well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    WTF? A Cookbook!!!
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WTF? A Cookbook!!!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Old-fashioned Rice Pudding made in the Zojirushi fuzzy logic rice cooker, would probably work in the Instant Pot but I haven't tried that yet.

2/3 cup (real measuring cup, not the rice cup that comes with the cooker) medium-grain white rice, such as Arborio, Calriso, or other California-grown rice

4 cups milk
1 large egg
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1. Place rice and milk in the rice cooker bowl; stir to combine. Close the cover and set for the Porridge cycle.

2. When the machine switches to the Keep Warm cycle, combine the egg, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl and beat with a whisk. Open the rice cooker, spoon a few tablespoons of the rice milk into the egg mixture, and beat with a wooden spoon. Beating the rice milk constantly, pour the egg mixture into the rice cooker bowl. Stir for a minute to combine. Close the cover and reset for a second Porridge cycle. (I have to remove the bowl and let the whole machine cool down for a couple of minutes; otherwise I get an error message when I try to set the second Porridge cycle). Stir every 15 to 20 minutes until the desired thickness is reached.

3. Pour the pudding into 6 custard cups or ramekins. Serve warm or let cool slightly and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. When cold, cover with plastic wrap and store for up to 4 days.

Posts: 37742 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Risotto Ai Funghi in the Instant Pot

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup arborio rice
1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms OR 1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms, chopped and soaked to rehydrate
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup dried tomatoes, chopped and soaked to rehydrate (optional for me)
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Heat oil in pressure cooker (medium Saute setting). Add onion and saute until translucent.

2. Add rice, stirring often, until lightly golden.

3. Add mushrooms, stir to mix.

4. Add wine, stir to mix. Add tomatoes and broth.

5. Set cooker to Pressure Cooker, high pressure setting. Cook for 7 minutes.

6. Use quick pressure release.

7. Stir in Parmesan cheese.

(To double the recipe, only increase the broth to 3 1/2 cups.)

Posts: 37742 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Split Pea Soup in the Instant Pot

1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 potato, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup green split peas, rinsed
2 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper

I usually throw in a hunk of smoked pork of some kind - leftover ham, a ham bone, smoked pork hock...it adds it's own flavor, but isn't absolutely necessary.

1. Add all ingredients to IP bowl.

2. Set IP to Pressure Cook, high setting. Cook for 15 minutes

3. Use natural release method (let cool on its own).

4. Remove meat, if you included it. The non-fat parts can be chopped up and added back to the soup if you're so inclined. Sometimes I use an immersion blender to get a smoother soup, or you can leave it if you like the veggie pieces to be intact.

Mr WTG likes a splash of dry sherry and a bit of sour cream in his soup, a la The Magic Pan (their Potage Saint Germain). I like mine with no additions.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
It was delicious. Even better than crock pot. About 1.5 hours start to finish. I started the rice first, then started on the curry. Timing pretty close on both ends this way; I forgot the rice had to steam 15 minutes after the countdown, but that was enough time for the IP to depressurize naturally. Here's (my adaptation of) PJ's recipe:

Chicken Spinach Curry

bunch of cut up chicken pieces (1 lb skinless boneless thighs)
bunch of diced potatoes (3 - 4 white or Yukon gold)
diced onion one
cauliflower pieces (12 oz bag frozen)
Fresh spinach (1 salad bag, divided. Half at beginning and couple handfuls after depressurizing)
can o' (lite) coconut milk
generous quantity of curry powder (3 tablespoons)
No extra water needed.

Instant Pot: Saute onion in 2 T olive oil til translucent but not squishy, add chicken and saute a bit (I didn't wait for all the pink to disappear). Add potatoes, stir, add everything else, stir.

Process 14 minutes on manual/high pressure. Let it depressurize naturally (about 15 mins). It looks watery, with chunks of potato and cauliflower, but when you stir in the rest of the spinach, the potatoes and cauliflower break down and it's a lovely smooshy texture with some small chunks left. The spinach is still green.

Serve over rice, garnish with some fresh cilantro leaves if you'd like.

Yummmmmm.

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Instant Pot Chicken stock

4 lbs. chicken wings and/or backs (I buy organic drumsticks from Costco - skin on, bone in. Come in a three-pack, each pack is about 2 pounds. Only $1.99 a pound, I think.)

2 medium onions, peeled and quartered

2 ribs celery, cut into 2 inch lengths

2 carrots, peeled, cut into 2 inch lengths

(Original recipe also calls for 2 leeks cleaned and cut into half lengthwise. Also a couple of parsnips, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks. These are items I don't usually have in the frig, so I've never made the soup using them. I think they might be a good addition, though. ETA I added a cut-up leek the last time I made this stock; it was a fabulous addition.)

2 bay leaves

3 sprigs parley

3 sprigs thyme

9 to 10 cups water

Place chicken in the IP along with the onions, celery carrots, bay leaves, parsley, thyme. Add water.

Select high pressure and set timer for 45 minutes. Natural pressure release.

Strain, discarding chicken bones, meat, skin, vegetables and herbs. (The chicken meat is pretty well spent, but Mr WTG saves it, chills it, and then chops it up to make a pretty good chicken salad with celery and tarragon.)

Pass the stock through a fine mesh strainer to remove small bits. Cover and refrigerate. When chilled and congealed, remove chicken fat. With the chicken drumsticks, I don't usually get much fat at all, so I often skip this step.

Will keep frig for 3 days or in freezer for 6 months. I put the stock into 2 cup containers and freeze it. Much better than the store-bought stuff in the cartons.

Cheater hint: Sometimes I do add a little Better Than Bouillon stuff when I make soup recipes; adds a nice depth of flavor.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
From Adagio M

This lentil soup is a winner! Mine wasn't vegan; I like chicken broth better than vegetable broth. But yummy!

IMG_9353 by pianomom2001, on Flickr

Recipe here

Yield: Serves 4
Instant Pot Golden Lentil & Spinach Soup

Prep: 5 minutes

Cook: 30 minutes (including sauteeing and warm-up)

Total: 35 minutes

A thick and hearty lentil soup packed full of flavor. Made specifically for the it-appliance of the moment, The Instant Pot!
Ingredients:

2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
1 medium stalk celery, diced (about 1/2 cup)
4 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper+ more to taste
1 cup dry brown lentils, rinsed well in cold water
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
8 ounces (about 6 cups) baby spinach

Directions:

Hit “Saute” button on Instant Pot. Add oil. When hot, add the onions, carrots, and celery. Saute, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, turmeric, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring constantly, for one minute.

Add the lentils and pour in the broth. Stir.

Place the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the release valve is in the “sealing” position. Press the “Manual” button and set the timer at 12 minutes.

The Instant Pot will warm up for about 10 minutes and then start cooking. After the 12 minutes is up, quick-release by flipping the release valve to “venting” (a little bit at a time at first).

Once venting is complete, remove the lid of the Instant Pot. Stir in the spinach. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve.

Keeps in the refrigerator for about 3 days. Freezes well too!

Weight Watchers: 6 Smart Points per 1 1/4 cup serving

Nutrition Information

Yield: Serves 4, Serving Size: About 1 1/4 cup (1/4 of recipe)

Amount Per Serving: Calories: 134 Calories Total Fat: 3g Sodium: 580mg Carbohydrates: 17g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 4g Protein: 9g

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
From Adagio M:

Last night's dinner. Original recipe had 4 chicken breasts halved crosswise, but I think I'd prefer thighs on the next go-round. Added a bunch of stuff to it (celery, olives, capers, Italian seasoning) to make it more interesting.

25 min prep, 25 min cook (10 min pressure, instant release)
Serve over rice, pasta, or with crusty bread

INGREDIENTS
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more if necessary

10 ounces cremini mushrooms, trimmed and quartered

8 bone-in chicken thighs

1 medium yellow onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 large carrots, sliced 1/4" thick

2 ribs celery, sliced

1/2 cup dry red wine

8 sprigs fresh thyme

1 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes, DRAINED

2 tsp capers, drained

1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives

2 tsps Italian seasoning

Small handfull chopped parsley for garnish

1. Turn the Instant Pot® on to saute. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. (Yes worth it to do these first.)

2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add half the chicken, skin side down, and cook until the skin is golden brown and crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip and cook for 1 minute more. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken.

3. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and the onion and celery, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.

4. Add carrots and wine, and cook, stirring and scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pot, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, crushing them with your hands as you add them to the pot. Add Italian seasoning, thyme, mushrooms, olives, and capers, and mix to combine. Press Cancel.

5. Arrange the chicken on top of the tomato mixture. Lock the lid. Press Manual and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Use the “Quick Release” method to vent the steam, then open the lid.

6. Serve the chicken and vegetables over rice or pasta, garnished with parsley.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Pressure Cooker Sauerbraten from Pressure Cooking for Dummies

Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time:60 minutes under pressure
Pressure: High

1 cup water
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp. salt
Salt and pepper
4-pound beef chuck or rump roast (I use the latter)

2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 large carrots, coarsely chopped
2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed (I omit this)
3/4 cup finely crushed gingersnaps
2 bay leaves

1. Combine the water, vinegar, wine, brown sugar, cloves, and 2 teaspoons salt. Set aside.

2. Generously salt and pepper the meat.

3. Set Instant Pot to Saute at medium heat. Brown the meat evenly on all sides.

4. Add the carrots, celery, onions, garlic, crushed gingersnaps, and bay leaves. Pour the mixture from STep 1 over the meat. Stir to combine. Cover, set IP to Pressure Cook, high, and cook for 60 minutes.

5. Release pressure using quick-release.

6. Remove the meat to a platter and cover with foil. Discard the bay leaves. Puree the liquid in a food processor or blender until smooth, or use an immersion blender. Season to taste. Slice the meat across the grain into thick slices and serve with gravy. Egg noodles, spaetzle, or mashed potatoes on the side.

Couple of notes:

a. The sauerbraten is easier to slice if you cook the recipe ahead of time and refrigerate the meat. Much firmer and easier to cut. Straight out of the pot, it's delicious too, but the meat wants to fall apart a bit more.

b. I've used chuck roast in this recipe and it falls apart more than the rump roast, which is more "sliceable". Both are tasty. I think you could cook the pot roast for maybe 45 minutes rather than the full 60.

c. We like Hengstenberg Red Cabbage with apple as a side to sauerbraten and spaetzle: https://www.hengstenberg.com/products/red_cabbage

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Winner, winner, Lamb Biryani Dinner!!!

So far all of the recipes I've tried from Indian Instant Pot Cookbook by Urvashi Pitre have been fabulous.

I buy boneless leg of lamb from Costco for about $5 a pound, cut it into one pound chunks and freeze to use in this type of recipe. Each pound portion gives us two generous dinner portions, plus a nice sized lunch for one of us the next day.

Lamb Dum Biryani

1 cup basmati rice (aged Indian basmati preferred)
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup chopped mint
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons Garam Masala
1 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
1 pound boneless shoulder or leg of lamb, cut into cubes and all visible fat removed
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon peanut oil
1 cup water
1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro

1. Rinse the rice and set aside. This will allow the rice to soften a bit and absorb some water.

2. In a large bowl, mix together the yogurt, onion, cilantro, mint, ginger garlic, garam masala, 1 teaspoon of the salt, turmeric, cayenne, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and serrano pepper. Add the lamb and stir to coat lamb cubes with the marinade. Let the lamb marinate for 30 minutes.

(I just sauteed the sliced onions in a skillet with a little oil and butter rather than using their broiler method, which follows)

3. Preheat the oven to broil. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil.

4. With your fingers, break apart the onion slices onto the foil-lined pan. Add the remaining 3/4 teaspoon of salt and the peanut oil and mix well.

5. Broil the onions for about 15 minutes, stirring once or twice, until they are well browned and crisp (Traditionally this is done in a pan on the stove, but it's quite a painstaking process. This method is largely hands-off and works well) Set aside.

6. When the lamb has finished marinating, pour the marinade, along with the lamb, into the inner cooking pot. Spread the lamb, yougurt, and spice mixture to cover the bottom of the pot.

7. Carefully spread the rice over all the meat in a uniform layer.

8. Pour in the water and gently push down the rice until it's submerged under the water. Do not mix the lamb and the rice together.

9. Lock the lid into place. Set to Pressure Cook and High. Cook for 6 minutes.

10. When the cooking is complete, let the pressure release naturally.

11. Unlock the lid and serve, top with the browned onions and cilantro.

It was pretty amazing. The rice grains stood up straight, almost like porcupine quills. The meat was fork tender and the rice perfectly done.

It doesn't get any better than this. I can finally cook good Indian food at home!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Tried a couple of other recipes from the Indian Instant Pot Cookbook. One was a vegetarian cabbage dish that we were both kind of neutral about (though it improved a lot when we topped it with a little Major Grey Chutney).

OTOH, we both loved this lamb dish:

Lamb Rogan Josh (Lamb Curry)

1 cup diced onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon Garam Masala
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup water
1 pound boneless leg of lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes

1. In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients except the lamb. Add the lamb and stir to coat. Cover the bowl and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour or up to 24 hours. (If pressed for time, skip marinating and proceed to cooking.)

2. Transfer the lamb mixture to the inner cooking pot of the Instant Pot. Lock the lid into place. Set to High pressure. Cook for 20 minutes (15 minutes if you prefer chewier meat).

3. When cooking is complete, let the pressure release naturally. Unlock the lid and serve.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Original recipe

So I made the Quinoa, Sweet Potato, & Black Bean Vegetarian Chili. It was delish. A more "fresh" taste than a long-simmered chili; it may have a different profile after it sits overnight. The quinoa is a really nice thickener.

It called for a couple of cans of black beans; I used one can of black beans and one of a tri-bean mix (kidney, pinto, and black).

I used a poblano pepper instead of regular green pepper and left out the cocoa. I diced up some avocado as a topping, along with shredded cheese and a little TJ's habanero hot sauce. Mr WTG skipped the avocado but included sour cream on his.

The original recipe is for a slow cooker. I cooked it a high pressure for 10 minutes and then let it sit for another ten before releasing the pressure. The sweet potatoes were nicely done but not mush.

Definitely a winner. I think I may include some corn kernels next time, and some chilis in adobo sauce might be a nice addition too.

Here's the original recipe for the slow cooker with my notations for the Instant Pot and ingredient modifications:

Slow Cooker Quinoa, Sweet Potato, & Black Bean Chili

An unbelievably easy, protein-rich, and hearty chili to warm up the coldest of winter nights.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well in cool water
3 cups cooked black beans (about 2 [15-ounce] cans, drained) [vary the bean mix to your taste]
2 cups vegetable broth [I used water plus some Beef Better Than Bouillon]
2 (14-ounce) cans diced tomatoes [I used Muir Glen diced fire roasted tomatoes]
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced {poblano pepper]
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced*
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons cocoa powder [optional]
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Additional salt and pepper to taste

Topping ideas:

Cilantro
Greek yogurt, sour cream, or vegan sour cream
Shredded cheese
Chopped green onions
[Avocado or guacamole]
TJ's habanero hot sauce]

Directions:

[Set 6 quart IP to saute and cook onions for five minutes]

Add all ingredients (except additional salt and pepper and toppings) to a 3-quart or larger slow cooker [6 quart Instant Pot] . Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 5-6 hours. [Set IP to high pressure cook and set for 10 minutes. Allow to sit for another 10 or 15 minutes, then depressurize] That’s it! Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve with assorted toppings. Keeps refrigerated in an airtight container for about 3 days. It freezes well, too!

* Because jalapeno peppers can vary greatly heat-wise, I like to take a quick taste and see how hot it is. If it’s fairly mild, I’ll add seeds along with the flesh. If it’s pretty spicy, I’ll discard the seeds and even sometimes use only half of the pepper. Go with what you’re comfortable with!
Meat option:

Add cooked diced chicken or browned ground turkey to the batch or to individual portions.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Crunchy Thai Peanut & Quinoa Salad
Author: Cookie and Kate
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes Yield: 4 servings Category: Salad Cuisine: Thai
★★★★★

4.9 from 52 reviews

This Thai-flavored salad recipe is made with carrots, cabbage, snow peas, and quinoa, tossed in delicious peanut sauce. This healthy salad is vegan, gluten free, and packs well for lunch. Recipe yields 4 salads.

INGREDIENTS
Salad

¾ cup uncooked quinoa or millet
1 ½ cups water
2 cups shredded purple cabbage
1 cup grated carrot
1 cup thinly sliced snow peas or sugar snap peas
½ cup chopped cilantro
¼ cup thinly sliced green onion
¼ cup chopped roasted and salted peanuts, for garnish
Peanut sauce

¼ cup smooth peanut butter
3 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (I love ginger so I used 2 teaspoons)
½ lime, juiced (about 1 ½ tablespoons)
Pinch of red pepper flakes

INSTRUCTIONS

Cook the quinoa: First, rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh colander under running water. In a medium-sized pot, combine the rinsed quinoa and 1 ½ cups water. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and gently simmer the quinoa until it has absorbed all of the water. Remove the quinoa from heat, cover the pot and let it rest for 5 minutes. Uncover the pot and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Set it aside to cool. (Here’s how to cook millet.)

Meanwhile, make the peanut sauce: Whisk together the peanut butter and tamari until smooth (if this is difficult, microwave the mixture for up to 30 seconds to loosen it up). Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth. If the mixture seems too thick to toss into the salad, whisk in a bit of water to loosen it up (I didn’t need to do this).

In a large serving bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, shredded cabbage, carrot, snow peas, cilantro and green onion. Toss to combine, then pour in the peanut sauce. Toss again until everything it lightly coated in sauce. Taste, and if it doesn’t taste quite amazing yet, add a pinch of salt and toss again. Divide into individual bowls and garnish with peanuts.
This salad keeps well, covered and refrigerated, for about 4 days. If you don’t want your chopped peanuts to get soggy, store them separately from the rest and garnish just before serving.

NOTES
Recipe minimally adapted from Frugal Vegan by Katie Koteen and Kate Kasbee.

MAKE IT VEGAN: Use maple syrup (or agave nectar) instead of honey.

MAKE IT GLUTEN FREE: Be sure to use certified gluten-free tamari, not soy sauce.

RECOMMENDED EQUIPMENT: I used this mandoline to shred the cabbage (it’s dangerous; watch your fingers at all times!) and this julienne peeler to shred the carrots. (Those are affiliate links.)

Posts: 35366 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried this yet, but wanted to capture it for posterity.

Pressure Cooker Shrimp Biryani

6 servings

Ingredients:

2 cups basmati rice

2 teaspoons vegetable oil

1 onion, chopped

1 Serrano chile, minced

2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger

1 tablespoon minced garlic

2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 teaspoon Kashmiri chile powder

1 teaspoon smoked paprika

10 fresh curry leaves, torn into pieces

1 1/2 cups boiling water

1 1/2 pounds jumbo shrimp (16 to 20 or fewer per pound, see note), peeled and deveined

1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice

2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice, plus more wedges for serving

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Steps:

1. Place the rice in a bowl and cover with 2 cups water. Let stand for 20 minutes, then drain and rinse.

2. Heat oil in the pot of an electric pressure cooker with the sauté function set on high, until oil is shimmering. Add onion; cook for about 4 minutes, until softened. Stir in Serrano chile, ginger, garlic, salt, chile powder, turmeric, paprika and curry leaves; cook for about 1 minute, until fragrant.

3. Stir in boiling water; using a wooden spoon, stir, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot. Stir in soaked rice, shrimp and tomatoes (with juice).

4. Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. Quick-release the pressure, stir lime juice into the rice, then cover the pressure cooker with a kitchen towel and let it sit for 5 minutes.

5. Give rice a stir, then taste and add more salt, if needed. Transfer to a platter, garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges on the side.

Note: Make sure to use jumbo shrimp or larger for this recipe. Look for “16/20” or “U/15” on the package; this indicates how many shrimp there are per pound.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
[modified version of https://keviniscooking.com/aut...can-pickled-carrots/ ]

Adagio M's Mexican Pickled Carrots

I find that a little less jalapeño and a little more liquid (because I want it to cover) is good. Also added a little sugar. Here are my mods. I put them in used Talenti Gelato containers (who, me?) so I can give them away.

Mexican Pickled Carrots

Ingredients
2 lbs large carrots
1 large jalapeño
1/2 medium white onion
5 cloves garlic diced
2 cups white vinegar
2 cups water
6 leaves bay whole
10 peppercorns
2 tsp dried Mexican oregano (can use regular oregano if that’s what you have)
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp sugar

Instructions
Peel and slice carrots and onion into 1/4 inch thick pieces.. Cut the stems off jalapeño and slice thin on diagonal. Set aside.

In a large stock pot add the garlic, vinegar, water, bay leaves, peppercorns, oregano, salt, sugar. Bring to a boil and add the carrots, onion and jalapeño. Lower heat to medium low and cook for 15 minutes, uncovered.

Allow to cool completely and store vegetables and cooking liquid in clean containers with lid. Keep refrigerated.

Fine to eat after 3 hours, best if pickled for at least a day or two.

Prep Time
10 mins
Cook Time
20 mins
Total Time
30 mins

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Cauliflower Masala from Healthful Indian Flavors with Alamelu

The finished dish:

The recipe is from a cookbook by a very sweet Indian lady, Alamelu Vairavan, who had a cooking show for a few years on Milwaukee Public Television. Her recipes are generally pretty unfussy and easy to make.

Here goes:

3 cups cauliflower pieces cut in 1 to 1 1/2 inch chunks including short stems

2 tbsps oil (I used ghee)

1/2 tsp black mustard seeds

1/2 tsp urad dal (I substituted cumin seeds, per Alamelu's suggested substitutions for ingredients you may not have on hand)

1/2 cup chopped onions

1/2 cup chopped tomatoes (fresh from my garden!)

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, ribs removed, and diced (my addition, not in her recipe... because I have more jalapeno peppers than I know what to do with in my garden! Also provided some green because Mr wtg doesn't like cilantro, so I never use it)

2 or 3 garlic cloves chopped

1/4 tsp ground turmeric

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/2 cup tomato sauce. (I had none in the house, but I did have my trusty tomato powder. See this guide to using tomato powder. I get mine from The Spice House. Once you try it, you'll never be without it.)

1 tsp salt

The photo in the cookbook also shows a cilantro garnish.

1. Steam the cauliflower pieces until crisp-tender.

2. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, but not smoking, add mustard seeds and urad dal. cover and cook until mustard seeds pop and urad dal is golden brown, about 30 seconds.

3. Add onions, tomatoes, jalapenos (if using), and garlic. Stir fry for 1 minute over medium heat.

4. Add turmeric, cayenne, and cumin. Stir well over medium heat for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce and salt. Mix well to obtain a thick paste-like consistency.

5. Add steamed cauliflower pieces and stir carefully to coat with sauce. cook uncovered over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Be careful not to overcook.