well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    Announcing the Aug 2010 WTF-er of the month.... jon-nyc!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Announcing the Aug 2010 WTF-er of the month.... jon-nyc!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
What's your Achilles heel?

Intelligent women.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Heh. You're a good man, jon.

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
What's your Achilles heel?

Intelligent women.

i can see that you'd be able to ace just about any job interview with the ability to come up with a "positive negative" like that. Big Grin

(classic job interview question: what are your weaknesses?)

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
Why do you hate Mozart?

I wouldn't say I hate it, but I find most of his piano music boring, with it's simple major-key melodic figures and naive Alberti bass accompaniment. I find it too Little-Lord-Fauntleroy-ish. Smiler

You obviously need to listen to more Mozart. Very few of his piano works have an alberti base or are written in a "simple" major key.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
jon, I hear you. A lot of people have similar criticisms of Mozart.

I've heard it described as "too sing songy." I've heard it described in even less flattering terms.

Mozart is far and away my favorite composer and I don't interpret it that way and I don't "hear" it that way.

But I've become convinced over my lifetime that some people do and I've come to the conclusion that it's to be expected because it's a big world with a lot of music in it. I myself don't care very much for Beethoven but it seems that most people love his music. Tastes vary and there's no way we could all like the same music.

Congrats on being named the August WTF-er of the month. Engjoy the grilling honor.

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
to me, mozart is the sound of love. it is the most sublime music in the world.

very little of it has the alberti bass and the sing-songy thing going on. i find his music to be very human and profound.

tastes change over a lifetime, jon.

are you open to the idea that you might change your opinion of mozart? Wink

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I love Mozart, too, but i'm finding that as I get older, I'm less enamored with his music than I once was. I played a lot of Mozart as a child - it was always my first choice if I got a say - and I think between that and how often his work is used in advertisements, etc, I've grown a bit tired of it.

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
are you open to the idea that you might change your opinion of mozart? Wink

I am, in fact.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
What's your favorite dessert?

Favorite composer?

Favorite pianist who is not a WTF member?

Which piece of music that you've tried to learn has challenged your piano skills the most?

Hepburn or Bergman?

Posts: 37910 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
What's your favorite dessert?

I'm not a dessert person at all, but I'd say a light fruit sorbet for lack of a better answer.

quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:Favorite composer?

Maurice Ravel. I love every note he wrote.

quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:Favorite pianist who is not a WTF member?

Probably Krystian Zimerman, though he's such a perfectionist that he lacks the range of others that I like. I also think his politics are naive and bizarre.

quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:Which piece of music that you've tried to learn has challenged your piano skills the most?

Probably Ravel's Jeux d'Eau.

quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:Hepburn or Bergman?

Ah, Bergman. But what a choice!

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
garbo or dietrich?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's a toughie, but I gotta go with Garbo. There's just something sexy about her reclusion in later life.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
good choice. dietrich was, um, not a good person.

plus i think garbo in "camille" (stupid movie) is such an exquisite vision, no one has ever surpassed her beauty.

so what did you end up doing with the salmon?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I did a version of what Dol and WTG suggested. There are several others I want to try too, but by the time I sorted it out I didn't feel like heading back out so I had to improvise with what I had here.

Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
What do you like least about Brooklyn?
How old were you when you first
Which countries have you visited?
What's your least favorite memory from high school?
Have you ever had a best friend of the opposite sex? (No fair trying to say your wife. I mean in a purely platonic sense.)

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post