well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    October WTFer of the Month - Grotriman
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

October WTFer of the Month - Grotriman
 Login/Join

Forum Groupie
Picture of Grotriman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by Grotriman:
Now I'm working on his Sonatine and first having to memorize the last movement (the first two seem to fall under the fingers) as it is too fast and furious to read. So this is another toughy.

Love that piece. I haven't played it in a couple of years, though.

Could you play that last movement? It's a slugfest for me right now!

Posts: 874 | Location: New York City | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Yeah I could play it. I spent a long time getting there though.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Hey G - while we're all asking you questions...

Are you still working for the big conglomerate that bought your company? And have they integrated it fully or does it still operate more or less independently?

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Groupie
Picture of Grotriman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey G - while we're all asking you questions...

Are you still working for the big conglomerate that bought your company? And have they integrated it fully or does it still operate more or less independently?

Why you must be speaking of GE Healthcare! And yes they did fully assimilate the company. It operates in tight synchrony with all the other business units within the respiratory and sleep universe. All worker units with chip embedded! Smiler

Some of the process was destructive, but we are finally back to the level of business we had before they bought us.

Why do you ask?

Posts: 874 | Location: New York City | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Just curious if you've had to adjust to being a cog in the big GE machine or if you could still operate as a CEO.

Forum Groupie
Picture of Grotriman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just curious if you've had to adjust to being a cog in the big GE machine or if you could still operate as a CEO.

Well - it's been a period of adjustment. But, due to our public persona policy, I won't talk about it here!

I'm having a lot of fun pursuing business development issues.

We'll talk...

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
If you were taking a few CDs to that proverbial desert island. No Ipods allowed for some reason...what CDs would you have to have?

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well - it's been a period of adjustment. But, due to our public persona policy, I won't talk about it here!

Yeah, I wasn't going to even use the name of the company until you did. If you'd like us both to go back and edit it out, let me know.

Also - I saw that you called my cell - lets talk today.

Forum Groupie
Picture of Grotriman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
If you were taking a few CDs to that proverbial desert island. No Ipods allowed for some reason...what CDs would you have to have?

OK - that one's tough because I'm all over the place.

Schubert's last 3 piano sonatas for sure. But by who? Music more important than the interpretation to me, but Murray Parahia is OK by me.

XTC - quite a few of them but "English Settlement" for sure.

Prince (of course)

Brahms - Quintets, Intermezzi, Variations on a theme by..., and Symphonies.

How many CDs am I allowed?

Ravel & Debussy - all piano music and "L'enfant et le Sortilege" (sp?)

Suba - just made one album before he died in a fire in his studio. :-(

Love a lot of Mouse on Mars.

Haydn Piano Sonatas

Jean Luc Ponty

The Tubes

DJ Cheb I Shabbah

Scarlatti Sonatas

Chopin - preludes, nocturnes, etudes and then some.

Oh that's enough - I'm not going to live long on a desert Island anyhow without ETOH and by myself.

Forum Groupie
Picture of Grotriman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:

OK - so let me restate - I think you are saying just a few actual CDs. So here they are (one is a boxed set). Jes 3.

Shubert's Last 3 Sonatas Murray Parahia (Sony)
Brahms Complete Chamber Music (Brilliant Classics)
Sergai Rachmaninoff "The complete Recordings" (RCA Gold Seal).

These would be all I need to last me until my expiration.

I leave all the pop and jazz I love (didn't even get to Duke Ellington and all that stuff before, Richard Rodgers, Jerome Kern) because I'd be to morose contemplating the end.

LOL!

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
i have radu lupu playing the schubert sonatas and listen to it all the time. i'd love to know what you think of that performance. love perahia, too.

what, no late beethoven string quartets? are they not on your radar or have you never listened to them?

i'll have to check out the tubes and the other non-classical stuff. please remind young grotriman that he owes me a playlist. Wink

oh nevermind.

Posts: 21347 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Groupie
Picture of Grotriman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
i have radu lupu playing the schubert sonatas and listen to it all the time. i'd love to know what you think of that performance. love perahia, too.

what, no late beethoven string quartets? are they not on your radar or have you never listened to them?

i'll have to check out the tubes and the other non-classical stuff. please remind young grotriman that he owes me a playlist. Wink

oh nevermind.

Did you hear is latest composition yet?

"indecision"

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
What have been some of the more influential books in your life?

Most enjoyable?

Most re-read?

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Besides music making & listening, what other interests occupy your time?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also did his Minuet Antique but my wife hated to hear it and it made me self conscious to work on it. But I still like those scrunchy harmonies.

I love that piece, IIRC it was the first he published. I played that years ago, I should resurrect it at some point.