well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    I nominate AdagioM for the WTF'er! (October 2010)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I nominate AdagioM for the WTF'er! (October 2010)
 Login/Join

Chatty Kathy
Beatification Candidate
Picture of teachum
posted
I guess the moderators have to make it official and sticky?

Posts: 8032 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
That was the quickest 24 hours ever!

Congrats, AdagioM!

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Excellent choice!

I'll start....

What got you started in blogging?

How long have you been knitting?

And what does ginger beer REALLY taste like?

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I'm curious about how your singing group got started.

And what type of music do you usually play on your piano? Do you compose songs on it as well as the guitar?

Are you studying/have you studied with a teacher?

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Thank you (I think) to Teachum for this honor.

BeeLady: I started blogging a couple years ago after joining Ravelry. I needed a home page so I could post knitting patterns, and I was completely frustrated by my Comcast homepage. Every time I wanted to make a change to it, I pretty much had to rebuild the whole thing. The more I blogged, the more I liked it! I try to put up a new blog post twice a week or so.

The cool thing about it is that this year I was asked to blog for a local company that imports knitting needles and accessories (bags, baskets, etc) from Vietnam, because of my blog. It's a nice side job. I try to post there a couple times a week, too.

I've been knitting since I was 15. I spent the summer at my aunt's home in CA. (I think she taught me before that, but knitting was pretty sporadic.) My first project was a blue wool turtleneck pullover with cables, in the round. My aunt never checks her gauge (it will fit *someone*), so I didn't, either. The sweater was too big for the fashion of the time (would have been fine later), so after a while I intentionally felted it. It was then too short, and still wide. I wish I still had it; it would be a great teaching visual!

Ginger beer tastes like...ginger! Not alcoholic. A nice fizzy burrr on the tongue. And it's a little different each time, as theTeen adjusts his recipe, looking for that perfect brew. The first one was like a fizzy gingery lemonade. He's since changed the mix, trying pineapple juice (because one of his favorite commercial brews uses it), but it was too pineapple. Now he uses a combination of lemon juice and pear juice. I think.

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
LL, here's the history of my singing group: I started learning to play the guitar in 2003, with friend, because we were working with the youth at church, and somehow all youth workers should know how to play the guitar! We were soon joined by a friend who was learning to play the mandolin. For me, it's all about the singing; guitar is an accompaniment for the song. We sang/played a few times in church, and collected a few more singers/players along the way, but things kicked up a notch last year when we did the music for an entire worship service, and we've been playing in church about bi-monthly since then. None of us are A List singers or players, but we have a good time, and the congregation likes us. It's been especially gratifying this last year because we've been playing some original music; I've been writing lyrics for music that another player composes.

I just got back from a weekend retreat with the group; we had a great time and my fingers are tired! I played more this weekend than I did in all of September.

I don't compose music; I only write lyrics! I do use the piano to learn melodies for our new songs so I can write lyrics, and also to try to figure out harmonies for those songs. I don't play the piano a lot these days, and I'm not a quick sightreader, so when I do make it to the bench I generally resort to things I've played before.

On the piano: I like Mozart and other classical music, and I love adagios, maybe because I can't play faster than that! Granados is a favorite of mine, too. I started as an adult student in 1998 when the kids started, and had lessons for 8 or 9 years. My teacher moved away, and the next teacher wasn't *the one*, and I stopped taking lessons after that.

I was really lucky to attend Sonata piano camp from 2000 to 2007(?) and had a lot of good learning experiences there.

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
How do you like your Kindle? Do you have 3G and have you loaded all your knitting patterns on to it yet? Smiler

(I have my reasons for asking... Wink)

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
BeeLady, I love my new Kindle! Yes, it has 3G, although I think I would have been perfectly happy to have the wireless only option. The Kindle is great for reading while knitting; I don't have to prop the page open.

I don't think I can load my knitting patterns into it, can I? But I do have all my patterns in iBooks on my iPhone (I can store pdfs in iBooks).

For other people who have Kindles, do you have a light on yours? I read part of Mary Anna's new book on iPhone Kindle app in the middle of the night, because I didn't want to turn the lights on and I don't have a light on my Kindle.

"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
BeeLady, I love my new Kindle! Yes, it has 3G, although I think I would have been perfectly happy to have the wireless only option. The Kindle is great for reading while knitting; I don't have to prop the page open.

I don't think I can load my knitting patterns into it, can I? But I do have all my patterns in iBooks on my iPhone (I can store pdfs in iBooks).

For other people who have Kindles, do you have a light on yours? I read part of Mary Anna's new book on iPhone Kindle app in the middle of the night, because I didn't want to turn the lights on and I don't have a light on my Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Po...id=1286337002&sr=1-7

And my question: how did you and Mr. AdagioM meet?

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes you can! The new ones take PDF's, the real reason I am considering one.

Raverly thread on the subject

Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I keep forgetting to look at the top of the page for these threads...

So, AdagioM, how many WTF'ers have you met in person? Have you been able to continue to avoid Nina, now that she is so close?

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
quote:

Yes you can! The new ones take PDF's, the real reason I am considering one.

Raverly thread on the subject

I loaded up a pattern, and some of the text is funky (comes up in a different font). The chart looks good, and the pictures are good, too, but black and white.

Do you have a smartphone of any kind? I used to keep pdf's in my old smartphone. It was OK. Zooming sometimes would make things overlap, though. The pdf's are great in my iPhone. And I always have my phone with me, but not my Kindle.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
LL, I met Mr. AdagioM at the University of Oregon, freshman year. He lived in the dorm around the corner from mine, and we were both in the Honors College, so we had several classes together. We went out a few times that year, and became good friends, but we didn't start dating seriously until junior year.

We just celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary last month. He still makes me laugh every day. I think I'll keep him!

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Doug, so far I've met:

BeeLady
AdagioLady (who doesn't hang out here, but technically she's a WTF'er) but haven't met her sis teachum
pianojuggler
pique
sleepingcats (who doesn't hang out here any more)

I think that's all. I need to get out more!

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Oh! And I haven't met Nina yet. I think she's ignoring me...