well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    March 2010 WTFer o' the Month - QuirtEvans
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

March 2010 WTFer o' the Month - QuirtEvans
 Login/Join

Member SIPC
Minor Deity
Picture of markb
posted
As of midnight tonight, your new WTFer of the Month, who gets 31 days of being so honored, is...

QUIRT!

Dude, come on down! Sit down under this blindingly bright light and start answering!

Where did you go to undergrad and law school?

Were you ever editor of the law review?

Name some of your favorite TV shows and movies.

Which one of the Quirtlets likes you more?

If you could pick another profession to try, what would it be?

Do you think financial regulatory reform will include the CPFA?

What do you think of securities industry SROs?
A. Extremely effective and efficient.
B. Invaluable for investor protection.
C They employ the best, brightest, and most qualified employees possible.
D. All of the above.

Posts: 14230 | Location: Merry Land | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
The first phrase that comes to mind is "If nominated, I will not serve". But I guess I have no choice. Many are called, but few are chosen.

Undergrad at Cornell. Law school at Penn. Business school at Wharton (which, honestly, I did not take seriously, and should have).

I was an editor of the Law Review. However, in our system, anyone who stayed on for the third year was given the title of editor.

Favorite TV shows and movies?

Television
The West Wing (except for the last season)
Scrubs
The Amazing Race
The Big Bang Theory
Dexter
Sports Night
Frasier
Glee

Movies
Doctor Zhivago (yes, that's why)
Casablanca
The Magnificent Seven
Gigi
His Girl Friday
Charade
It's a Wonderful Life
Guys and Dolls
Bringing Up Baby
The Princess Bride
The Tall Blond Man With One Black Shoe
Always
West Side Story

Which one of the Quirtlets likes me more? What makes you think that either one of them likes me?

If I could pick another profession ... does it have to be one I'd have a realistic chance of success at? Centerfield for the Yankees comes to mind. More seriously, I'd have liked to have been a teacher ... or a baseball coach ... or a sportswriter. Or a hedge fund manager, even if you fail at that, all you need is a year or two and then you can afford to try everything else. I've always thought I might take a stab at writing a novel, but I don't think I'm brave enough for that. Psychologist, maybe?

The CPFA? I don't think it will pass. It should, but it won't. Not enough momentum, and everyone in Congress is going to be running scared.

SROs? I've always thought they did a pretty good job. I think they do a better job of enforcing existing rules than dealing with paradigm shift, though.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have you burned those movies showing you .... well, you know....?

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Have you burned those movies showing you .... well, you know....?

Shh! You promised you wouldn't talk about that! I know it's the first of the month, but you'll have your payment by tomorrow, so keep quiet!

Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
What do you get as a present for the man who has everything?

Evil

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
If I recall you relocated to this area for your business and maybe something to do with your ex?

But why that particular town? Why not the coast?

Have you narrowed down where retirement might be after our suggestions?

When you vacation is the choice for the time, where the 'lets' might enjoy?

Have you thought about the dating scenerio yet?

Are you still taking piano lessons?

Have you yet explored the grand scene?

Did you ever frame one's composition yet?

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilylady:
If I recall you relocated to this area for your business and maybe something to do with your ex?

Nothing to do with my business. My ex and I were living in San Francisco. I was ready to change jobs, because my company had been acquired by a much larger company, which was itself then acquired by a much larger company, so my job was changing. During the divorce process, she was desperate to leave California. Her family is from Connecticut. My mother is from Connecticut. Her boyfriend lived in this area. She got a job that she could do in Framingham. We cut a deal to move to this area.

quote:
But why that particular town? Why not the coast?

My ex's new job, as I said, was in Framingham. As part of our agreement, I insisted that we live in the same town, to make it easy for us both to see the kids. We drew a circle around Framingham, within one hour's commute. We spent a week travelling around with real estate agents, looking at every town that had the things we wanted within that circle. This town had the right combination of good schools, reasonable prices, services for kids, dog friendly, and a commuter train to Boston.

quote:
Have you narrowed down where retirement might be after our suggestions?

I'm thinking about Maine more, and still thinking about Vermont and Washington State.

quote:
When you vacation is the choice for the time, where the 'lets' might enjoy?

Yes, for now, it's about the Quirtlets, but it's more about where I'd like to take them. I have a good sense of what they'd like. At this point, it all depends on how long the Quirtlets are happy to travel with me. I'd like to take them to Hawaii, to Europe, and to New Zealand/Australia. Of those three, when the Quirtlets no longer want to travel with me, I want to go to New Zealand.

quote:
Have you thought about the dating scenerio yet?

Yeah, but I compromised a lot during my relationship with the ex-Quirlfriend, and I'm not ready to make a new set of compromises yet. Which means I'm not ready for a relationship yet.

Plus, the longer I wait, the more time I'll have. The Quirtlets will soon be teenagers and will be looking to get rid of me.

quote:
Are you still taking piano lessons?

Yes, although I am still awful. But I don't give up. Smiler

quote:
Have you yet explored the grand scene?

Half-heartedly. The piano-playing Quirtlet is currently in chord-banging mode, and she doesn't really need a grand for that. In fact, at the moment, she's more enamored with our old Yamaha keyboard, because she can tote it around with her and do impromptu performances. She just wrote a song for one of her friend's birthday, and played it at the birthday party.

quote:
Did you ever frame one's composition yet?

Not yet. She has resisted putting notes to paper, but I have found the right combination of incentives, and she's working on it with her songwriting teacher.

The incentives were ... she wants to post her songs on the internet. So, with OT's advice, I acquired a Zoom H2, and a guy I know locally is going to do a seminar for a few of us on recording live music.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OperaTenor:

Evil

Chocolate covered bacon? Ole

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:

Evil

Be careful what you ask Quirt.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
What's your current golf index? What's the lowest it ever got? what's your favorite of the courses you've played on?

(I probably should also have asked "do you play golf?"...)

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
What's your current golf index? What's the lowest it ever got? what's your favorite of the courses you've played on?

(I probably should also have asked "do you play golf?"...)

Index? I think the index maxes out at 36, right? So call me a 36. Yeah, a 36.

What's the lowest it's ever gotten? It can get lower than that?

My favorite golf courses (only courses I've played, so no Augustas, no Pinehursts, etc.):

Number one, and nothing else is close, Pebble Beach.

Number two, the TPC Stadium course at PGA West.

Number three, the Plantation Course at Kapalua.

Number four, the North Course at the Boulders Resort.

Number five, the Woodstock Inn & Resort Golf Club in Woodstock, Vermont.

Number six, the Challenge at Manele, in Lanai.

Number seven, San Francisco Golf Club.

Number eight, Pasatiempo.

Number nine, Cypress Point.

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
favorite classical compositions?

Favorite pop musicians?

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
favorite classical compositions?

Let me mention favorite classical composers instead. I don't have a very discriminating palate. I like Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Copland, and Beethoven the best.

quote:
Favorite pop musicians?

Ah, here's where I get to invite public scorn and ridicule. I'm a country music fan. I like other stuff, too, but the country music is most likely to cause mocking and derision.

Here's a partial list:

George Strait
Terri Clark
Jim Croce
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Patty Loveless
Indigo Girls
Taylor Swift
Barenaked Ladies
James Taylor
Maroon 5
John Mellencamp
Brad Paisley
Phil Vassar
Sugarland
The Zac Brown Band
Sara Bareilles

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Had any dates lately?

jf

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:

Evil

Be careful what you ask Quirt.

What Chas said. Dude, help me out here. I have a 2.5 y-o debt of gratitude that's eating at my very soul...

Wink

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post