well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    March WTF-er of the Month: josh
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

March WTF-er of the Month: josh
 Login/Join

What Life?
Picture of musicasacra
posted
Hi

Following up on your previous post, are you getting the anticipated new iPad + iMac or the new MacBook Pro?

Posts: 2659 | Registered: 02 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of josh
posted Hide Post
Me!? Why, thank you!

My current thought is to use an ancient Mini for a while, along with an iPad soonish, then buy an iMac late summer-early fall. I'm directing an oral history/documentary project and while I don't have to be hands on in the first phase, after that I'd like to be able to edit video more easily.

Insurance complicates matters in that they pay a depreciated value for my MacBook, but if I actually replace it with 'not a betterment' in six months, they reimburse for the difference. We'll see.

Posts: 2519 | Registered: 21 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of musicasacra
posted Hide Post
What do you use for movie editing? iMovie, Final Cut . . . ?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
What piano music are you currently playing?

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of josh
posted Hide Post
I'll use iMovie at first and move that into Final Cut Express as needed. (I've never used any of these things before, but it's a pretty low-tech project. I'll post more about it soonly.)

Watched a liveblog of the iPad 2 reveal and I can safely say that a white one with camel leather cover will be heading my way.

What Life?
Picture of josh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
What piano music are you currently playing?

Oh, my poor piano. Plopped on an outside wall of the dining room and piled high with serving bowls and new IKEA dishes. Untuned and mostly unplayed.

This summer it will move upstairs to the (by then) freshly painted guest room, enjoy a service trip or two, and start getting a little more action.

As for what I play, have I confessed here that I can barely read? Almost everything I play is my own doodling.

What Life?
Picture of musicasacra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by josh:
I'll use iMovie at first and move that into Final Cut Express as needed. (I've never used any of these things before, but it's a pretty low-tech project. I'll post more about it soonly.)

Watched a liveblog of the iPad 2 reveal and I can safely say that a white one with camel leather cover will be heading my way.

Yes, I'm interested in hearing more about your docu project.

We're going to film some short talk studio pieces and some on-location architecture tours. I'll use iMovie to edit. My first time at this.

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for what I play, have I confessed here that I can barely read? Almost everything I play is my own doodling.

What do you doodle? Pop, jazz, classicle, oldies but goodies?

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
So, now that you have this new house, are you planning to put in a vegetable garden this year?

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Refresh me - weren't you looing at buying an older place? Is that what you ended up with?

Pictures?

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
What's your favorite season, and why?

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of josh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by musicasacra:

Yes, I'm interested in hearing more about your docu project.

Luckily I can point you to an article in the local gay newspaper (a labor of love, I'm sure) about it (bottom of the front page) http://www.scribd.com/full/500...-joa7mkfksbhqwregj92

[Moderators, I realize that link contains lots of my personal information and I'm not worried about that.]

What Life?
Picture of josh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilylady:
quote:

What do you doodle? Pop, jazz, classicle, oldies but goodies?

Pop I guess. I am starting to think I should admit that I'm really more of a singer, and push myself to do things with that and allow the playing to follow instead of lead...

What Life?
Picture of josh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt G.:
So, now that you have this new house, are you planning to put in a vegetable garden this year?

Oh yes. There is much planting to be done!

Last night I started lots of seeds (too many?) -- lavender, rosemary, three kinds of tomatoes, a little bit of basil to hopefully get an early crop. Bought other seeds to start outside: zucchini, collards (they wanted to grow on my little balcony, they really did!) and onion bulbs.

Last year we mostly moved dirt around. When we bought the house, there was a huge non-composting leaf pile that we dispersed into future beds. We built an 8x10 compost pile and added an auxiliary leaf composting pile (about 5x10) in the fall. So there should be at least some useful things coming from those this year.

Not much sunny area in this yard (hence all the leaves) so if you're looking for my house, it might be the one with the tomato plants in the front yard.

What Life?
Picture of josh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Refresh me - weren't you looing at buying an older place? Is that what you ended up with?

Pictures?

We bought it! And so far we've been very lucky with a 90-year-old house in that I haven't had to ask you 347 questions about various system failures.

The biggest drama was the hardwood floors we decided to have refinished before moving in. We hired a good company (we'd used them a lot at work, and I had just used them to redo the floors at my condo) but got a bad crew.

The order was simple: refinish all the floors in the house except two rooms, and match the refinished floors to the two existing. That didn't work out so well, so there are several layers of tinted poly which sort of make things look right. And after two extra weeks of work, they agreed to half off the original bid.

Still really glad we did the floors before moving in, even if areas of uneven tone catch my eye at least once a day.

Next projects will mostly be about painting and furnishing.

Pictures before we bought it (I haven't taken many since we moved in): https://picasaweb.google.com/w...haps?feat=directlink