well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    Announcing the Aug 2010 WTF-er of the month.... jon-nyc!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Announcing the Aug 2010 WTF-er of the month.... jon-nyc!
 Login/Join

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted
(take two. Thanks, Matt! Wink )

I can't believe jon-nyc has not been a victim yet! Considering his score on the purity test, this may prove to be an...enlightening month!

1. What has surprised you the most about being a parent?

2. You mentioned a while back that you were considering changing professions and becoming a teacher. Is that still on the table? What prompted the idea?

3. You have done a lot of traveling. What is the one thing that everyone should see before they die?

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
So, when do you get back from Sweden?

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
How many more continents does baby-nyc have on his list?

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the high honor, Dol, I did figure I wouldn't be able to duck this indefinitely...

Let me start by answering Matt's question, since it will affect the frequency with which I check in. We leave Sweden next Saturday, I think I'll be home sometime in the afternoon. Until then I can still check in once a day, sometimes more. I get up before everyone else by a two or three hour margin, which gives me some quality internet time.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:

1. What has surprised you the most about being a parent?

I guess I was expecting a bigger lifestyle change. Everyone says your life completely changes when you have a kid, but in our case it didn't seem so. Of course hints are different, but I think by having a kid very late thighs change less. Its not like we were clubbing 3 nights a week before the kid. Most evenings we'd crack a bottle of wine and cook a nice dinner, we still do that. Of course we travel less often, but that has hardly disappeared (he says, as he types from Stockholm)

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
2. You mentioned a while back that you were considering changing professions and becoming a teacher. Is that still on the table? What prompted the idea?

Yes, it's still on the table, it's a question of timing. It would involve a complicated life change (we'd leave New York) so it's something that would take some planning. It will still likely happen at some point. It could even be soon. Our plans are still in the air.

As for what prompted it - interesting quesiton, a friend of mine form high school reminds e that even then I said I wanted to have a first careeer in business the switch to teaching later in life (which I had forgotten), so apparently it's been my plan the whole time. As for my motivation, there's a push and a pull. I've always liked the idea of teaching (which I realize may be distinct from the reality of teaching), and on the push side Im pretty tired of the rat race. I should add that now that I've been out of the rat race for 4 months, it seems less tiresome than it did, say, six months ago. So I still may go back into it for a couple of more years before making the switch. On the other hand, one of the attractions is certainly the ability to be more of a constant presence in baby-nyc's life, so that would indicate to make the jump sooner rather than later. So we'll see...

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:

3. You have done a lot of traveling. What is the one thing that everyone should see before they die?

I would say the ocean. Or maybe the sun setting over the ocean. Since no one place in particular stands out as the one place.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
How many more continents does baby-nyc have on his list?

Why, the rest of them of course! (assuming you mean the 'to be visited' list)

He's only been to two, so there are five more. I intend to take him most if not all of them!

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
...but I think by having a kid very late thighs change less

Well thank goodness your thighs aren't changing much!

Evil

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
How many pianos did you test drive before you purchased your Bosie? Piano row in there somewhere?

And who came up with the window entry for delivery?

And how much had you played before purchasing it? I forget your musical background. Could you refresh us?

How did you find Rachel? She just moved, did you know? She is fairly active on Facebook.

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilylady:
quote:
...but I think by having a kid very late thighs change less

Well thank goodness your thighs aren't changing much!

Evil

Heh. Of course I meant 'things'. The iPad autocorrects my typos incorrectly all the time.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
How many pianos did you test drive before you purchased your Bosie? Piano row in there somewhere?

And who came up with the window entry for delivery?

I played quite a few, all of the tier ones and some of the tier twos I did it over the course of a month or so, CJQ was with me for much of it. The one piano I didn't try because they lacked a dealer in NY at the time was Bluthner.

The guy from Bosendorfer NY came to my place and decided we need a window delivery.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Where would you go if you moved?

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
And how much had you played before purchasing it? I forget your musical background. Could you refresh us?

How did you find Rachel? She just moved, did you know? She is fairly active on Facebook.

I had played for about 10 years by the time I bought my Bosie. I had a Chickering grand years ago, when I first really started playing in the mid-90s. I had to leave that in Chicago when I moved to NYC, but then got a Baldwin Hamilton upright. I had the Baldwin up to the time I got the Bosie.

Re Rachel, I saw on FB that she moved. I haven't had a lesson in over a year, what with the new baby and all.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Where would you go if you moved?

I don't know, that's probably the most difficult part of the decision.