well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    wtf fifth anniversary reunion, may 29 - may 31, 2010
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

wtf fifth anniversary reunion, may 29 - may 31, 2010
 Login/Join

Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
This is the congingent of those 6 '4" tall or over!!! Big Grin

Big Al's solo:

Rich telling story. He is a very good storyteller. All that was missing was a campfire and marshmallows!!!

Me and Indrek (eat your heart out Apple!!!) ThumbsUp

Rach On! enjoyed the 9' Cunningham Concert Grand:

We had to make a pit stop at Macy's (formerly Wanamaker's) to get a pic of the sister console of Atlantic City's famed organ. Quite a set up -- three stories of pipe chambers too!!!

I think that's enough for tonight.

More tomorrow!!!

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Great pics!
I forgot the Wanamakers was in Philly. That must have been something to hear. Do they still give concerts there?

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
posted Hide Post
It looks like a great time was had by all.

Posts: 20891 | Registered: 23 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a great time I had! This was, as it was for Rich, a chance to meet with old friends, some of whom I had already met (Big John, Rach on!, jonnyc, Big Al, Bernard) and those who I got to meet for the very first time (Rich, Axtremus, Lisa, Piano Again, ftp, RealPlayer). They are all wonderfully talented, friendly, and are a delight to converse with, along with the equally engaging spouses who also attended.

I won't rehash all the other descriptions of the day's events, but want to thank three people in particular. First, the event's host, Rich, for providing a marvelous venue for the event, along with delicious food and drink and organizing an entertaining and informative program. A second, most sincere thanks to Axtremus who graciously took three of us (Big John, Rach on! and me) around the beautiful city of Philadelphia the morning of the party. Without his infectious energy we wouldn't have seen anywhere near as much cool stuff and gotten a real feel for the place.

Finally, a huge thank you to Big John for pestering me Wink relentlessly into making the trip, offering to drive to Philly and giving me a place to stay overnight (twice!) while making transportation connections.

To those of you were unable to attend, I wish you could have been there, too!

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Hey, let me continue the accolades by mentioning the great time I had too. It was great at last meeting some folks here I've wanted to meet (Big Al, Big John, Piano Again, Matt G., Rach On) and reconnecting with old friends jon-nyc, Bernard, Ax, and of course our energetic host Rich who really kept things moving!

Indrek Laul gave a passionate talk from the keyboard about Estonia's history, WW II and after, along with the piano company's development. He also played some lovely pieces by Estonian composers including Arvo Part.

Hugh Sung offered a Powerpoint presentation and a demonstration of his AirTurn paperless music reader, and talked about thoughtful applications of its highlighting techniques for other areas of learning.

After we all did some playing, on the Estonia and other pianos, we gathered for dinner at a wonderful Chinese restaurant Rich had suggested.

A few of us (Jon, Big John, Big Al, PA and spousal units) had breakfast downtown together Sunday morning.

Afterwards, since I still had time before my train, PA and husband Clay graciously drove me to the Phila. Museum of Art, which I'd never seen. What a place! I was marveling at the huge collection of French impressionists and Cubists, including many Picassos (Three Musicians, anyone?) And the most extensive Duchamp collection anywhere, probably. Lots of Eakins, who was a Phila. native. Also amazing Shaker furniture and early Americana. This museum is world-class, and worth a trip in itself.

All in all, quite a time! We WTF'ers are quite a bunch!

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
Was baby-nyc there too??

Posts: 7252 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
So who played what from our peanut gallery?

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
I got up early this morning to take matt to his train so he could get home. I then met up with some friends to go to a steam fair at a steam railroad museum about 30 miles from where I live.

An epic downpour hit in the middle of our outing, but we had fun anyway. On the way home, exhaustion from several days of less than 6 hours of sleep hit and I had a very difficult time getting the last 10 or so miles home, but when I finally got home I laid down and napped for 4 hours. The dog laid down on my head to signal that she had to go out, so I just took her out but am heading back to bed, so the additional prose and pics will have to take place tomorrow or wed.

But it WAS great fun and worth the drive!

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Hey there, just wanted to say how much I enjoyed meeting all of you and putting faces to names. Rich was an amazing host, and Indrek and Hugh were very enjoyable. I'm sorry I had to duck out early and didn't get a chance to say goodbye to most of you (I didn't want to interrupt the concert!), and also sorry that this post is so short -- my mother is having surgery tomorrow and I'm on my way out of town to be there. But I didn't want to go without saying thanks to Rich and to everyone who made the trek -- it was wonderful to meet you all!

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of kathyk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big John:
Our host's store was particularly enchanting. The former masonic lodge. I got into the lilies across the street to get the whole building to fit into the frame. Great space!!!

What a beautiful building! Sigh - one of these days I'll get there. Hearing Indrek play Part on an Estonia - what a sublime thing that must have been.

BJ, reunion with high school sweetheart? Eeker

Great pics and accounts everyone.

Posts: 11691 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Piano Again
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Rich, for hosting this party! It was a small but select group, and I enjoyed talking to everyone and hearing people play, as well as seeing Cunningham's. (I was very impressed by the Cunningham pianos, btw.)

Even though I was meeting some of you for the first time, I felt like I already knew you well.

I think Mr. PA enjoyed it also. (When he got bored, he just played with his iphone.)

Posts: 3833 | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
My wife and I had a great time for our entire stay in Philadelphia and have a big debt of gratitude to Rich, Indrek, Hugh, (and didn't fathertopianist have something to do with arrangements as well?). It was our first piano party away from home, but I hope it won't be the last. I have always been delighted to actually meet people who I feel I know through these forums. My only regret at a larger event is that there is not enough time to spend with everyone there. Ah, well. There's always tomorrow.

We had an interesting adventure leaving Cin Cin after dinner Saturday night. We turned on our GPS navigator, entered our hotel address, and set off. We proceeded in a generally southerly direction and generally down hill. At one point, we came to a fork in the street that the navigator gave no instructions for, so I continued down hill, thinking the Schuykill River was in that direction and eventually we'd come to it.

When we reached the bottom of the grade, we passed through a parking lot and by a building. The road became rougher and had park benches at frequent intervals alongside. We drove for what seemed like miles, passed under one bridge high overhead, and passed one small building (like a shed or shelter) until we finally emerged on Lincoln Drive near the river and I-76. I could not believe we had been so removed from apparent civilization until I reconstructed what we had done on Google Earth. The name on Google Earth for what I believe we traveled on was Forbidden Drive.

Apparently, we had entered a road (trail, bike path?) in Fairmount Park and drove on it through a large part of the park. That accounted for why we saw no houses, businesses, cars, or other people for that entire part of the trip. Our GPS was of no use because it kept searching for a route, but didn't recognize where we were as a road in its data base. We were actually relieved to see busy highways again. Reminded me of the old Grateful Dead line, "What a long, strange trip it's been."

I'll try to post some details and maybe pictures of our later adventures in the Philadelphia area soon.

Big Al

Posts: 7402 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
THanks to Rich for hosting!

It was great meeting so many new people and seeing old friends!

Elena - unfortunately baby-nyc didn't make it to the festivities. He and Rachel came down Sunday but we went right to my in-laws after I picked them up at the train station.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of musicasacra
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great time!

Indrek Laul, cool!

Posts: 2659 | Registered: 02 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as tall as PL
What Life?
posted Hide Post
Big Al!!

You drove Forbidden Drive?? You know they call it that for a reason! Smiler

I just wanted to say that I really, really wanted to stay later on Saturday night and I really, really wanted to spend more time with each and every one of you. It seemed like I got to chat a little with everybody and spend very little time with anybody!!

The group of WTF'ers is such an interesting group of people, all very bright and interesting to a person, and I know I will see you all again, where ever the next party is. Big Grin

One more thing - I know more pictures were taken - how about posting more?? (This means you Big John!)

Posts: 2679 | Location: Philly/South Jersey | Registered: 17 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post