inch pan
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, for baking pan
1 1/2 cups coarse yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon molasses
1 large egg
1. Preheat the oven to 375°. Butter an 8-by-8-inch baking pan. In a medium bowl, sift together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine milk, molasses, and egg. Add to the dry ingredients, and mix well. Pour batter into prepared baking pan, and bake until golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack. When cool, gently run a knife around pan; unmold.
Chris’s Thanksgiving Gravy
Serves 10 to 12
5 cups Homemade Chicken Stock, or low-sodium canned
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1. When turkey is fully cooked and has been removed from the roasting pan, place the pan over medium heat. Add chicken stock. Bring liquid to a boil, scraping the crisp bits from the bottom and sides with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring, for 10 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve into a glass measuring cup. Let stand until fat rises to the surface, about 10 minutes, then skim it off and reserve. Transfer defatted stock mixture to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.
2. In a second saucepan over medium heat, add melted butter and enough reserved fat to make 1/3 cup. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove half of this mixture from the saucepan, and set aside. Whisk in the simmering stock mixture. If a thicker gravy is desired, add more of the reserved flour mixture, a little bit at a time, until thickened. Continue to cook over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper.

We're trying the turkey recipe, Eileen.

FWIW, I have now encountered many people who say that brining the turkey makes it more moist. My girlfriend's nephew is in cooking school, and he had a scientific explanation ... it breaks down the muscle something or other, enabling the meat to retain moisture, or something like that. All I care about is that he said it will be the moistest turkey you've ever cooked.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Cindy,

Thanks so much for posting the cranberry recipe... it was a huge hit! I've never seen the cranberry dish emptied at our dinners before...

Hope everyone had a nice time together.

(off to find a bigger pair of pants and settle down to watch some TV with the girls.)

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
We brined and it was great. Very great.

jf

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
We did the Martha Stewart thing and it was wonderful, even though we wound up overcooking the bird a bit. Still more moist than any turkey I've ever cooked.

Thanks, Eileen.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Cindy,

Thanks so much for posting the cranberry recipe... it was a huge hit! I've never seen the cranberry dish emptied at our dinners before...

Hope everyone had a nice time together.

(off to find a bigger pair of pants and settle down to watch some TV with the girls.)

You're welcome!

I made one recipe of plain and one of bourbon. The bourbon was gone in a flash. The other is still in the refrigerator.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Groupie
Picture of Eldon
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna try your cranberry/bourbon recipe for Christmas. Sounds like something even I can make. Blink

Posts: 867 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Had a free range turkey this year. From Plainville Farms, NY. Best turkey I can remember. Juicy and tasty. Will never want to go back to regular store bought after this. Sister says she got it at local store in NH.

www.plainvillefarms.com

Family stuffing recipe is still my favorite. Has ground pork in it, mushroom soup, as well as the usual stuff!

LL

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eldon:
I'm gonna try your cranberry/bourbon recipe for Christmas.

Doh! Why didn't I think of that! Our bourbon sauce is long gone and I was looking for an excuse to make it again! Big Grin

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Jodi's stuffing with hot italian sausage, sourdough bread, spinach, parmesan cheese was a stone-cold winner. That's it. I will make it every year for life.