well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    The WTF Losers
Page 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The WTF Losers
 Login/Join

Gadfly
Picture of susan dorris
posted Hide Post
Thanks, WTG! I'm happy to be done with it! Next step is back to the gym, to get my muscles back. I'll have to take it easy at first, but I do love feeling strong and fit. It's been too long....

I went grocery shopping today, bought only fruit and fresh veggies, though forgot I was out of coffee.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Saint Louis, MO | Registered: 21 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
I'm so glad to hear you are doing so much better, susan. I remember getting advice to eat lots of protein before my second baby was born. I wonder if there is something to that.

You are doing amazingly. Health trumps weight every time. Wishing you speedy healing, comfort, and strength.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of susan dorris
posted Hide Post
I have started physical therapy, and the place the surgeon sent me to is a real gym where everyone gets a personal trainer! I had such sore muscles after the first session that I could scarcely move. Today was better, and I must admit that I am already stronger and more flexible. I am surprised also that the sessions are two hours long. I am beginning to wish for more than the six weeks (three times a week) prescribed! I knew I needed to get back in shape, but expected it would have to be more gradual. Guess not! That's what comes with having a Sports Medicine surgeon. All the "patients" are recovering from surgery or injuries, but working really hard. By the time I finish with the therapy I should be more fit than I have been in some time! It feels good already, I definitely needed both the exercise and the resultant endorphins.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Saint Louis, MO | Registered: 21 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
How's it going now? Still sore, or getting used to it. Sounds a little like boot camp.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of susan dorris
posted Hide Post
I had my 7th PT session today, and I am amazed at how much progress has been made. I have excellent strength and flexibility in my hips, and have now started working on balance exercises, very good for core muscles. I am still walking on the treadmill, but at quite a fast pace. The therapist tells me I will regain the energy, strength, and flexibility that I had in my 20's. Fine with me!

The quadriceps on my left (surgical) leg was almost completely non-functional two weeks ago, and now is back close to normal strength and range of motion.

I am still really tired after two hours of exercises, but I know I will be pain-free and energetic tomorrow. I could become addicted to the program.

Gadfly
Picture of susan dorris
posted Hide Post
Boot camp it is not. A session starts with lying on a padded table, supported by pillows and thick pads. Heated pads are placed over the affected areas for ten minutes or so, and then the therapist gently stretches out the muscles while the patient relaxes, or tries to. Next is a general warm-up on a stationary bicycle, followed by about ten other exercises to integrate strength, flexibility, and balance. A cool-down on a treadmill, and last is again on the table with electris stimulus that promotes healing. The whole session is about two hours, as there is time for rest if needed.

And I have four more weeks of it!

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Sounds great....I'm glad you are healing so well.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
OK, time to fess up. I've put on 4 lbs since my last bragging post.

I think I'd better start logging my food again.

Gadfly
Picture of susan dorris
posted Hide Post
It is taking me far too long to lose the twenty pounds I gained with my surgery, and I don't think the molybdenum steel joint accounts for more than a few ounces.

So, last week I bought a book for a quarter at a garage sale. "Skinny Bitch" is a really good argument for becoming Vegan, so I have done so.

It wasn't too hard - I've been vegetarian for years. I purged my fridge of dairy and eggs, and it has been pretty effortless so far. A bit of a tug to pitch the remainder of the wedge of my favorite Parmiggiano, though.

Today is day seven. I haven't weighed myself, but I know I'm eating healthy food. Maybe after a month.

I did my grocery shopping at Soulard farmers' market this morning, a week's worth of food for $16, though of course I have some groceries from last week. Bernard's tabbouli is on the menu again! Mmmmm. I could eat it every day.

Fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch, a vegetable stew or soup for dinner. Green tea instead of coffee. I'd love to buy only orgainc veggies, but will have to get them from my garden instead.

My goal is to lose 80 pounds in ten months. I won't say "wish me luck." Instead, wish me health.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Wish I could add a positive note, but I've been carrying around 5 or 6 extra pounds myself for the last couple of months. Kinda odd, because I usually drop that without effort as soon as the weather warms. Reducing portion size or eliminating snacks between meals and the weight would be gone in a few weeks, but I just haven't managed to do it.

OK... Best effort starts tonight! No evening snack!

Posts: 37934 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of susan dorris
posted Hide Post
Watermelon for breakfast, and a grapefruit/avocado/escarole salad for lunch. Dinner will be the butternut squash/quinoa dish again.

It's gotta be healthy. This is day 10.

Gadfly
Picture of susan dorris
posted Hide Post
OK, the Vegan diet is working. I have lost 5 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks. Couldn't resist checking.

I eat a piece of fruit in the morning, but only after I am feeling a little hungry. If I am still hungry half an hour later, I eat another piece of fruit, For lunch I have a large vegetable salad with a dressing of olive oil, vinegar (any flavor) and herbs/garlic.
For dinner, I have a generous amount of soup or a veggie/beans/whole grains dish. Last night it was fresh homemade ratatouille. Yum. Lots of garlic and basil and a little summer savory.

So far it has been easy. Hope I can keep it up for as long as I need to.

And of course I'm taking my vitamins.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Congratulations susan on making a healthy change.

I've stabilized a bit, (so at least I'm not gaining), but I still have weight to lose, so it's time for me to leave the plateau.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Small success to report...I've gradually lost a few and am back down to what I feel is a comfortable weight, what I'd like to consider my "not to exceed" weight. I would like to lose a few more, but am encouraged by the progress.

Mr WTG is also losing slowly; he's at a weight he hasn't been for maybe 20 years! Just about all of his weight loss has been in the year since he retired. I wonder if it was the stress of work, or if his eating habits have changed now that he's home. Either way, he is a happy camper, except that his gym shorts are too big and he says he's afraid he's going to have an embarrassing moment one of these days. Maybe we'll go clothes shopping when he gets back from Door County. He's taking our friend Bill and Bill's dog Morgan back to their home.

Posts: 37934 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Excellent news! You must feel great about this!