well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    Announcing the Aug 2010 WTF-er of the month.... jon-nyc!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Announcing the Aug 2010 WTF-er of the month.... jon-nyc!
 Login/Join

Gadfly
Picture of apple*
posted Hide Post
kansas city

Posts: 4933 | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Why do you hate Mozart?

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
good question, mark! popcorn

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Jeffrey
posted Hide Post
How is Stockholm as a vacation spot?

Posts: 6497 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
Why do you hate Mozart?

I wouldn't say I hate it, but I find most of his piano music boring, with it's simple major-key melodic figures and naive Alberti bass accompaniment. I find it too Little-Lord-Fauntleroy-ish. Smiler

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey:
How is Stockholm as a vacation spot?

For now let me just say beautiful and family friendly, I'll provide a full report when I'm home and no longer typing on an iPad.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
when I'm home and no longer typing on an iPad.

Which begs the question, how do you like typing on an iPad? Big Grin

Posts: 34965 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
Why didn't you answer my question? What am I, chopped liver?

Confused

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
when I'm home and no longer typing on an iPad.

Which begs the question, how do you like typing on an iPad? Big Grin

Better than typing on a cellphone, but still far inferior to a real computer. I love my iPad, but it is decidedly *not* for content creation. A 10 word post is fine, but if I'm writing a couple of paragraphs, I'll go to my Mac.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt G.:
Why didn't you answer my question?

Confused

I did! See my first post in this thread, 2nd sentence.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt G.:
What am I, chopped liver?

No!

(not that there's anything wrong with chopped liver Wink )

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
A couple of questions...

If I remember correctly, your college education was as an engineer. When and why did you leave that profession for what you do now? (by the way, what do you do now?)

Do you have any other hobbies/avocations besides the piano?

If you transition to teaching, what would you teach? Have you considered teaching overseas? (I have a friend who retired from a CFO position to teaching who finds his eastern European students are most attentive when he teaches overseas.)

Big Al

Posts: 7409 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
ok, these threads are not very interesting unless you ask the really nosy questions:

how come you keep quitting your jobs?

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
A couple of questions...

If I remember correctly, your college education was as an engineer. When and why did you leave that profession for what you do now? (by the way, what do you do now?)

I never really entered the profession. I had two summer internships where I worked as an electrical engineer but found the culture of engineering departments stifling (this was in the Midwest, maybe if I had been in Silicon Valley it would have been different)

So I took a job with a management consulting firm coming out of college. I was there for 14 years, did work in lots of industries at first but eventually settled on financial services.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
Do you have any other hobbies/avocations besides the piano?

I am a voracious reader, almost exclusively non-fiction. (I might read 2-3 fiction books a year only). I also like to cook and travel.