well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    December Member-of-the-Month...Piqaboo!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

December Member-of-the-Month...Piqaboo!
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
apparently minor differences take on huge importance so we can tell ourselves apart!

this is a very insightful comment. and isn't it funny how desperately people strive to show they are unique individuals when really all we are is matter and energy.

[edited] nevermind i see you did answer that question.

have you ever fancied living in another part of the world, and where would it be?

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
I know you've posted about how you and OT met, but it's been a while and I'm not sure everybody saw it. So could you refresh our memory?

The first time I met OT, he managed to put one of those 13EEEEs right into his mouth. Roll Eyes

When I returned from 2 years working in Miami, back to So Cal, I joined a choir that took a European tour every other year. I did it for the travel. I'll travel pretty near anywhere on any excuse, just to see some place I've not seen before.

The choir went to Spain, with two tenors total. Neither had a strong voice. Many comments were made among other choristers that 'it would be good if so & so were here". I have a lousy memory for proper names, so I can only surmise that OT was the so&so they were talking about. Wink

2 years later, we're preparing a tour to the Czech Republic, Austria, Germany & Italy. The director has moved rehearsal to 15 min earlier start, so after missing most of January altogether, I come in each night about 2 min late, in a mad dash, w no time to chat. Therefore, I do not know that someone is missing.

I have vague memories of folks talking about someone's horrible accident and I feel bad for that person but have no idea that it impacts the choir any more than any of the rest of us being missing (well, except for soprano extraordinaire "J". ). We have the same two tenors as last time.

Sometime in ?late May?, a man comes to rehearsal, draped across a statuesque red-head who's been attending regularly. Said man is swamped by wellwishers. Since I dont know him from Adam, I am not among them. I dont talk to strangers, you see. At end of rehearsal, that so&so introduces himself "Hi, I'm "OT", the tenor you probably heard about."

OK, any normal person in that choir heard about him and the accident and that we needed him because he could sing and we're thin on tenors. Me? Nope. And anything I did hear/remember is disconnected from a name. So, I give him an "Oh puh-lease!" look, shake his hand and move off.

And that is when I met OT. Smiler

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:

have you ever fancied living in another part of the world, and where would it be?

I'd love to live in Europe for year at least - one full round of seasons, holidays etc. Belgium or Germany felt comfortable when I visited, tho I have some issues w Germany.
Be fun to do a year in Germany, one in Italy, one in France, one in Spain.

Long term, I think I could live happily ever after in New Orleans. I love that city.

New Zealand would work well too. Oddly, i think i could manage small town life in NZ but not in the US.
Its because I think we could pass off my oddities as "she's a yank" in NZ, where in the US I'd just be "that weirdo".

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Well, after that story, Piq, we need to hear when he finally DID impress you!

Yes

Edit after reading another thread...

So, when did you finally 'snoooogle' him?

Blush

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilylady:
Well, after that story, Piq, we need to hear when he finally DID impress you!

OT strove to bring himself to my attention in a more positive light, as he tells me.

We started to get to know each other on the tour a bit. After one long bus ride, followed by a mess up in various folks' dinner plans that ended up w a delightful alfresco dinner in the rain for about 6 of us, we walked back to the hotel w everyone but needed to stretch our legs more, so spent a long evening walking thru the English Garden in Munich,in the rain, talking all sorts of nonsense and laughing our heads off.

When we returned to the US, he invited me for a motorcycle ride. I accepted which astonished me (I am not a trusting sort, and had been thoroughly parentally indoctrinated against motorcycles.) I further astonished myself by staying for the entire ride. Several times previously w othe riders, I had hopped off at an intersection and gone home by hook or crook.

I moved immediately upon returning from the tour and OT made himself very useful.
Actually, OT would not go away,finding all kinds of "reasons" to be around and it was rather awkward for a while,as I had a boyfriend already. Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by lilylady:Edit after reading another thread...

So, when did you finally 'snoooogle' him?

Blush

I didnt invent that word til after Altoid was born. so there. Razzer

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, OT would not go away,finding all kinds of "reasons" to be around and it was rather awkward for a while,as I had a boyfriend already.

love this detail. ya done good, piq. Wink

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Can you tell us about your family of origin? Any brothers and sisters? Aside from the jack o' lantern carving skill, what are your parents like?

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rustyfingers:
Can you tell us about your family of origin? Any brothers and sisters? Aside from the jack o' lantern carving skill, what are your parents like?

I will add more later, but not to ignore you now:
1 dad, 1 mom, 1 sister (younger), 1 BIL, 1 nephew (8 mo younger than Altoid), known on-line as JetFuel due to his initials.

Gotta run, kitchen table is buried under giftwrappping supplies which need to be used dn put away before herself awakes.

take care all y'all.

What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
Family of origin - family is smart, humor tends to deadpan and sarcastic, we dont handle frustration gracefully.
An engineer, a teacher, a 'recreationist' vendor (renn faires, society for creative anachronism wars etc).
One designs airplane bits, one teaches algebra to 8th graders (what do those kids do for math in highschool I wonder? Algebra was Jr year for us), one sews amazing costumes based on art of the period.
We all tend to accumulate 'stuff'.
We all change w age, in everything except our ability to be nice when we are frustrated. We have none of that ability.

My dad is quite conservative, esp re fiscal policy for govt. In other ways, not so much. He apparently had a childhood dream to be an architect. I think he'd have been excellent. He's creative, artistic and thoughtful about implications - "and what then" when problem solving.
When Altoid had a ponytail in her hair for the first time, she was so excited. She ran her little 2-yr old self about the house, shaking her head to feel the hair move, and said "I am so happy! Now I have a pony tail just like Grandpa!".

Extended family is in Australia and England. In England, its quite extensive but I never met most of it, just the immediate family of my folks, not their aunts, uncles, cousins.

What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
Righto - who has the list (or where is the list?) of past MotMs? Its about time to put someone else on pinned status.
thanks!

Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
Ask and ye shall receive:

quote:
January 2007 - Bongwater Q. Liberalstein
February 2007 - Cindysphinx
March 2007 - Doug
April 2007 rontuner
May 2007 - SAS
June 2007 - kluurs
July 2007 - Frycek
August 2007 - OperaTenor
September 2007 - Daniel
October 2007 - Pianolicious (USAPT)
November 2007 - CHAS
December 2007 - rustyfingers
January 2008 - Steve Miller
February 2008 - Matt G.
March 2008 - BeeLady
April 2008 - Muffin's sister
May 2008 - Nina
June 2008 - jodi
July 2008 - Copper
August 2008 - apple
September 2008 - Kenny
October 2008 - Bernard
November 2008 - big al
December 2008 - pianojuggler
January 2009 - Jeffrey
February 2009 - Rick Zimmer
March 2009 - Jack Frost and kathyk
April 2009 - RealPlayer
May 2009 - EHpianist
June 2009 - piqué
July 2009 - Qaanaaq-Liaaq
August 2009 - ShiroKuro
September 2009 - Beacon Chris
October 2009 - Bill_D
November 2009 - Mary Anna
December 2009 - piqaboo

Sweetie, the person I suggested is indeed not on the list, but also one other from the same city, and whom you've also met. Wink

Recently, no less.

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
And next up.....
The thread has been started. Happy hunting!