well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
 Login/Join

What Life?
Picture of Muffin's sister
posted
I hope Big Grin.

happydance

I missed orientation and even though I went to orientation in July I still have to get there at 4:30 today. So SM will be coming up with me and SM Sr will pick him up and take him back home. Looks like we'll be doing that every Monday and Tuesday for this 6 week block! I start class at 4:45 and he gets off work at 4 (an hour away from home, school is in the middle ish, closer to his work).

happydance

Monday to Thursday I go to class 4:45 - 10:25 and Friday it's only 4:45-5:50! So I will be able to see my hubby a little bit on his "weekend" Smiler.

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Wow, you're a busy bee! Have fun.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Good luck, sweetie!!!!

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
Nice honeymoon. Smiler

Posts: 7252 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
I found out earlier today that I'm going to be thrown into the kitchen after my sanitation class today. HairRaising

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
When do you sleep!?

Congrats once again! And let us know how it goes!

I am getting fat just thinking about all the yummy things you will be making... WhoMe

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
Today was a nightmare. I almost cried many time in the kitchen but I managed to hold on until I got in the car Big Grin. The biscuits I did make were somewhere in the top 5 of 40+ people though. And all of them have had 18+ weeks of kitchen experience. I was just thrown at a station 30 minutes into the class and told to read the board where only a recipe was written in short hand that I had to figure out. HairRaising

Then I was told there's a quiz tomorrow on whatever they covered in class before I managed to arrive (thanks to all of the admin people that couldn't figure out where I was supposed to be) and to read 5 chapters for the quiz in a book I won't have until next week. I won't have any tools until next week either and couldn't find out if I'm allowed to bring tools from home or not. Or just keep meekly asking to borrow tools from the person stationed next to me like today. Ugh. he was a holier than thou jerk

I kind of just want to crawl under the covers and never go back.

But I'm too stubborn for that. So I'm going to haul SM up to school an hour early to try to get a copy of the text book from the library to study in the car until SM Sr comes to pick up SM and take him home.

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it will get better. Comfort

Just remember you are 'hiring' them to teach you not belittle you or make you uncomfortable.

The prof/chef is there to help you if you do not understand anything.

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muffin's sister:
I kind of just want to crawl under the covers and never go back.

But I'm too stubborn for that. So I'm going to haul SM up to school an hour early to try to get a copy of the text book from the library to study in the car until SM Sr comes to pick up SM and take him home.

That's my baby! You go, girl.

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yeah, don't let the holier than thou jerks get in the way, or the incompetent administrators, either!! You rock, Muffin's Sister! ThumbsUp

You're going to the SCC campus school? I have a friend who graduated from there about two years ago. I'm sure she'd love to talk with you about her experiences and give you some advice.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Yeah, don't let the holier than thou jerks get in the way, or the incompetent administrators, either!! You rock, Muffin's Sister! ThumbsUp

You're going to the SCC campus school? I have a friend who graduated from there about two years ago. I'm sure she'd love to talk with you about her experiences and give you some advice.

I'm going to SCI (the ridiculous Le Cordon Bleu school really close to SCC). Now I realize why maybe 1/3 of the students graduate. But I'd love any advice from anyone that's juggled a competitive/full-time-job-like school and a family. Our laundry from Florida still needs to be done Frowner.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
Can you get someone in to help you with SM a few hours every other day so you can get away and read or study or do laundry? Even a just a few hours a week without the little tyke after you to play with him is incredibly useful.

Any neighbors with kids who might do a kid-watching swap?

What LL said! First week is always a nightmare for pretty much any school, I can imagine even more so for you who has so much going on right now. It will get better!

Do not feel intimidated by anyone, let alone other people who don't really know what they are doing either (Mr. Mightier than Thou was learning too, was he not?)

Bring your own stuff, better to have it if you need it.

Posts: 7252 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about getting someone to watch SM but SM Sr is pretty against the idea. We have some good friends that live 20 minutes away (in the wrong direction of work/school) that are completely willing to help watch SM. I might take them up on it...

My bag is packed with half of the kitchen tools in my kitchen and i looked up the text book I'm missing online. I have a different text book written by the same guy that has chapters on similar topics to what's on the quiz today. So I studied those today and hoping there will be a copy of the book I need in the library when I get there tonight!

Trying to be headstrong and brave but I really really don't want to go to class and embarrass myself some more Frowner

"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Just remember, your biscuits were among the best. That's what cooking school is all about, anyway, right? Good taste!

You're behind the eightball right now, but you'll catch up.

When choochiefingers was an infant I had a woman come to the house 10 hours a week (I was there too--though I had to hide in the office) so I could job hunt. It made a big difference.

RF (whose biscuits unfavorably compare to hockey pucks)

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post