well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    The wine thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The wine thread
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Wow, Guenoc. I still remember a truly remarkable Guenoc red (I think Pinot) served at a party years ago. How great that you found a great one at such a good price!

Joe

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Groupie
Picture of Eldon
posted Hide Post
Well, you've finally, with Matt's help, started a thread that's almost entirely Greek. Roll Eyes

Does anyone want a nice cold beer? Neener

Posts: 867 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Eldon, this one's on me....

jf

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Groupie
Picture of Eldon
posted Hide Post
NOW you're talkin' Jack.

Posts: 867 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Matt,

Nice review on the Guenoc.. and I'll make a pass through the2001 Peite Sirahs over the next few weeks on your recommendation.

I've been working in Munster Indiana during the week and have found a nice wine shop in Lansing.. an Italian name that escapes me at the moment..but the have a very nice selectionor Petites from that vintage..I was surprised. Usually they are a bit brooding even for me, although they, along with a bit of Carignane, vastly improve most Zinfandels.

Tonight is Chilean Sauv Blanc with great character of grapefruit and garss up front, much like a NZ SB, but just disappears on the back end.. nada.. nothing. An incomplete wine for sure. Also drinking a 2003 Sobon Amador Zin that is vastly overripe and raisiny.. like they tried to make Amarone, not Zinfandel.

I'll switch to a 2001 Sauvigny La Beaune .. Jean Guiton.. exceptionally nice Burgundy for $18

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Tonight, with salmon poached in orange juice and topped with light cajun seasoning, what i think is the best $10 bottle of wine in the universe.

jf

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yep.. Nobilo is great juice, no doubt!!

Also, Matt G... thatnks for the tip on the Rex Goliath! Very nice wine for the $$$

Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
Last night we tried something that had been suggested by my usual winemonger, a 2001 Brigaldara Valpolicella Classico from Italy. One usually thinks of Valpolicella as a pleasant, but unfortunately often inconsequential dry red well suited as a foil for typical Italian fare. This Valpolicella, however, is done in the ripasso style, meaning that (like the previously reviewed Masi Campofiorin) it has been allowed to sit on the lees of Amarone for some period of time. In the Brigaldara's case, the ripasso period is just two or three days. Yet in that short time, the wine is imbued with much of the concentrated flavors normally associated with Amarone.

This wine is deep, dark ruby red, and has a nice, firm body more typical of an Amarone than the usual Valpolicella. Flavors and smells abound in this wine, with everything from raisins, dark plums, blackberries and cherries. It has a nice medium acidity and rounded tannins that went well with the grilled Porterhouse steaks with which it was served. I thought this was a great bargain at $12.

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eldon:
Well, you've finally, with Matt's help, started a thread that's almost entirely Greek. Roll Eyes

Αυτή η πρόταση γράφεται εξ ολοκλήρου στα ελληνικά. Neener

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
Always on the lookout for something new to try, I happened upon a bottle of 2004 Earthworks Shiraz from Australia's Barossa Valley. Barossa Shirazes have a well-earned reputation for rich, concentrated fruit and an inviting, peppery spiciness. This particular choice, was rather lacking when compared with its brethren. What was really most noticeably absent was the fruitiness; this wine was kind of flabby and insipid. The characteristic pepperiness was well represented, though, and the wine has a long finish, although it is nearly only the spice that one tastes. Strangely, it smells warmly inviting, but the tannins are a bit overbearing, almost to the point of bitterness, and the very low acidity doesn't help, either. Not a wine I would recommend.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Possibly just too young.. the description sounded like a wine in a 'dumb' phase, where it shows very little of what's really inside.

What was the cost? If it was inexpensive, it's probably just a crummy wine.

Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
Mike, that was an $11 bottle, so I was hoping for a little better. I also thought it might be too young, but it came in a bottle with a screw cap, with a notation on the label stating that it was bottled that way intentionally to "keep the wine just as intended by the winemaker" so it was obviously meant to be consumed young. I did try a little more after the review above and it did open up and develop a little, but not enough for me to change my basic opinion.

S/O's more pointed review: "What is this? It's horrible!" HairRaising

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Might be one of those 'better the next day' wines.

If it had a screwcap I doubt it was meant to develop much, and at $11 I seriously doubt it.

Oh well.. I guess even Australia has mediocre producers.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
If you want a nice, full-featured Cab for a decent price, try BR Cohn's Napa/Sonoma blend.. 2001 vintage I think? Very nice for under $20.

Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
Tonight's choice: a 2001 Maryhill Fort Rock Red from Washington's Columbia valley. This is a proprietary blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Syrah. Altogether a very harmonious wine, one with a wonderful balance of complexity, fruitiness and spiciness.

In the glass, this wine presents a deep red color and medium body. The first aroma is one of licorice with red cherries not far behind. The flavor combines fresh black cherry with an interesting herbal undertone, and the finish is long and spicy. Great depth and complexity with medium tannins and acidity.

This wine would well accompany just about anything with which one could pair a red; it really seems like it would be incredibly versatile. To make matters even more interesting, this wine sells for about $13 per bottle. A fantastic bargain, and well worth seeking!