well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    Announcing the May 2010 WTF-er of the month....MarkJ!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Announcing the May 2010 WTF-er of the month....MarkJ!
 Login/Join

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted
Lots of good suggestions on my "any volunteers" thread, but I actually had Mark in mind since I was nominated and since I didn't get anyone who actually volunteered (as opposed to having been suggested), I'm going with my first instinct.

So Mark...I've always wondered how you feel about the income tax? Evil

OK, seriously:

1) You live in Wisconsin. Have you ever worn a hat shaped like a wedge of cheese? If so, I demand that you post photographic evidence immediately.

2) You were having some zoning issues or something a while back, right? I think they wanted to build condos on wetlands near your house or something? How did that all turn out?

3) Your daughter struggles with depression, right? How has she been doing lately?

4) How'd you get started photographing the stars?

Posts: 4403 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
When did you start playing the piano?(you play extraordinarily well).

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
What do you think of our present system of federal taxation?

jf, jk

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
OMG.

The income tax is slavery.

No I have never worn a hat shaped like a wedge of cheese.

I didn't have zoning issues. Some developers were trying to get the city council to break the law and I put a stop to it.

My daughter had severe symptoms of treatment resistant depression with severe suicidal thought patterns and behaviors for several years. We sought every treatment known to the human species and nothing seemed to help at all. We have finally found the root cause of all of it thanks to an excellent endocrinologist. I am happy to report that we now have our wonderful and talented daughter back from the brink of despair!

I will blame my early love of photography (actually went to college for a couple of years for it) and eBay. eBay? Yep! When eBay was first coming online I found it and my first ever TSO. (Telescope Shaped Object) that I purchased for $89.00. I saw Saturn for the first time in my life and I was hooked. I grew bored just looking at stuff and wanted to take photos so I started to learn how in the late 1990s.

I started playing piano about 19 years ago. 6 months before my first daughter was born. Had to teach myself how to read the left hand so I started out with LVB and moved on to Mozart. Self taught for the first 12 or so years. Started taking lessons a few years ago.

Our present system of federal taxation is foul.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Are you from Wisconsin originally, or did you move there?

If you could afford any car, past or present, what would you be driving?

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
...I will blame my early love of photography (actually went to college for a couple of years for it) and eBay. eBay? Yep! When eBay was first coming online I found it and my first ever TSO. (Telescope Shaped Object) that I purchased for $89.00. I saw Saturn for the first time in my life and I was hooked. I grew bored just looking at stuff and wanted to take photos so I started to learn how in the late 1990s...

While I agree with the excerpted parts about taxes (and your succinct point in another thread about "breaking the law"), I want to know if I can soon learn some pointers from you when I get my new scope in a week or so (er, after I figure out collimation, GPS synchronization, and the rest). I knew who you were long before we crossed paths at PW, because I frequented your website for all the beautiful fine photographs of things I only viewed in my primitive home-made scopes. Can I look forward here to some new pics this summer from your new scope?

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:

My daughter had severe symptoms of treatment resistant depression with severe suicidal thought patterns and behaviors for several years. We sought every treatment known to the human species and nothing seemed to help at all. We have finally found the root cause of all of it thanks to an excellent endocrinologist. I am happy to report that we now have our wonderful and talented daughter back from the brink of despair!

That's the best thing I've read in a LONG time! happydance

Without giving away any trade secrets, I know you have some sort of computer support business that you run. What kind of business is it?

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Mark, I'm glad to hear the good news about your daughter!

Ok, my question is: could you please tell us how you came to be interested in Mercedes-Benz.

And could you give a list (with pictures or pictures of the models) of the Mercedes you have owned.

Could you also tell us which models you might like to own in the future.

Thanks!

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
Are you from Wisconsin originally, or did you move there?

Born in Ohio, lived there for 8 years. Moved to Pennsylvania and lived there for 10 years. Moved to Wisconsin in 1980.

quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:If you could afford any car, past or present, what would you be driving?

Mercedes 540K.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChickGrand:
quote:
...I will blame my early love of photography (actually went to college for a couple of years for it) and eBay. eBay? Yep! When eBay was first coming online I found it and my first ever TSO. (Telescope Shaped Object) that I purchased for $89.00. I saw Saturn for the first time in my life and I was hooked. I grew bored just looking at stuff and wanted to take photos so I started to learn how in the late 1990s...

While I agree with the excerpted parts about taxes (and your succinct point in another thread about "breaking the law"), I want to know if I can soon learn some pointers from you when I get my new scope in a week or so (er, after I figure out collimation, GPS synchronization, and the rest). I knew who you were long before we crossed paths at PW, because I frequented your website for all the beautiful fine photographs of things I only viewed in my primitive home-made scopes. Can I look forward here to some new pics this summer from your new scope?

I would be happy to help anyway I can when you get started up with the new scope. Congrats!

More photos will happen I'm just not sure when I will have a block of time to dedicate to that activity.

Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
quote:

That's the best thing I've read in a LONG time! happydance

Yes it was one of the happiest days of my life when we got the call about the test results and then learned that there is proven treatment available.

quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Without giving away any trade secrets, I know you have some sort of computer support business that you run. What kind of business is it?

Custom software. Two of my longest customers are temporary employment agencies. Yes, I write payroll processing software. WhoMe

That fact is at the root of my hatred with the income tax. I have been dealing with it my entire adult life.

I also have a product that we lease to 9-1-1 dispatch and emergency operation centers. That software package is 15 years old and is going strong.

Yes, I lease a sofware package to the GASP! THE GOVERNMENT! Contrary to what some here believe about me, I know that there is a proper role for proper levels of government. Wink Emergency services represents a proper role of government IMO. I write software that makes the government more efficient, and effective in serving the public that pays for it.

Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
Mark, I'm glad to hear the good news about your daughter!

Thank you Daniel!

quote:
Ok, my question is: could you please tell us how you came to be interested in Mercedes-Benz.

I was about 18 or 19 when I attended my first Chicago Auto Show. I used to be quite obsessed about cars. When I sat in a Mercedes Benz for the first time it was like no other car I had ever experienced. The level of quality was and still is IMO light years ahead of anything else out there.

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:And you could give a a list (with pictures or pictures of the models) of the Mercedes you have owned.

I will. I am really tired right now... zzzzzzzzzz

quote:

Could you also tell us which models you might like to own in the future.

Thanks!

An SL, S-Class, The New E & C Class.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
If I had to write payroll software, I'm sure I'd hate the tax structure and all the associated crap as well. As it is, I have to query payroll data a fair amount and I HATE it. There are a jillion exceptions to everything, and everything has to be customized.

Barf.

Would you ever consider a BMW or Audi? Smiler

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I have owned both before.

I prefer Mercedes.

What Life?
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Can you tell us your political odyssey? I'm truly fascinated by the way in which one comes to your point of view (not so dissimilar from mine).

I'm also curious about your software career and the twists and turns of it (I'm sure there were some). I had a gentleman in the showroom last Friday who owned a software support company and it was amazing to hear of how he started in the computer industry - while in its infancy.

Also, now that I know you are a computer guy, I will always trust you without reservation regarding recommendations. I know - I'm putting a lot on your shoulders. Big Grin

Posts: 2466 | Registered: 04 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post