well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    JANUARY Decorator of the Month Contest
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JANUARY Decorator of the Month Contest
 Login/Join

"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Shalu's Chick Pea Curry

Vegetable oil
cumin seeds
mustard seeds
black gram lentils
asafoetida
2 cans chick peas or kidney beans
1 can tomatoes
1 C sour cream, milk or cream (optional)
whole star anise (3)
whole black cardamon (3)
turmeric
package frozen pepper strips or fresh
red onions
green chiles
salt
pepper
coriander leaves
1 heaping tablespoon curry paste

In a couple of teaspoons of vegetable oil, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and black gram lentils in a large pot like a stock pot.

When the oil is heated, add a tad of asafoetida for flavor and the whole spices (Crush the cardamon first, but don't pulverize it).

Add onions and peppers (optional) and cook for a few minutes. Add green chilies and tumeric powder (optional).

Add tomatoes and cook for a few minutes.

Add curry paste.

Add chick peas or Kidney beans and cook for a few minutes until the gravy is absorbed by the beans/peas.

Add milk, cream, or sour cream. (This step is optional but adds flavor and moderates the spice. Of course leave it out for a vegan dish.)

Add coriander leaves for flavor.

Serve with pre-made Chapatis (Indian tortillas) in which case you scoop up the curry with the chapatis, or over rice.

My Girl Scout troop made this in bulk for an encampment of 50 younger girls. It was very popular. Be careful not to eat the whole spices that are left in the dish though! One little girl thought a star anise was a spider! Eek!

Shalu says this is one of her family's go-to meals on busy nights.

Edited to remove picture.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Poblano and Cheddar stuffed Portobellos.

This is TO DIE for. I first made it for Rachel on Mother's day last year.

2 poblano chiles
4 jumbo portobello mushrooms (about 6 ounces each), stemmed
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup baby spinach
1/2 cup cooked rice
1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro

Light a grill or preheat the broiler. Roast the poblanos over the grill or under the broiler, turning, until blackened, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let cool. Peel, core and seed the poblanos then finely chop them.

Brush the portobello mushrooms with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill or broil the mushrooms over high heat, turning, until softened, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a plate, stem side down; let drain and cool.

Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the baby spinach and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Transfer the spinach to a sieve and press out the liquid. In a bowl, mix the spinach with the rice, cheese, cilantro and poblanos. Season with salt and pepper.

Preheat the oven to 325°. Season the mushroom caps with salt and pepper. Spoon the rice mixture into the mushrooms, mounding it slightly. Transfer the mushrooms to a baking dish and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the top is lightly browned. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano Again:
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
The success of Jon's recipe is, in part, why I started this contest. I want to discover more great recipes like that!

I think that recipe was originally from the NYT, wasn't it?

No I made it up myself! Ok maybe it was in epicurious...

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
The mushrooms sound delicious Jon. The meat eater will have to try them!

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Another lovely one.

Roasted Vegetable Tartines.

1 good quality baguette

1 small-medium eggplant

1-2 bell peppers

1-2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes

olive oil

dried (or fresh) oregano

salt and pepper

Dijon mustard

around 4 oz. of chevre (goat cheese) warmed to room temp so it is soft

a handful of basil leaves

a few cups grated mozzarella

Heat the oven to 425F. Wash and dice the eggplant and the red pepper. Toss the eggplant, bell pepper, and cherry tomatoes with a couple splashes of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and oregano. Spread out onto a baking sheet and roast in the oven, stirring occasionally, until they are soft and getting dark brown spots on them.

Meanwhile, cut the baguette into 3 or 4 equal length chunks, then slice each of these chunks in half lengthwise so you have open faced bread pieces. Spread each piece of bread with just a little bit of Dijon, then spread or sprinkle with the chevre. Place a couple of basil leaves on top of the cheese on each piece of bread. Place all of the pieces of bread into a baking pan.

Pile the roasted vegetables onto the pieces of bread, then sprinkle generously with the grated mozzarella. Put the tartines into the oven and cook until the cheese is melted and bubbling, around 15 minutes.

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
(Edited to fix ingredient error!)

One of our all time favs...When I ask the college kid what I should make when he comes home, it is this...Also a great dish for a pot luck! The corn bread on top is dramatic! Even better is that is is Vegan AND it is a great pantry recipe...I can often scrounge the ingredients without a trip to the store....(at times I make the corn bread with a bit of buttermilk powder)

Ever since I learned this recipe, ALL my chilis include cocoa powder. Ole

Black Bean Chili Pot Pie from Vegatarian Times 2001
Serves 8

1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 (19-oz.) cans cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1 Tbs. tomato paste
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. dried coriander
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
1 large green bell pepper, diced (1 3/4 cups)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs. cumin
1 Tbs. chili powder

Cornbread topping

2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup fine yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 Tbs. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup water
2 tbsps veg oil

Directions
In 4-quart Dutch oven or flameproof casserole, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add onion and pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. In small bowl, mix cumin, chili powder, coriander, cocoa and salt to taste.
Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil and spice mixture to pot; stir 1 minute over medium heat. Add remaining ingredients; gradually bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding more salt if necessary. Remove pan from heat.
Preheat oven to 400F. Make topping: In medium bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make well in center of dry ingredients. Add water and oil to well and stir until blended. Let batter stand 2 minutes. Pour batter over chili and spread evenly (it will be thin).
Bake until topping is cooked through and chili is bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before serving.

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Made some modifications, but did the portobella mushrooms for dinner last night. BIL can't have garlic or hot peppers, so that is why recipe got changed. They came out delicious! Thanks for the idea Jon.

The variation - not for competition!

Bismati rice in chicken stock with garlic chives and parsley -only half cup needed
Stir fried 1 red and 1 green peppers and then put on fresh baby spinach to wilt. Ground pepper, sea salt, more herbs, onion powder.

Mixed in with the rice.

Spooned onto the drained mushrooms and grated cheese on top.

Into the oven at 325 for 20 min.

Yum! Served with Roast chicken and steamed broccoli

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of apple*
posted Hide Post
i kind of like hearts of palm out of the can.

Posts: 4933 | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Piano Again
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
One of our all time favs...When I ask the college kid what I should make when he comes home, it is this...Also a great dish for a pot luck! The corn bread on top is dramatic! Even better is that is is Vegan AND it is a great pantry recipe...I can often scrounge the ingredients without a trip to the store....(at times I make the corn bread with a bit of buttermilk powder)

Ever since I learned this recipe, ALL my chilis include cocoa powder. Ole

Black Bean Chili Pot Pie from Vegatarian Times 2001
Serves 8

1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 (19-oz.) cans cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1 Tbs. tomato paste
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. sugar
3/4 cup water
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp. dried coriander
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
1 large green bell pepper, diced (1 3/4 cups)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs. cumin
1 Tbs. chili powder

Cornbread topping

2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup fine yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 Tbs. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Directions
In 4-quart Dutch oven or flameproof casserole, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add onion and pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. In small bowl, mix cumin, chili powder, coriander, cocoa and salt to taste.
Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil and spice mixture to pot; stir 1 minute over medium heat. Add remaining ingredients; gradually bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding more salt if necessary. Remove pan from heat.
Preheat oven to 400F. Make topping: In medium bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make well in center of dry ingredients. Add water and oil to well and stir until blended. Let batter stand 2 minutes. Pour batter over chili and spread evenly (it will be thin).
Bake until topping is cooked through and chili is bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before serving.

Beelady, the amounts of liquid and oil are missing from the topping recipe . . .

(I was just checking this thread to see if there was something I could whip up for Xmas dinner this afternoon at the in-laws'.)

Posts: 3833 | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
How strange...I took it from the website...just checked my recipe file..sorry it is now past Xmas Frowner

3/4 cup water and 2 tbsp veg oil for the topping...are listed in the general ingredient list...weird..Looks like the lumped it all together...in any case, 3/4 cup of water and tbsp of oil are needed for the topping.

Thanks for the heads up, PA

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Piano Again
posted Hide Post
I figured that's what it was, but wasn't sure. That's okay -- I decided against cornbread because the in-laws always have some (Granny's skillet recipe). I made a gratin of eggplant layered with onions braised with fennel seed, diced tomatoes, sliced artichoke hearts, garlic, and pinto beans, drizzled with olive oil and topped with bread crumbs. Mr. PA and I were the only ones who ate it, but it was pretty good! The previously vegetarian niece had a big hunk of roast beef and didn't touch this stuff. Ah, well.

Posts: 3833 | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of musicasacra
posted Hide Post
Here's a vegan chili recipe I make occasionally. Here it's called a 'stew' but with the cumin my mind thinks 'beef chili.' I serve it just like I do beef chili, with some shredded cheddar. Very hearty. I think I use a little more liquid than the recipe states, I put some beer in it too, and cook it until the green beans are done.

Think of it as chili and add whatever chiles or spice you normally like.

Three bean, tomato and spinach stew.
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/rec...ato-and-spinach-stew
Serves 4
Easily doubled

Preparation and cooking times
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins

1 large onion , finely chopped
1-2 garlic cloves , crushed
olive oil
1.0 tbsp ground cumin
400.0g tin chopped tomatoes
200.0g tin kidney beans , rinsed and drained
200.0g tin cannellini beans , rinsed and drained
100.0g green beans , chopped
100.0g spinach , washed and roughly chopped

Cook the onion and garlic in a little olive oil until softened. Add the cumin and cook for a minute. Tip in the tomatoes, plus a cup of water and simmer for 10 minutes, until thickened.
Add all the beans and cook for 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook for another 5. Serve with crusty brown bread.

Per serving
153 kcalories, protein 8.5g, carbohydrate 21.0g, fat 4.5 g, saturated fat 0.5g, fibre 6.6g, salt 0.95 g

Posts: 2659 | Registered: 02 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Just a side note, as somewhere here one or two people have mentioned the combining of, say, beans and grain in one dish or one meal in order to achieve a "complete protein." This was put forth in the 70's book "Diet for a Small Planet," and is still widely believed, but according to what I've read it's been proven completely false. In other words, one need not worry about it.

Which is not to say that we can't enormously enjoy our satisfying "combinatorial" feasts! Smiler

Posts: 13802 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of musicasacra
posted Hide Post
Another vegan or vegetarian if you opt for parmesan recipe that I make. Reminds me of my mom's Spanish rice.

Oven-Baked Red Pepper Risotto
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/rec...d-red-pepper-risotto
An easy version of the Italian rice dish, with none of the stirring. The leftovers are great too

Serves 4
Preparation and cooking times
Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Vegetarian, Egg-free, Low-fat

1 tbsp oil
1 onion , chopped
300g risotto rice
100ml white wine (optional, or use more stock) <-- I use the wine
400g can chopped tomatoes
200g frozen roasted peppers <-- I use jarred
500ml vegetable stock
handful flat-leaf parsley , chopped
parmesan , to serve (optional)

Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Heat the oil in an ovenproof pan, then fry the onion for a few mins until softened. Turn up the heat, tip in the rice, stir, then fry for 1 min more. Pour in the wine, if using, stirring until absorbed, then pour in the tomatoes, peppers and 400ml of the stock. Cover and bake in the oven for 25 mins until the rice is tender and creamy.
Stir in the remaining stock and parsley, season and scatter with Parmesan, if you like.

PER SERVING
334 kcalories, protein 9g, carbohydrate 70g, fat 4 g, saturated fat 1g, fibre 0g, sugar 9g, salt 1.36 g

There's a tip on the website on using leftovers, basically make patties out of them and lightly fry them, we sometimes to do that, a bit messy, and top with a poached egg or serve with a mixed greens salad.

What Life?
Picture of musicasacra
posted Hide Post
Vegetarian pasta, with blue cheese. The roasted shallots are amazing.

Farfalle with Asparagus, Roasted Shallots and Blue Cheese
http://www.epicurious.com/reci...d-Blue-Cheese-103260
When tossed with the warm pasta, the blue cheese melts into a silky sauce.
Serves 6

1 1/2 pounds medium shallots (about 24), peeled, halved lengthwise
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs made from French bread
1 1/2 pounds farfalle (bow-tie) pasta
2 pounds thin asparagus, trimmed, cut diagonally into 11/2-inch pieces
1 pound creamy blue cheese (such as Saga blue or Gorgonzola), cut into 1/2-inch pieces

Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss shallots with 2 tablespoons oil on baking sheet; spread in single layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 35 minutes.
Stir 2 tablespoons oil and breadcrumbs in skillet over medium heat until crumbs brown, about 4 minutes. (Shallots and crumbs can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover separately; keep at room temperature.)
Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water 10 minutes. Add asparagus; cook until asparagus is crisp-tender and pasta is tender but still firm to bite, about 4 minutes. Drain pasta and asparagus. Transfer to large bowl. Immediately add blue cheese and shallots. Toss until cheese melts and pasta is well coated. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowls. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.