well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    JANUARY Decorator of the Month Contest
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JANUARY Decorator of the Month Contest
 Login/Join

What Life?
Picture of musicasacra
posted Hide Post
BTW, BBC Good Food has a lot of vegan recipes.
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search.do?keywords=Vegan

I'm looking for recipes with kale, if anyone can recommend some. Here are the next two I'm going to try, but with pearl couscous in the first recipe --
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/rec...up-with-goats-cheese
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/rec...37/winter-minestrone

Posts: 2659 | Registered: 02 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of susan dorris
posted Hide Post
I make a white bean soup with kale.

Soak a pound of dry white beans in water overnight, or use three cans of Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained.

Heat:
1/4 cup olive oil in soup pot

Add and cook until onions are soft:
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp. Italian parsley
2 bay leaves

Add:
4 cups vegetable broth or low sodium chicken broth
drained beans
salt and pepper

Cook 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours

Remove bay leaves and puree 1 or 2 cups of the soup and return it to the pot.

Wash 1 bunch kale and remove stem and rib by folding leaf in half and slicing stem and large part of rib away from leaf. Slice a stack of leaves crosswise into 1/4 to 1/2 inch ribbons.

Stir into boiling soup and cook until greens are soft.

Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and some grated parmesan.

If you don't like the slightly bitter taste of the kale, it can be cooked in boiling water in a separate pot for a few minutes, drained, and then added to the soup, or so I'm told. I like the taste of kale, so have never pre-cooked it.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Saint Louis, MO | Registered: 21 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by musicasacra:
I'm looking for recipes with kale, if anyone can recommend some.

One of our standbys, which works with any assertive green, is blanched with bacon and onion. We usually make it with Kale or Collard Greens.

Here it is (from memory)

- Coarsely chop and blanch your assertive green
(boil for 7 minutes, drain and pour cold water over it to stop it cooking. squeeze out water, doesn't need to be dry just not soaked)

- cook three pieces of bacon in a pan. Remove, saving the grease.

- add oil to the bacon grease if necessary so there's enough to cook onions. i use about 1/3 of a large onion, chopped. cook until lightly caramelized.

- put kale back in pan and stir it in until warm again.

- add 1/4 cup chicken broth and cover pan, cooking for 2 min or so.

- remove lid, cook more if necessary to cook down liquid. Add crumbled bacon and sprinkle two teaspoons of cider vinegar over kale.

- serve.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
The above comes from Cooks Illustrated, by the way, one of their compilation books.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Kale's a big favorite of mine too. I regularly make a Kale and Potato soup from the Greens Cookbook.

Posts: 13801 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Piano Again
posted Hide Post
I've made a curry with lentils and kale that we enjoyed. It's based on a recipe I found for red lentils and potatoes (also good), but I substitute brown lentils and kale for those ingredients. I'll look it up when I get home. (Basically, it has the usual cumin, coriander, turmeric, and chile, plus lime juice.)

Posts: 3833 | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Another of our all time favs...when we were first married I cooked ONLY vegatarian...I was home and experimenting...I later had 3 sons who loved meat which made it harder to continue but this recipe survived...I no longer look it up, I make it on the fly...without mushrooms...

From The Moosewood Cookbook...Spaghetti Squash Caserole

Ingredients
1 medium spaghetti squash ( about 8 inches)
2 tablespoons butter (I use olive oil)
1 cup chopped onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced (optional, we don't use them)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 cup ricotta cheese or 1 cup cottage cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/4-1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1/4-1/3 cup romano cheese
(Here I cheat and use prepared "Italian Breadcrumbs" as the have spices cheese and crumb together)

Directions

Set oven to 375°F.
Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
Slice the squash in half lengthwise; remove and discard the seeds.
Place squash cut side down in a baking dish.
Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. (I micro each half for 7 minutes in a 400 watt micro)

Meanwhile melt butter (olive oil) in a skillet.
Sauté mushrooms, onion, garlic, herbs and seasonings until onion is translucent.
Add the tomatoes; cook until most of the liquid is evaporated; set aside.
When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate into strands.

Combine squash, tomato mixture, ricotta, mozzarella cheese, parsley and crumbs.
Pour into greased dish.
Sprinkle with parmesan cheese (Italian bread crumbs).
Bake uncovered at 375°F for 40 minutes

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Piano Again
posted Hide Post
Here's the potato curry with red lentils, with commentary from the Washington Post food writer who posted it (this was a couple of years ago -- I'm not sure Kim O'Donnel even writes for them anymore). It's a great recipe. I always use yellow onion instead of red -- I don't think it makes any difference because it is cooked so thoroughly. As I mentioned, I have also made something similar to this but with kale and non-pureed brown lentils instead.

quote:
Meatless Monday: Super Cinchy Curried Potatoes

While in DC last week, I cooked dinner with my pal Liz Kelly, who shares my love for all things lentil-y. The gray cold weather last Tuesday had us craving something that would warm our bellies, so we decided to try out a recipe that’s been on my to-do list, from the new “660 Curries” by Raghavan Iyer.

In just 45 minutes, we had dinner on the table, but we agreed that if not for our kitchen gabfest, we probably could have pulled it all together in about a half hour. (The trick is to have a pot of lentils going while you prep the taters and the aromatics.)

(Kim O'Donnel)
I had little idea of what Iyer meant by a red lentil sauce and how it would translate at the table, thinking maybe this would make an interesting side dish. But something magical happens when the creamy lentil puree meets the starchy curried-up diced potatoes – it morphs into a hearty stew that feels like a one-bowl meal. The texture is so satisfying, with plenty of curried notes to keep the tongue engaged. This dish is a serious keeper!

Liz reports that it was even better for lunch the next day, and highly recommends experimenting with tamarind sauce as a dipping condiment (she likes Deep brand, which she found at an Indian grocery in Falls Church, Va.).

We heated up frozen naan for mopping up the gravy, but I could see a thin roti working here as well as a scoop of rice.

One-Pot Potatoes in a Red Lentil Sauce with Lime Juice
From "660 Curries" by Raghavan Iyer

Ingredients
1 cup red lentils
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
2 or 3 fresh green Thai, cayenne or serrano chiles, to taste, stemmed, finely chopped
1 pound russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice, submerged in a bowl of cold water to prevent browning

2 teaspoons coarse salt
2 teaspoons cumin seeds, ground
1 teaspoon coriander seeds, ground
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Juice of 1 medium lime

Method
Place lentils in a medium saucepan. Fill pan halfway with water and rinse lentils by rubbing them between your fingertips. Water will become cloudy. Drain this water. Repeat three or four times, until water is relatively clear, and drain.

Add two cups water and bring to a boil, uncovered, over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, 10-12 minutes. Remove pan from heat.

While lentils are cooking, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and cook until they sizzle, turn reddish brown and are fragrant, 10-15 seconds. Add onion, ginger and chiles, and stirfry until onion is caramel brown, 8-10 minutes.

Drain potatoes and add them to skillet. Stir in salt, ground cumin, coriander, turmeric and cilantro. Stirfry to cook spices as they turn fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water, scraping bottom of skillet to deglaze, releasing any collected bits of onion and spice. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are fork-tender, 8-10 minutes. (KOD note: The potatoes took closer to 20 minutes to get tender. One option is to parboil potatoes before adding to the skillet with spices.)

Puree lentils, using a blender, immersion blender or a whisk – a trick that Celebritologist and fellow lentil lover Liz Kelly shared with me. The red lentils are easily coaxed by a few turns of a whisk.

Pour this creamy blend over potatoes. Stir sauce into mixture allowing potatoes to absorb some of its flavors. Stir in lime just before serving.

Makes six servings.

Posts: 3833 | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of susan dorris
posted Hide Post
Oooh! I'm going to try this one, very soon.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Saint Louis, MO | Registered: 21 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
A whole host of quick vegetarian recipes: http://www.nytimes.com/interac...l?src=me&ref=general

Posts: 37848 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
TIME TO CHOOSE, My Friend, Joe....

Lots of wonderful choices this time.

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of susan dorris
posted Hide Post
And it would be wonderful to have the recipes in the permanent file!

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by susan dorris:
And it would be wonderful to have the recipes in the permanent file!

I know. It WOULD be nice to have this in a permanent file. How can we do this?

There are lots of suggestions here. I certainly can't cook them all and sample them, so I'll have to go by "cooke's intuition" (and personal preferences) and make my call based on the recipes alone.

Posts: 13801 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of apple*
posted Hide Post
btw... the current deco is my absolute favorite pic ever. So lively and green and interesting. i need to save it before it dissappears.

Posts: 4933 | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of apple*
posted Hide Post
about kale.. my fam has not exactly taken to it.. maybe they need some time.

I do shred it finely and put it into salads.. they seem to like that.

Posts: 4933 | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post