well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    February 2010 - WTF-er of the month .... Markb!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

February 2010 - WTF-er of the month .... Markb!
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
Who's the bestselling author that has ever played the Grand Spinet?

Who is the best garden designer that has ever played the Grand Spinet?

ROTFLMAO

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member SIPC
Minor Deity
Picture of markb
posted Hide Post
I finally dug my computer out of a snowbank, immediately checked WTF to see what I've missed, and I discovered that I'm the WTFer of the month.

Naturally, my initial reaction was, "Oh sure, I get the short month." Thanks, Rich.

As most of the past week has consisted of shoveling, eating, sleeping, and trying to get some work done (no, really), I'll have to briefly defer responding to your questions until things settle down a bit. I have to go shovel the driveway now for the third time since last night.

In the meantime, Doug will be more than happy to answer your questions on my behalf. I'll be sure to make any revisions, additions, or corrections later.

Posts: 14230 | Location: Merry Land | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I guess we can get a few of the questions answered while Mark is busy:

WTF Question: "Tell us about your most recent arrest"

Markb Answer: "It was a case of mistaken identity - I thought that policewoman was a hooker..."

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:

I feel pretty comfortable answering this one for Mark also.

"MA, you won the bestselling author round, but the all around winner will be decided by the swimsuit competition"

Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilylady:

ROTFLMAO

I feel pretty comfortable answering this one for Mark also.

"LL, you won the garden designer round, but the all around winner will be decided by the swimsuit competition"

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
LL and I both swim in those early 20th-century neck-to-ankles longsleeved woolen knit bathing suits. I trust that you gentlemen will be suitably complimentary when we parade around in them.

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rich galassini:
For this month... I choose.....

I have the first question. When did you first gain an interest in piano? Did you play as a child or is this something you took up as an adult?

Again, on behalf of Markb:

"actually, I still play as a child..."

Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
LL and I both swim in those early 20th-century neck-to-ankles longsleeved woolen knit bathing suits. I trust that you gentlemen will be suitably complimentary when we parade around in them.

Oh yes. Are the ankles shapely?

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Yes, both Lilylady and I have ankles that have shapes.

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
How much do you pay Doug to be your stand-in?

Is that in donuts?

Is the swimsuit competition scheduled for the WTF 5th Anniversary reunion?

Big Al

Posts: 7397 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Do you always buy your parole officer lunch or was that a special occasion?

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:

Again, on behalf of Mark:

"I think about $1000 a day should be about right".

Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
Uh, Markb, I withdraw the flippant questions about the weather until we hear that you, your family and your house are all right. The news makes it look pretty bad.

Member SIPC
Minor Deity
Picture of markb
posted Hide Post
First of all, how about a big round of applause for Doug, who filled in for me a the last minute? He was great, wasn't he? In fact, anything I write now will be a big letdown. But hey, you asked for it.

quote:
I have the first question. When did you first gain an interest in piano? Did you play as a child or is this something you took up as an adult?

My parents forced me to take piano lessons in third grade, despite my having no interest in it. The deal was to take the one year, and I could quit after that. Despite doing pretty well, I really disliked piano and quit after third grade. However, I chose to play clarinet from fourth through eleventh grades.

In my senior year of high school, I started taking drum lessons and played throughout college and for a few years after that. I really enjoyed it and played in a few bands, but I very reluctantly quit due to my tinnitus getting louder despite using hearing protection.

After that, I took piano lessons for about a year before Thing 1 was born, and I took another year-plus a few years ago. I found that I have no time to consistently and sufficiently practice for lessons, so I've noodled around with some DVDs and books that I've found to be pretty good. My hope is just to not lose too much of what I've learned thus far, so that if I ever do get some free time, I can pick it up again.

quote:
Markb - Are you now, or have you ever been, a communist?

Yes. In my junior year of college, I shared a house with four other people. We shared housekeeping duties, food, food shopping, etc. In my senior year, I shared a different house, this time with four other guys. There were no housekeeping duties, and we bought and consumed our own food. Much better arrangement.

quote:
Besides you...who here makes you laugh the most?

Besides me? Hmmmmm.....

quote:
Do you look at the list of past WTF'ers, and think, "Oh wow, I'm the 39th most popular member of the forum?"

That high?

quote:
Have you grown up and why not?

No, because I don't want to die. Yet.

quote:
Been camping with any squealing girl scout recently?

Hey, she told me she was 18!

Actually, we have two camping trips in May, one with Juniors (to Lincoln Caverns in PA) and the other to Dutch Wonderland, also in PA--something about other troops from MD and PA (among others) at a campground close to the park.

quote:
Mark - Done any Improv lately?

Sure, last night at class. Last week's performance was snowed out. Tomorrow's performance looks like it's a go. Anyone here coming?

quote:
Two more questions:
1) Do you even know that you are WTF'er of the month yet?
2) How's the weather back there, nice?

1. Yeah, sorry for the delay.

2. Much better now. Looks like a possibility of a few more inches on Sunday and Monday.

quote:
How's the biking going?

What did you have for dinner last night?

And yes, I'm going to tackle that elephant in the room, how the heck did you land your fantastic piano?

Every year I say I'm going to get some cold-weather biking gear, but I never do. So I guess the answer is, "Not so great." I'm looking forward to some warmer weather and some longer rides.

Last night? I had to rush out to improv after coming back from my mom's, so I made steak for Mrs. Markb and Thing 2, warmed up some canned corn for Thing 3, and Thing 1 had leftover pizza. I finished up the pizza when I got back from improv.

Believe it or not, I acquired the Grand Spinet for the cost of a U-Haul and pizza for the two friends who helped me schlep it from my aunt's house in Baltimore. It was sitting unused in her basement. My cousins had played it when they were kids, but it was pretty much abandoned after that and was relegated to the basement after my aunt and uncle divorced and she moved.

quote:
Why are you avoiding Nina? Is it the rumors of her halitosis? Are you scared that you won't be able to keep up with her fabulosity? Will the universe implode if the two of you come within 100 yards of each other?

I'm not avoiding her. She lives about 15,000 miles away in the middle of a barren desert is all.

Halitosis? Really?

quote:

I still can't believe that a bestselling author (Mary Anna) and highly-skilled pianist played the Grand Spinet. My friends think I'm lying. My life's biggest regret thus far is having failed to take pictures.

You think maybe I only dreamed it?

quote:

That spot remains to be filled. Any takers? You know, I almost had a world-famous former SEC regulator play the Grand. He wouldn't but at least his delightful daughter did.

quote:

My gratitude is sufficient.

quote:
Do you always buy your parole officer lunch or was that a special occasion?

Yes. I mean no. Hey, that's a leading question!

Posts: 14230 | Location: Merry Land | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That spot remains to be filled. Any takers? You know, I almost had a world-famous former SEC regulator play the Grand. He wouldn't but at least his delightful daughter did.

Did you forget that moi did visit Harl's Pianos?

Or was I not the best GD?
(she says with hands on her hips)

While I am here...

Is your wife as quick humored as you?

What do you do in 'real' life?

Is the improv thing real? Do you really go to comedian show and tells?

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post