well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    March 2010 WTFer o' the Month - QuirtEvans
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

March 2010 WTFer o' the Month - QuirtEvans
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I see that you've told us your favorite classical composers, but I'm wondering what kind of piano music you like to play. Because I know from personal experience that the stuff I like to listen to is not always playable by the likes of me. And, though it's shocking to contemplate here, some people actually play music that isn't classical...

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I'm a raw beginner. Really raw. Really, really raw.

And I don't play classical at all, much to my teacher's dismay. That's the advantage of being an adult ... I tell her what I'm going to play, and she sighs, and says, "oh, all right".

So it's pretty much all show tunes, Beatles, and the like. I'm working on something from Wicked right now. (So is one of the Quirtlets, and she is MUCH better at it than I am.)

For the next piano party, I think the piano playing Quirtlet will be ready to be the accompanist for her sister on a couple of songs. I'm looking forward to that. Smiler

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
And it is time QE that we heard your debut!

Big Grin

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's one of the perks of being an adult student. The teacher knows you're paying for it yourself, so your learning experience should really be tailored to what you want.

Do you ever accompany or play piano duets with either Quirtlet? Playing music together is such a nice experience, and pianists really benefit from the opportunity to play with others. We often find that our rhythmic sense is...unique...

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:

Do you ever accompany or play piano duets with either Quirtlet?

No.

I've told this story before. About three years ago, our piano teacher (the Quirtlets and I all use the same teacher) asked me whether I wanted to perform a duet with the Quirtlet-who-still-takes-piano in the recital.

"No thanks," I said. "Besides, she's much better than I am."

(Thinking the teacher would say something like, "Oh no, not at all," or something similarly encouraging.)

Instead, I got "Don't worry, we can compensate for that."

This was when the child was 8.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
My father came from a rural Southern family and he was the first man in that family to go to college. When he finished college, he took an entry-level job with a big chemical company and rose quickly to plant manager, then refused further promotions because he wanted his children to grow up in the small quiet college town where he was reared. His job took him occasionally to cities like Oakland and New Orleans and Gary, Indiana, and no earthly power could have forced him to live in any of those places.

He could put on a suit and fly to meetings at corporate headquarters in California and his business sense was always respected, but the other executives never quite knew what to make of his Mississippi accent. I'm sure that they never suspected that the primary purpose of his homespun stories was to baffle the over-serious careerists.

Anyway, my point--and I do have one--is that he had a stock answer when the conversation turned to his daughters. He would nod sagely when people said nice things about us, then he would say sagely, "You know, when you want to build up a herd of cattle, you can use any old scrub cows. Don't matter much. But the first thing you do when you go to build your herd is this: you get yourself a top-quality bull."

So there you go--even when one of the Quirtlets outdoes you, you can still take full credit!

My father, looking down from heaven, says, "You're welcome."

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
What kind of piano do you have?

What did you decide to do concerning your relative’s legal problem? Are you going to take it on yourself or tell him to find another attorney? (For WTF forum members who're wondering what I’m talking about and don’t venture “over there”: This was a TNCR topic a few weeks ago).

Posts: 1410 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
What kind of piano do you have?

I have a Charles Walter upright.

quote:
What did you decide to do concerning your relative’s legal problem? Are you going to take it on yourself or tell him to find another attorney?

She hasn't sent me anything yet, so I haven't been forced to make a decision.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
One question before the month is done...

Do you enjoy arguing or is it a compulsion?

Big Al

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
With this talk of Jon and EH changing professions and with my 3 experienced, I was wondering, if you were do to something else, what might that be?

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilylady:
With this talk of Jon and EH changing professions and with my 3 experienced, I was wondering, if you were do to something else, what might that be?

Teaching has been on my radar for a long time. As has psychotherapist. Several people have suggested that I'd be good at that. In fact, sometimes, it seems as if it's part of my legal job.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
One question before the month is done...

Do you enjoy arguing or is it a compulsion?

Big Al

If you're going to do it, you might as well enjoy it. Smiler

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Our last minute get to know ya's....

It seems you work at home a lot...do you enjoy that rather than going into an office?

How many hours a week do you put into piano practice/playing?

Are you interested in art? If so, what kind?

Do the Quirtlets cook/bake with you?

Do you already have a list of questions for their future dates? Wink

Do you clothes shop with them or how does that work as a Dad with girls? (I have very fond memories with my 'divorced' Dad - we did so much together in the little time we had)

Do they have an allowance?

BTW, I think that they are very special young ladies and lucky to have you as their Dad!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilylady:

It seems you work at home a lot...do you enjoy that rather than going into an office?

I enjoy not having to commute. I enjoy being here for the girls. I enjoy being able to do what I want, when I want. I miss the workplace flow.

quote:
How many hours a week do you put into piano practice/playing?

Really, no more than two, which is why I am a rank beginner. Really, just a dabbler. The one Quirtlet is the one with talent on the piano. (And the other is excellent at guitar.)

quote:
Are you interested in art? If so, what kind?

Interested, in a "it's pretty to look at but I have no talent at it whatsoever" kind of way.

quote:
Do the Quirtlets cook/bake with you?

A little. One is far more interested in that process than the other.

quote:
Do you already have a list of questions for their future dates? Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjO9kX4npVY

quote:
Do you clothes shop with them or how does that work as a Dad with girls?

Yes, I do. They actually prefer to go with me than with their mother. I used to buy them things on my own, but now they have their own sense of style and prefer to choose their own clothing.

Also, every year for Christmas, their grandmother takes them on a shopping spree to buy clothing. They can twist her around their little fingers, and it's a way for them to spend time together.

quote:
Do they have an allowance?

Yes, but not from me. At one point, my ex made a decision to give them an allowance, without consulting me about it. Since I wasn't consulted, I choose not to participate. So she gives it to them, without my involvement.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Have you come to realize yet that you're going to lose our bet re financial reform?

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post