well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    The WTF Losers
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 53
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The WTF Losers
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
Ummm...she's halfway to Toledo. So that would be a no. Plus Madrid is not a city I would feel comfortable cycling in and there are too many downsides to cycling for me here (would have to store bike in apartment and walk up 3 flights of stairs with it, summer heat gets in the 100's, etc.) Anyway, I don't commute to work, remember? Wink

Elena
http://www.pianofourhands.com

Posts: 7252 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
posted Hide Post
EH:

You meet with Laura a couple of times a week, though no? THat's like a commute in that it's routine.

If you turned part of that routine into exercize, you'd stick with it. FOr example if you walk to the next train station rather than the closest one. I don;t know MAdrid bit here something like that could add 2-3 miles to one's routine a few times a week.

Posts: 4676 | Location: Brooklyn, Earth | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
That is actually a great idea, Chris. I'll walk to the train station instead of taking the Metro there. It is only about 2 stops away.

(the soon to be healthier) Elena

Posts: 7252 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
posted Hide Post
Elena:

That's what I'm all about: great ideas...

(hoping Nanette does not read this because she'd probably reply like this: )

Posts: 4676 | Location: Brooklyn, Earth | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Jeez. When I first saw that gremlin and everyone talking about how NYC it was, my first thought, I swear, was that it was of a Hasidic Jew playing with his payot.

I just now got what it really was.

I am an idiot.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
posted Hide Post
Nina:

you need to get out more Big Grin

(the name of the graemlin should be a bit of a giveaway)

Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Jeez. When I first saw that gremlin and everyone talking about how NYC it was, my first thought, I swear, was that it was of a Hasidic Jew playing with his payot.

Now THAT would be a funny gremlin!!!Big Grin

Elena

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher James Quinn:

(the name of the graemlin should be a bit of a giveaway)

Oh my. Big Grin

I was a high jumper in high school. Dated a guy from a rival high school. When the track meet scores would go in the paper, they always abbreviated everything. So, my boyfriend's buddies were hysterical when it was reported that I broke the school record. They even called my by those initials. I, like Nina, was an idiot. It took me forever to figure it out...

Big Grin Jodi

Posts: 20411 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
Jodi, what are your initials??
----------------------------------------
Day 1: three 5-minute jogs over a 25 minute span... I'm dying here! Big Grin

On the plus side, this is where I jogged (it's a block away from where I live) And at 7 AM on a Sunday it was deserted.

Elena

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I did a run/walk yesterday and went to the gym the day before. (today im resting).

I did my three mile track but walked most of it. :shame:

THe upside is it includes about 1.5 miles of waterfront with great manhattan views.

Here's the promenade:

ANd here's the view of lower manahattan from the promenade.

Then I go under the Bridge, down water street:

Then I go around this brand new park (constructed 2003), under the Manhattan bridge (of CJQ-commute fame).

Then back home, mostly up hill. :ugh:

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
Jon, 3 MILES???? I don't think I do half a mile yet! Something to work towards I guess.

Beautiful trek you and CJQ have there. I remember showing Laura and her SO the Brooklyn Bridge on that side on an overcast day in January, the ice was floating down the river, it was so peaceful and deserted and absolutely beautiful.

Elena

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Wow, Jon - you do get some nice views when you walk. I love walking outside. Nothing is more boring than walking on a treadmill. I never get it, when I go to the gym, and it's this gorgeous day outside, and there are always people on the treadmill. I would lose my mind.

Ok, I got a new scale yesterday. The one we had was ancient, plus it was one of those with the little dial that went around, and was very difficult to see. So I got one with big digital numbers on it. You have to re-zero it when you move it (by stepping on and off once, and they weighing yourself. When I weighed myself the first time, it told me I weighed "100". Then, it told me I weighed "103.5" Frowner . This morning, it told me I weighed "99". *sigh* I'm going with the 99. Razzer

My clothes are fitting better, I can tell. And yesterday, I went on a 9 mile country bike ride - about 45 minutes of cardio.
I'm about to go out to the gym this morning for weights.

Smiler Jodi 99#

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Elena - you should shoot for walking briskly (getting your heart rate up) for a specific amount of time - and not worry about the distance. Start with 20 minutes. Aim for 45.

Smiler Jodi

Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
I will walk take the long way to the Palace on Tuesday and speedwalk there. I'll jog once I get to the garden. Thanks.

Elena

Gadfly
posted Hide Post
Execizing aside, I think we should start a photo thread about our surroundings. Jon, that place where you live looks fascinating Big Grin

Seriously, though. Love to see more of where we all live and wander.