well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    January 2010 WTFer-of-the-Month...Rich Galassini!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January 2010 WTFer-of-the-Month...Rich Galassini!
 Login/Join

Gadfly
Picture of apple*
posted Hide Post
omg

i sold encyclopedias!

Posts: 4933 | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
quote:
5) I have sung on the same stage with Luciano Pavarotti

oh my!

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as tall as PL
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apple*:
omg

i sold encyclopedias!

Really! Tell me about it, please. Was it a summer college thing? Did you know what the job was before the interview?

Posts: 2679 | Location: Philly/South Jersey | Registered: 17 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as tall as PL
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqaboo:
quote:
5) I have sung on the same stage with Luciano Pavarotti

oh my!

Well that might sound better than it actually was. At a performance of the Verdi Requiem in Philly he was the tenor soloist. I was in the choir. The "Ingemisco" was absolutely heavenly.

The man probably perspired enough to irragate a small farm that night. Wow!

Posts: 2679 | Location: Philly/South Jersey | Registered: 17 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of apple*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rich galassini:
quote:
Originally posted by apple*:
omg

i sold encyclopedias!

Did you know what the job was before the interview?

heh. no I didn't. I lasted about 5 weeks and figured the encyclopedias were definitely not worth what they were being sold for... a really bad business.

Not as tall as PL
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
heh. no I didn't. I lasted about 5 weeks and figured the encyclopedias were definitely not worth what they were being sold for... a really bad business.

I didn't either. I was not nearly as quick as you on the uptake though. I didn't figure out that they were overpriced until I was back at school.

I had fun though. Most days I was in rural Pennsylvania or New Jersey. Several times each week I would be invited for lunch or dinner with a family and sometimes I would take them up on it.

In general, I enjoy people so the social aspect of the job always appealed to me. I wouldn't do it again either though.

What Life?
Picture of Bill_D
posted Hide Post
Hi Rich,

I'm so glad to see you as WTFer of the Month this month... with one exception (Mr October... Ole )I think we had a good batch last year, and you are upholding the tradition in a fine way.

I'm sure you are following, when you can, the continuing series on Claire de Lune from Scratch by Hugh Sung over on PW (since he plays one of your pianos, I'm sure you know him).

As a trained pianist, what do you think of Mr. Sung's approach? Is it something you would recommend to a beginner?

Posts: 2515 | Location: San Francisco, California! | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of kathyk
posted Hide Post
Great thread. So, now for some more humdrum questions. How many kids? Ages? Tell us a little about your wife. I love your old profile picture at FB, btw.

Posts: 11691 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
È la tua famiglia Italiana dalla Romagna o dal Lazio?

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as tall as PL
What Life?
posted Hide Post
I apologize that I haven't kept up as I should with this thread. NAMM and obligations have kept me away for a bit, but Im back!

quote:
I'm sure you are following, when you can, the continuing series on Claire de Lune from Scratch by Hugh Sung over on PW (since he plays one of your pianos, I'm sure you know him).

As a trained pianist, what do you think of Mr. Sung's approach? Is it something you would recommend to a beginner?

First, I never tell a real pianist that I am a pianist. When Realplayer visits.... I DON'T PLAY!

But back to Hugh - he is looking to inspire, to give someone the springboard that launches them into real music. He does not pretend to replace having a teacher, but for the amatuer that wants to enjoy playing, this could be the perfect thing. It may also begin a lifelong romance!

I have no troubles with it.

Not as tall as PL
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kathyk:
Great thread. So, now for some more humdrum questions. How many kids? Ages? Tell us a little about your wife. I love your old profile picture at FB, btw.

I have one daughter who is 16. Until her freshman year in college she wanted to be a nurse or a doctor... then she got a part in the musical. She got bitten by the bug. Roll Eyes

We've chatted through all of the options including pursuing medicine in some form while enjoying the performing in a community setting. At this moment she is thinking of music/drama education.

My wife is my strongest supporter and my closest friend. She is not a musician, she was a political science major at Rutgers and was the briefing secretary for a NJ Governor. I don't know what she sees in me.

I think this must be the FB pic. you referred to - Its my very favorite:

Not as tall as PL
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt G.:
È la tua famiglia Italiana dalla Romagna o dal Lazio?

Actually my family is from Pievepelago in Modena, but all of the Galassinis are related Matt. The winemaker in Lazio, Tullio Galassini, is a distant cousin. I have had a few cases of his wine... and I long for more. Woot

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
What do you think of digital pianos? I noticed that Cunningham’s doesn’t carry any.

Posts: 1410 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as tall as PL
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Qaanaaq-Liaaq:
What do you think of digital pianos? I noticed that Cunningham’s doesn’t carry any.

Actually, we do not do a huge business with them but we do sell them. In fact we are installing a 31 unit digital piano lab at a music magnet school here in Philly.

Of course, one cannot ignore digital technology. We also have a totally original product based in this trechnology, The Cunningham Composer:

The Composer!

Check it out! Pretty cool stuff!

Gadfly
Picture of apple*
posted Hide Post
what is your favorite food?