well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    April WTF-er of the Month: susan dorris
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

April WTF-er of the Month: susan dorris
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Susan,
We expect pictures of your garden. There is no way to avoid this.
Of course you can wait until you have the pool/fountain in and some plants are blooming.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
susan you need to put a wtf piano party on your bucket list.

methinks i need to announce one in montana next summer and see who shows up!

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of susan dorris
posted Hide Post
Piqué,
I accept with enthusiasm your invitation to a WTF party at your house. What a treat! I can hardly wait.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Saint Louis, MO | Registered: 21 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
great!

not this summer, but next summer, 2012. we have to get the bathroom redone first. Smiler

mr. pique is embarrassed to have guests until then.

of course, i'm not; i have no shame. Wink

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of apple*
posted Hide Post
I'm making my boys pee outside to deter the deer.

ha ha

Posts: 4933 | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of susan dorris
posted Hide Post
I guess it's a good thing I don't have a problem with deer here.

I do have opossums and raccoons, and last night I saw my first armadillo here. They are extending their territory northward.

It's the %&$#@@* squirrels.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Saint Louis, MO | Registered: 21 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by susan dorris:
I guess it's a good thing I don't have a problem with deer here.

I do have opossums and raccoons, and last night I saw my first armadillo here. They are extending their territory northward.

It's the %&$#@@* squirrels.

Armadilloes? In St. Louis? Remember, there is a mandolin like instrument you can make from the shell. The one I heard in Moab was loud with nylon strings.
Charango
Have heard they are as good as possum when properly cooked.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of susan dorris
posted Hide Post
I don't seem to have a recipe for Charango....

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post

Gadfly
Picture of susan dorris
posted Hide Post
NOW you tell me....

What Life?
Picture of Nan W
posted Hide Post
Susan, this has been such an interesting thread. What a full life you have had so far! I don't have any questions -- I'm not a gardener except for my few roses, which don't get nearly the attention from me that they need. But I've enjoyed reading about your gardening efforts.

Posts: 2350 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of susan dorris
posted Hide Post
Gardening is just plain addictive. We had a rainless day here for a change, so I'll be pulling weeds and spreading mulch before I finish my first cup of coffee tomorrow morning. I took some time this evening to visit the home of a friend who is in charge of potting all the homegrown perennials for the Garden Club plant sale, which is next Saturday. I told myself that I was only going to plant trees and shrubs this year, but I will defy reason once again. There is a lovely Hosta "June" that I simply have to provide a home for. And ferns! I do love ferns.

In winter I paint portraits in oils, and botanicals in watercolor. The face of a person or the blossom of a flower are each different from all others. Fascinating.

And I do love horses. I have a Shire/Thoroughbred gelding who will soon be five years old. I have been training him "in hand", that is, from the ground, since last August, and am now starting to ride him.

I sing in a church choir, but my musical passion is opera, though my voice has sadly never been good enough for performance.

There is something in me that craves perfection. Music and painting attempt to satisfy that craving, but gardening frees me from it.

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I would love to see some of you paintings. Would you be willing to share?

Even if there is only today left for the month thingie, we'd enjoy them on a separate post!

June is one of my fav hostas. Crisp clean and refreshing!

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of susan dorris
posted Hide Post
I'm saving one of them to use if I am ever DOM.

I will post some if I can figure out how to do it. I can get them from my camera to the "My Pictures" folder on my computer, and then to an email, but to put them in a post have not the slightest idea.

And may I ask how one chooses the new WTF-er? Can it be someone who has done it before, but several years ago? I have several ideas....

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Generally someone who has never been gets suggested. There is a list of past members, I think over on the PINBLOCK section.
I regretfully ask NOT to be chosen.

As for pics. One needs a place to host the pic on the internet. I use photobucket (free). Once a picture has been uploaded there, there is an option underneath the picture, an image URL which gets cut and pasted into the message here.

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post