well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    January WTF-er of the month: JoeB
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January WTF-er of the month: JoeB
 Login/Join

Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
Should I ask my questions again?

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professional Cynic
Never Offline
Picture of JoeB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Should I ask my questions again?

No need to:
quote:
So, Joe, do I recall correctly that you live in the SF Bay area? Have you always lived there, and if not, whence do you hail?

Actually I live in the Sacrmento area (which from a distance might look like the bay area without a bay. I 'hail' from Philadelphia (a mile or 2 up Germantown Avenue from Cunninghams) but that was 50 years ago.

quote:
is your name really Joe (B...something), or do you just feel like your patience and faith is being tested?

My name really is Joe B.....

Posts: 976 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoeB:

I am a retired electronics engineer.

In that field, which/what was your proudest work, and why you deem that to be your proudest work? Any "unfinished" project/invention that you still hope you'd complete someday? Any particularly memorable design flaw or implementation mistake that you wish you can go back and fix?

quote:
When I bought a piano and started lessons a while ago I started haunting the Piano Forum ...
Still play the piano? What music do you play/sing mostly these day?

Assuming you are retired, what's "retirement" like for you? Is it like you've imagined before your retire?

And the most important question of all ...

How are you feeling? Recovering well?
Sure hope you are. Smiler

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professional Cynic
Never Offline
Picture of JoeB
posted Hide Post
quote:
In that field, which/what was your proudest work, and why you deem that to be your proudest work? Any "unfinished" project/invention that you still hope you'd complete someday? Any particularly memorable design flaw or implementation mistake that you wish you can go back and fix?

I completed a number of projects and, toward the end of my career, I did design an integrated circuit that is in use today. That was very fulfulling.

quote:
Still play the piano? What music do you play/sing mostly these day?

Yesw, I still play. I am mostly playing from fakebooks and trying to make it sound passable. I still go back to the Thomas books occasionally. I don't sing at all.

quote:
Assuming you are retired, what's "retirement" like for you? Is it like you've imagined before your retire?

Right now I'm more retired than I want to be. My plan was to start a business. I did, but the expected sales never materialized. I am trying to identify a new product and may try again.

I am recovering well. The staples are out and I should be 100% in a few more weeks.

Posts: 976 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
How's the recovery going?--oops, see that you just answered that. Are you in pain?

Do you have kids? If so, what flavors and what do you like to do with them?

What's your favorite book? Movie? Opera? Stage play?

Have any pets?

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professional Cynic
Never Offline
Picture of JoeB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rustyfingers:
How's the recovery going?--oops, see that you just answered that. Are you in pain?

Do you have kids? If so, what flavors and what do you like to do with them?

What's your favorite book? Movie? Opera? Stage play?

Have any pets?

No pain. The way things are going it will all just be a memory in 2 or 3 weeks.

Three kids, 2 boys, 1 girl. All grown up now and doing well on their own. Waiting for grandkids to spoil.

I like a lot of different books and, if I had to choose a 'favorite' then A Canticle for Liebowitz would be on the list, as well as several of the Heinlein Juveniles.

Movies: Dark City is always worth watching again. Opera: Some excerpts (Barcarolle from Tales of Hoffman, some of the intense choruses) but not really an opera fan. Stage Plays: I saw Fiddler on the Roof (very good) and several other plays recently at the Music Circus. Also the Broadway Series performance of Frost Nixon was fairly well done. I would like to see a good performance of Chicago (the movie is great),

Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
Paper, plastic, or do you carry a reusable shopping bag?

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professional Cynic
Never Offline
Picture of JoeB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OperaTenor:
Paper, plastic, or do you carry a reusable shopping bag?

Usually plastic. Reusable when forced. I think the environmental impact of plastic bags has been much exaggerated.

Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
How long have you been playing the piano? I see you play from fakebooks, so, do you think you've had a good theory background to make that easier, or does it "come natural" to you?

I like how you express yourself on the forum. You sound like one of those really direct guys that refuse to mince words. Do you think you're that way in real life, or is this more a mark of your online personality? (Hey, some people just hate typing!)

Would you describe yourself as outgoing or reserved?

If you had to spend an entire day there, would you prefer Yuba City or Stockton?

Which states have you lived in?

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professional Cynic
Never Offline
Picture of JoeB
posted Hide Post
quote:
How long have you been playing the piano? I see you play from fakebooks, so, do you think you've had a good theory background to make that easier, or does it "come natural" to you?

I have been playing for 10 years. I fooled around with organs and keyboards before but I took 3 or 4 years of weekly lessons starting in 2000. The piano doesn't come 'natural' to me but lately it does seem to be getting easier. My teacher did not neglect theory and I did get some grounding in it. I know enough about theory to know that there's a lot I don't know.

quote:
I like how you express yourself on the forum. You sound like one of those really direct guys that refuse to mince words. Do you think you're that way in real life, or is this more a mark of your online personality? (Hey, some people just hate typing!)

I was brought up on Strunk and White (AKA The Elements of Style) where the worship of brevity and directness resides. Some of it may have rubbed off.

quote:
Would you describe yourself as outgoing or reserved?

I'm pretty reserved in most situations. The exception would be in an engineering environment.

quote:
If you had to spend an entire day there, would you prefer Yuba City or Stockton?

Neither sounds like an ideal place to spend a day tourist style but if I had to choose, probably Yuba City (because I haven't spent much time there).

quote:
Pennsylvania, California, Idaho, and Ohio.

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
What little tidbit about yourself would you like to share with us that you might not normally start a thread about?

I know so little about you, I don't even know what to ask!

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professional Cynic
Never Offline
Picture of JoeB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilylady:
What little tidbit about yourself would you like to share with us that you might not normally start a thread about?

I know so little about you, I don't even know what to ask!

Well, let me think.

OK. I was expelled from pre-school for leading a revolution of 4 and 5 year olds. I actually remember jumping up on the top of a circular table and marching around the edge holding an Oreo cookie up in front of me. Many kids emulated me and the military industrial complex in charge of the preschool was threatened enough to expel me. Which is what I wanted all along.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
an insurrectionist! Big Grin

quote:
quote:

which did you like the best and why?

Posts: 21347 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professional Cynic
Never Offline
Picture of JoeB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
an insurrectionist! Big Grin

quote:
quote:

which did you like the best and why?

That's a difficult question. I would have to choose California because it is where I have lived the longest but each state has attributes that make it a good place to live.

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Now that January will soon draw to a close, a couple of "last questions" ...

1. How do you feel about being the "WTF-er of the month," now that you have experienced the spotlight?

2. Any questions about you that we haven't asked that you wish we had?

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post