well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    January WTF-er of the month: JoeB
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January WTF-er of the month: JoeB
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Joe,

Congratulations on your timely and successful surgery.
Thanks for being a good sport in this thread.
Happy new year, and best wishes for your continued recovery.

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
GET WELL SOON!!!

Glad you are out of the hospital.
(so we can bombard you with more questions)

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
joe,
i guess this thread is your booby prize for surviving the emergency surgery. enjoy! and get well soon!

i realize i know hardly anything about you. this probably speaks more to my ADD or inattentiveness than anything about your self-disclosure.

what is your profession?

what brought you to wtf?

tell us more about your interest in mathematics.

and yes, please do post a picture.

Posts: 21347 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member SIPC
Minor Deity
Picture of markb
posted Hide Post
markb wrote:
quote:
How did you wind up at WTF?

Do you play the piano? If so, what types of music do you like to play?

What's your day job?

pwned!

Posts: 14230 | Location: Merry Land | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
well, mark, we might need two of us on his case on this, doncha think? Wink

Posts: 21347 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Yes, we hope that you recover soon...

How did this happen? (no terribly gross details please...)

Evil

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professional Cynic
Never Offline
Picture of JoeB
posted Hide Post
quote:
what is your profession?

what brought you to wtf?

tell us more about your interest in mathematics.

I am a retired electronics engineer. When I bought a piano and started lessons a while ago I started haunting the Piano Forum and gradually transitioned to the Coffee Room crowd. Today, the Coffee Room Crowd is here at WTF and two other forums. I belong to all.

My interest in math is mostly due to it's usefullness as an engineering tool. Some math does have a transparency that illuminates physical principles very well. A 'real' mathemetician would sniff a little and mumble 'applied math' (as an epithet, of course).

Posts: 976 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professional Cynic
Never Offline
Picture of JoeB
posted Hide Post
quote:
How did this happen? (no terribly gross details please...)

Pretty simple. I was not feeling well for several days and attributed it to a severe upper respiratory tract infection. I had seen a doctor and finished a round of antibiotics but got to feeling worse. My wife dragged me into the emergency room (actually she managed to make me believe I was turning yellow) and several pretty good physicians managed to make the diagnosis and got the surgery done in the middle of the night. I suspect that between surgeons, surgical nurses, diagnostic inmaging technicians, and others I ruined quite a few New Years plans. I don't know if an actual cause can be attributed. Best I can guess is my gall bladder hit it's expiration date and expired.

Posts: 976 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
Wow, Joe, I just caught up with this thread. I'm so glad it wasn't worse for you, and wish you a speedy, trouble and pain-free recovery.

What kind of piano do you have? Too bad you don;t live in SoCal; I could recommend a good tuner...

And, in case I haven't made it clear earlier, I'm really glad you're a part of this forum, and that you're in this hot seat for the month. Smiler

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professional Cynic
Never Offline
Picture of JoeB
posted Hide Post
quote:
What kind of piano do you have? Too bad you don;t live in SoCal; I could recommend a good tuner...

I've got a 1921 5"6" Henry Miller grand that suits me well. I can play well enough now to amuse myself. What I need now is a very non-discriminating audience.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Joe, sorry to hear about your gall bladder but thrilled to hear you are recovering.

I'll come back to annoy you with a question after you've recovered a bit more.

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of musicasacra
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for a quick recovery!

Posts: 2659 | Registered: 02 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of apple*
posted Hide Post
i always fail to see the WTFer of the month thread..

Glad you survived your surgery and it's nice to know you Joe.

Posts: 4933 | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
Which piece of music would you nominate to be renamed "Ode to a Sick GallBladder"?

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professional Cynic
Never Offline
Picture of JoeB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which piece of music would you nominate to be renamed "Ode to a Sick GallBladder"?
Dies Irae (Verdi) would be a great choice.