well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    JANUARY Decorator of the Month Contest
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JANUARY Decorator of the Month Contest
 Login/Join

Gadfly
Picture of susan dorris
posted Hide Post
Try it in the above-mentioned white bean soup, and parboil the kale before you add it to the soup. This is the recipe that made me like kale.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Saint Louis, MO | Registered: 21 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of susan dorris
posted Hide Post
Question for RealPlayer:

Which Greens Cookbook do you like? There are several, and I am not familiar with them.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Saint Louis, MO | Registered: 21 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of susan dorris
posted Hide Post
I just made the red lentil curry, and it was quite tasty. Not as hot (jalapeno hot) as I expected, but so much the better for most tastes. I did parboil the cubed potatoes, and they were a bit too mushy. Only a few minutes next time.

Also, the red lentils (from Whole Foods) were pink! I expected them to be the color of kidney beans.

Added a little homemade Garam Masala sprinkled on top, and some tamarind chutney on the side. The recipe makes a generous amount - leftovers for lunch tomorrow and beyond!

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by susan dorris:
Question for RealPlayer:

Which Greens Cookbook do you like? There are several, and I am not familiar with them.

I didn't know there were more than one. I'm sure mine is the first, simply called The Greens Cook Book.

There is a related book called the Tassajara Recipe Book, by Edward Espe Brown (one of the authors of the Greens Cookbook). You can see the similarity in the recipes and techniques.

The Greens Restaurant (which may still exist) in San Francisco is what gave birth to this cookbook(s), but the food mavens in the Bay Area now say their cooking has been far surpassed in inventiveness by other local eateries.

Posts: 13801 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of musicasacra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by musicasacra:
I'm looking for recipes with kale, if anyone can recommend some. Here are the next two I'm going to try, but with pearl couscous in the first recipe --
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/rec...up-with-goats-cheese

I made the soup tonight -- it was quite good. I swapped the regular couscous for pearl couscous and added sauteed shallots. Really interesting with the crumbled goat cheese. I'll make it again. It's a light soup, but with some crusty bread it's all good.

Posts: 2659 | Registered: 02 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Read through all the recipes and will decide very soon...maybe tomorrow.

Speaking of kale, has anyone tried kale chips? I've heard they're very good, super healthful, but I gasped when I saw the price at the health food store. Something like $8 for 5 oz.

Posts: 13801 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Somebody here said you can make them at home easily. I think you wash the kale, sprinkle them with olive oil and seasoning and stick them in the oven. It was very popular here at our house--once--until the kids caught on that they were healthy.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
We've made them - easy, no need to buy them.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of musicasacra
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2659 | Registered: 02 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
This was a tough one to judge because I liked all the recipes. I want to save all of them and try them (Mods, can we somehow save this thread in the Pinblock or something?)

Jon-NYC wins for his Stuffed Portobellos.

Runners-up were musicasacra's pasta with asparagus and blue cheese and PA's potato-red lentil dish.

I had minor issues with some of the recipes, including Jon's. Jon, I think a different cheese than sharp cheddar may work better here, some Mexican variety, but it still sounds like a great recipe.

ms, the combo of pasta, asparagus and blue cheese is intriguing (though unusual), and I think it would work except for the large amount of blue cheese called for. It seems to me that the ingredients call for a careful balance of flavors.

Thanks, everyone, for playing. I really do want to save and try all of these.

"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Made Jon's portobellos last night. My children came running from all over the house begging to have some. No small feat given their general lack of enthusism for foods in the green family!

I was out of sharp cheddar, so substituted pepper jack. Roasted the poblanos over the flame of the gas stove burner.

I think my poblanos were probably too big--next time I'll use one poblano and more spinach I think.

But still, extraordinarily yummy! Well deserved title!

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post