well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    October WTFer of the Month - Grotriman
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

October WTFer of the Month - Grotriman
 Login/Join

Forum Groupie
Picture of Grotriman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
What have been some of the more influential books in your life?

Most enjoyable?

Most re-read?

Oh man - I'm a terrible reader. I read to learn a skill, or else it's biographical/historical stuff. "A World Lit Only by Fire" by William Manchester is awesome. I finished also his Winston Churchill biography (2 volumes) which is also fantastic. Other than that I read stuff which is probably really boring to others - Last Stand (Custer) by Nathanial Philbrick, In the Heart of the Sea (by same). These kind of things I love. I did read a novel called "A Winter's Tale" by Mark Helprin. Pique liked that one!

Otherwise - it's Digital Signal Processing Algorithms, or Linux Uncovered or something about controlling Electromagnetic Radiation in printed circuit boards.

I really have time for work, piano and then exercise. I do read audiophile mags and photography mags on long flights if I have the time.

I'm a big disappointment to my mom in this regard who was a voracious reader and now - I have a houseful of her books - and one of the last things she asked me was "what's going to happen to all my books?" so I can't even get rid of them - even though I need shelf space for music and CDS. :-(

Posts: 874 | Location: New York City | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Groupie
Picture of Grotriman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Besides music making & listening, what other interests occupy your time?

FOOD!

Bicycle

My wife & kids (of course and this I guess goes first)

Photography

The ocean - LOVE body surfing. Thru October with just a bathing suit normally (not this year - only till first week of Oct). Swimming, sailing, fishing, lying on the beach (for short amounts of time because it takes me away from the piano). :-)

Posts: 874 | Location: New York City | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Groupie
Picture of Grotriman
posted Hide Post
quote:
What have been some of the more influential books in your life?

Most enjoyable?

Most re-read?

LOL! Most re-read? Never. I have absolutely never re-read a book. That is pathetic isn't it? I do remember getting through the wind and the willows twice as a toddler, but my Mom was reading it. Not me. Same for Winnie the Pooh.

Then I entered the dark ages.

Forum Groupie
Picture of Grotriman
posted Hide Post
So is it auspicious that I end my WTFer of the month on Halloween? Is there some ritual that must be followed? Perhaps an incantation that can raise our collective skill levels on the piano?

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps an incantation that can raise our collective skill levels on the piano?

well if you have such an incantation please do not hold out on us--use it!

you have to pick the next wtfer of the month. someone around here will post the link to who all the other wtfers have been. you'll have to pick someone who hasn't yet had the honor.

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Groupie
Picture of Grotriman
posted Hide Post
Oy vey! "They" didn't tell me this when I accepted. :-(

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:

you have to pick the next wtfer of the month. someone around here will post the link to who all the other wtfers have been. you'll have to pick someone who hasn't yet had the honor.

I think we changed that PK. We are doing 2nd time around'ers too.

BTW, nope, don't pick me!

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Groupie
Picture of Grotriman
posted Hide Post
Alas November has arrived. I am honored to have had to reveal all of my personal defects hobbies and preferences to a bunch of folk I have a digital relationship with (save one or two).

It now befalls me to pass the torch. And for this I need a list of the passerto-s.

My services are at your command.

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grotriman:
Alas November has arrived. I am honored to have had to reveal all of my personal defects hobbies and preferences to a bunch of folk I have a digital relationship with (save one or two).

It now befalls me to pass the torch. And for this I need a list of the passerto-s.

My services are at your command.

here's the proverbial list - though missing you and I.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Actually, I was pleased to see that you are another avid collector of CDs... ThumbsUp

Forum Groupie
Picture of Grotriman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, I was pleased to see that you are another avid collector of CDs... ThumbsUp

Just a couple thousand LPS and thousand CDs or so.

:-(

I could have paid for one kid's college education at least.

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grotriman:
quote:

Just a couple thousand LPS and thousand CDs or so.

:-(

I could have paid for one kid's college education at least.

In some alternative universe, some other Ken invested all of the money he spent on CDs - and became the world's wealthiest person. Think of all the great music he missed. I feel sorry for him.

Forum Groupie
Picture of Grotriman
posted Hide Post
OK the search engine on this site isn't the best one I've seen. Or else I'm not the best user of this search engine.

I'm trying to look up other WTFers of the month and I come up with nothing. How can I learn who has been nominated over the last 12 months?

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:

here's the proverbial list - though missing you and I.

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Hey G -- so what kinda bicycle you got? (Me: beautiful Rivendell sport-touring custom, and a stock old Univega commuter with flat-free tires that feel crappy.)

So you're an audiophile? I almost hate to ask...but what equipment is good these days yet not ridiculously expensive?

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post