well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    November WTFer of the Month - Nina
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

November WTFer of the Month - Nina
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Big Grin that's not really my bra size....

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Is the at-home Ninette still at the same high school right down the street from my stepmother in her retirement community? How's the transition been for him?

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Groupie
Picture of Grotriman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I've listened to Poulenc but never played anything--at least, not that I recall. Can you recommend something "entry level"?

How about "Mouvement Perpetuel"? A great piece. Last movement more difficult but playable.

Posts: 874 | Location: New York City | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Groupie
Picture of Grotriman
posted Hide Post
What kind of piano are you playing?

Posts: 874 | Location: New York City | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
Three kangaroos enter a bar and order drinks. The first kangaroo orders a Harvey Wallbanger. (He's a bit of a 70's holdout.) The second kangaroo orders a pint of Foster's and a shot of Bushmills. (She has some nostalgia issues.)

What did the third kangaroo order?

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Groupie
Picture of Grotriman
posted Hide Post
So a Woodpecker walks into a bar and asks "is the bar tender here?"

Forum Groupie
Picture of Grotriman
posted Hide Post
Oh Nina....

Did you up and leave the country?

Are you on a tropical island with no internet?

Sounds like something you need to share...

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Beatles or Rolling Stones?

Talking Heads or Neil Diamond?

Cherry Garcia or Health Bar Crunch?

jf

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Groupie
Picture of Grotriman
posted Hide Post
NINA!!!

The wtfer is MANDATED to answer these posts!!!

Just ask Kluurs!

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Ack!!

I've been in Arizona doing holiday concerts. One more tonight and then I'm back to the northwet. It's been cold here in AZ, and I'd just like to register a formal complaint.

Anyhoo-- rf, I don't remember that your stepmom lived anywhere near LO and/or my kid's high school. But he's still at the same school so unless your stepmom has moved, then I guess they are still nearby.

I'm currently playing an M&H upright--a real beast. It's a bit more under control now that it's on carpeting but it's a big, loud, brash piano. Completely opposite from the Pleyel (which I just traded in AZ Frowner ). But having it's been pretty good for my playing which can be, at times, somewhat tentative. Or so they say. There ain't no way you're gonna sound at all tentative on that big M&H studio upright.

I will check out the Poulenc!

I gotta go with the Beatles if I'm forced to choose. But honestly, it's a bit like Sophie's Choice to have to pick one. No question about Talking Heads. One of the things Mr. Nina and I bonded over was our dislike of Neil Diamond. Finally, health bar crunch, no question. I'm generally not a big fan of, um, "overworked" fruit. I love berries and cherries but far prefer them fresh in a bowl as opposed to mixed up in something else. But in truth, I'm not much of an ice cream snob and it's very rare that I have anything more spiffy than Breyers or Blue Bunny in my freezer. Ben & Jerry's is a big splurge.

It's now well into December, so I figure I need to select a new victim candidate for WTFer of the month. Stay tuned....

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Groupie
Picture of Grotriman
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's now well into December, so I figure I need to select a new victim candidate for WTFer of the month. Stay tuned....

Oh not so fast you little pretty! We have far more questions to go and far more for you to answer to!

Where did you get a Pleyel here in the US? (Was it the grand model that Altenburg was selling for a while? Or was it an upright too?)

If you need to have an upright - you should check out the Bechsteins. They are sounding very nicely these days. You just need $25K or so to pull it off.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I got my Pleyel (studio upright) in AZ from a dealer (AZPiano) who actually was carrying them at the time -- around 2000. At the time he had a Pleyel 190 that he was willing to sell for, IIRC, about $19K. I still think of that one as "the one that got away." It just wasn't in the cards (or the budget) at the time.

I've never seen an upright Bechstein. I've played a few of their grands and thought they were great, though my socks weren't blown off. The pianos that stick in my mind in the sock blowing category are the August Forster and the Shigeru Kawai. I'd be happy with either one, so if you have an extra lying around, feel free to send it out! Smiler

I picked up one of those template thingies at the piano store a few weeks ago. My hope is to get a grand, but the template will help me figure out what size. (I doubt I could afford a Bechstein grand... HairRaising).

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I regret not buying a Bechstein upright. It
played beautifully. It also had some very modern
decorating touches that caused it to be very marked down.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post