well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    January 2010 WTFer-of-the-Month...Rich Galassini!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January 2010 WTFer-of-the-Month...Rich Galassini!
 Login/Join

What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted
Rich has graciously agreed to be grilled by us all, so my thanks, and welcome to our newest WTFMOM!

Rich, what made you choose to sell pianos for a living as opposed to 'getting a real job' as my mom would put it?

And what's up w Cunningham in the name of the store? Seems like there is history there.

Merry happy, and thanks again!

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as tall as PL
What Life?
posted Hide Post
Hi Piq,

Wow, this is quite an honor. Thank you for nominating me as WTFer-of-the-month.

Well to answer your first question, I kind of fell into pianos (not literally, though Wink ). Although I play and I have two degrees in this music thing, I had not planned on selling pianos for a living.

I have a degree in Music Ed. and one in Music Performance and when I graduated from school I had planned on teaching, perhaps in a school system while working with local opera companies and professional ensembles. My plan was to climb the local ladder of singers and performers, perhaps attend grad. school eventually, and see what might happen in that spectrum.

However, my first teaching job in Philadelphia was probably the worst position in the city (At the time, the newest guy took what nobody else wanted). Frankly, kids are kids. The kids I taught had the same desires, needs, and problems that every other kid in the universe had. I had no problem with that - BUT - I was unprepared for the socio-economic issues that I was confronted with daily, the parents on crack (literally), the unsupportive way that the other teachers and the principal viewed music, and the apathy of the school's staff in general.

After teaching for almost a semester in these conditions, I opened the newspaper to want ads and - Ta ta ta Tah!! - I saw an ad for help at Cunningham Piano Company.

Now I had been to Cunningham while I was in school. I shared a townhouse with three other guys (2 were musicians) and one of them bought a nice used upright piano from Cunningham. He asked me to check the piano for him before it was delivered to make sure it was OK. I did....

And I just about dropped my teeth when I toured the place. I had never even imagined that a cool place like Cunningham could exist. Seeing brands that I had only heard of, never seen, and a few I had never even heard of - I was flabbergasted! I watched rebuilders working on hundred year old Steinways and Masons. I watched refinishers bring cabinets back to life, and the experience changed the way I thought about pianos.

I never even considered that I would someday work there!

So, my avocation became my vocation, my new job became my passion, and a couple decaedes later... I own the place.

Posts: 2679 | Location: Philly/South Jersey | Registered: 17 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
i had wondered if you owned cunningham's or if you were the manager...

how did the store come to be named cunningham's? how did you come to own it?

have you always lived in philly? if not, where are you from originally?

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqaboo:
Rich, what made you choose to sell pianos for a living as opposed to 'getting a real job' as my mom would put it?

Piq, selling pianos is a real job. Playing them is the unreal one... Big Grin

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as tall as PL
What Life?
posted Hide Post
pique asked:
quote:
i had wondered if you owned cunningham's or if you were the manager...

how did the store come to be named cunningham's? how did you come to own it?

have you always lived in philly? if not, where are you from originally?

Pique,

First one, then the other. (First I was a manager, then I bought it.)

Why Cunningham? Well, Patrick J.Cunningham founded the organization in 1891. He began as one of many small East Coast piano builders who hand built their instruments in small numbers. He did this for fifty years and gained a reputation as a man with an eye for fashion, quality, and (after he made his money) society life.

After WWII, the company continued under Louis Cohen. He switched the focus to rebuilding, where it remains today.

The staff went through a "dry spell" as Cohen's daughters ran the company. They made very conservative decisions that wound up saving some dollars, but losing key rebuilding staff and important contacts.

Over the past years the staff and reach of the company has been steadily built to the point that we have Steinway dealers sending us their pianos to be rebuilt for them (instead of to Steinwy), clients coming to us from as far as Japan and Italy, and technicians who have left prestigious manufacturers to work for us.

Have I always lived in Philly? No, but I feel like Philly is home. I was born in Manhattan at St. Vincent's hospital. My father was a waiter in Greenwich Village at the time. The family moved to New Jersey so we could have a yard and later my father took a job in Philadelphia. I continued growing up in South Jersey (think half way between Philly and Atlantic City)

I left the area for college for a while, but returned to finish my degree at Temple U. in Philly.

The rest.... yuo already know. Smiler

Posts: 2679 | Location: Philly/South Jersey | Registered: 17 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
I want to hear everything there is to know about your singing experience, Rich.

Smiler

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rich galassini:
I kind of fell into pianos (not literally, though Wink )

LOL!

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
How well do you play the piano?

Do you do tech work?

Let's pretend it is a slow day in the store (or several in a row) and you have caught up with bookwork, tele calls etc...

What do you do? Sing, practice, tech stuff, us, computer browse or what have you?

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as tall as PL
What Life?
posted Hide Post
OT asked:
quote:
I want to hear everything there is to know about your singing experience, Rich.

OT,

There is not nearly as much to tell as I'd like there to be. I was only actively seeking singing work into my mid twenties, but since then I have friends who regularly ask me to do stuff for them.

While still a student and fresh out of college I did some opera work, first chorus work with The Pa. Opera Theater (now defunct), then a part or two with Northeast Opera (also defunct... is this a pattern I see?) I've never done any work with OCP here in Philly, but I would love to some day.

In addition, I've done concert work, working as a soloist with Temple U. choirs, once with Columbia University Concert Choir, BuxMont Chamber Orchestra here in Philly, Chorale Delaware, and numerous other local groups and choirs.

I've sung at The Casals Festival in San Juan (professional chorus work), done some musical theater (my favorite part was Tony from West Side Story), and sang with an a cappella quartet (No doo-wop though Wink ).

As I said, I don't look for singing work these days and haven't since my daughter Elisabeth was born, but it comes my way anyway.

Most recently, I have worked with a contemporary christian teen group. I never really thought I would do that, but it is a blast to do and combines my love of teaching with music. There are some rehearsals that a kid will bring something up that is on their mind and we wind up spending the entire practice talking. This is OK by me and frankly, the part I enjoy the most.

Not as tall as PL
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
How well do you play the piano?

Do you do tech work?

Let's pretend it is a slow day in the store (or several in a row) and you have caught up with bookwork, tele calls etc...

What do you do? Sing, practice, tech stuff, us, computer browse or what have you?

LL,

While I was at Temple, I took the piano technology class, basically a class on piano tuning. It included exposure to regulation, voicing, etc. This experience is probably what originally got me the job at Cunningham - as they do not like to have people on staff that are "unwashed" in pianospeak. Although I know alot about technical work and make decisions every day on what work to perform on a given piano, I do not actually do the work myself. I hav never made a living (and never will) as a piano technician.

I was a voice major at Temple, but technically a piano minor, as I studied piano as well there. Ido notplay anywhere nea as well as I'd like to and I actually do not tell "real pianists" that I am a pianist. That could be embarrassing. Leaving

You know, as far as a slow day goes - I can always find something to do, there are always things that ae important, but not particularly urgent that can be dealt with. Every so often I find I need soe recharge time and those are the times I will find a corner of the showroom and play (or sing) just for myself. This can be quite cathartic and at these times I do not think about the performance, only the joy of playing (or singing).

I should also mention that we actually have a quartet of professional level singers (I am generously including myself in this list) that work at Cunningham. One of them is my partner Tim Oliver. We have never actually sung through a lick of music, but constantly threaten to do so. Smiler

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
Hi Rich.

What avatar did you go with for Cunningham’s? I remember you once posted a topic here soliciting our opinion concerning this one particular avatar. It looked like an antique looking upright piano.

Did you set up a blog recently? How is it going?

Posts: 1410 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Wow, do you sound like you're from South Jersey? or from Philly? or did your vocal training beat all the accents out of you?

I would love to meet you some day and come tour Cunningham's. It looks like a great place. I might move in, though. Wink

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as tall as PL
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Qaanaaq-Liaaq:
Hi Rich.

What avatar did you go with for Cunningham’s? I remember you once posted a topic here soliciting our opinion concerning this one particular avatar. It looked like an antique looking upright piano.

Did you set up a blog recently? How is it going?

I actually do not remember the avatar thing. I am sure that I did ask opinions, but I have never actually used an avatar.

As far as the blog, WTFers gave me great advice on how to start a blog and on what looks work, what content, etc. It is going well. If you'd like to check it out, here is the link:

cunningham piano blog

After a little more thinking about the avatar, I know I posted about Cunningham Memoribilia (I collect the stuff) and there definitely was an antique upright on a Cunningham Piano bookmark that was put out in the 1920's.

Here it is:

OR, you might have meant an original letter that was mailed in 1906 or thereabouts (I know I posted this at some point - even though there is no antique upright on it) :

Not as tall as PL
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Wow, do you sound like you're from South Jersey? or from Philly? or did your vocal training beat all the accents out of you?

I would love to meet you some day and come tour Cunningham's. It looks like a great place. I might move in, though. Wink

I deplore what people call a South Jersey twang or a Philly accent. I don't think I have either, and I don't think I ever did. Vocal training includes diction, but there wonderful singers who have great language skills when they sing... but still speak the regional slang they grew up with. I guess you'll just have to tell me what YOU think when you visit!

I would LOVE for you to visit. It IS a great place. It is lots of fun to be involved with this industry in the way that I am. As far as moving in, we have a cot. Wink

Not as tall as PL
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilylady:

Actually, most slow days I call Beacon Chris and talk about OT! Evil ThumbsUp